Hardware Resetting a 3ds?

Steve The Squid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got an XL from a friend. I don't want to keep his account and stuff on the 3ds, so it looks like I'm going to have to do a factory reset or whatever. But he has the ambassador program games, and I'd really like to keep those.

Can I reset the ds, and still keep those games? They're stored to the SD card that he gave me with the 3ds. I'd like to do a reset, and then just put the SD card back in. Since they're nice games, I'd rather keep his account and the games, than have my own account and no games.

Also, he gave me paper mario, mario kart, and mario 3d land for the 3ds, and I've been playing them already. Do any of them have content saved that isn't on the cartridge that I'd have to worry about (besides streetpass stuff?)

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Games on their own carts - don't worry, nothing will disappear

Ambassador - this is a problem. Resetting the 3DS fully will remove those games (as well as anything bought on eShop) as they are bound to the eShop account (sort of). When you reset the console, it technically makes a new one. And placing the SD card back in won't help, as it won't recognize the game (them being signed for the old account).
Only thing you could do is to make your own Club Nintendo account (someone else will have to explain how to safely change it), but the Nintendo Network account MUST stay the same.

Steve The Squid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh. Maybe I'll just beat all the ambassador games, and then kill it.

I figure I can also look into those cartridge thingies that can play roms and then just play these games later, but so far I know nothing about them ;-;

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I figure I can also look into those cartridge thingies that can play roms and then just play these games later, but so far I know nothing about them ;-;

Well, sadly it's hard to play GBA games on 3DS. I don't think it's possible to play them on Gateway flashcart, and DS mode is not powerful enough for emulating GBA. There is that one cart called Supercard DStwo, which apparently is able to do it, but as I don't have it I can't say much about it.

Steve The Squid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, sadly it's hard to play GBA games on 3DS. I don't think it's possible to play them on Gateway flashcart, and DS mode is not powerful enough for emulating GBA. There is that one cart called Supercard DStwo, which apparently is able to do it, but as I don't have it I can't say much about it.

How easy are these things to use? I feel I'm better than most when it comes to using tech, but I have a hard time with low-level computer stuff. Are they very plug-and-play, or do I have to mess with firmwares and code and stuff?

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How easy are these things to use? I feel I'm better than most when it comes to using tech, but I have a hard time with low-level computer stuff. Are they very plug-and-play, or do I have to mess with firmwares and code and stuff?

For DS mode flashcarts (that includes Supercard DStwo) you don't have to mess with anything.

For gateway however, you need to have a 4.1.x to 4.5.x version of 3DS's firmware (and before you ask, no, there is no way to downgrade) and you have to mess around a bit.

Steve The Squid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what would the advantage of gateway be? It doesn't look like it has a lower price from what I've seen.

All these chinese websites have very little information on them :/

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gateway (there is also an MT-Card and 1 or 2 others that can, but can't remember names) can play 3DS game ROMs.
DS mode flashcarts only allow to play DS games.

Steve The Squid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, well that would be ideal!

My xl has the recent updates, so it looks like I'm boned until they come out with something new. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.