nic0lette

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

So the original "NTR" is still around, but there's never going to be any development on it, and the bugs that exist, particularly the crashing after leaving a game unless one reboots, is (at least to be) rather annoying.

It's awesome that people have been able to update BootNTR to work with new versions of the home menu, but it would be even better if we could get development on the core system as well.

Is there any hope of someone else building a system that allows for cheating and, ideally, RomFS style loading? A new, open source, project that others can build upon to make some really neat features?

Is there some way that those of us who want this may be able to incentivize those who have the time and knowledge to build it?

Sicsuicide

Console Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything I could see the features of NTR being baked into another firmware(i.e.Luma) but not a new version

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish this was possible. With all the advancements in 3DS hacking, NTR's almost being like the old man that doesn't want to leave his house. All you can do is give him a new rocking chair to sit on, but you can't get him to leave the house and move to somewhere nicer. If I'm not mistaken, what is ultimately preventing a full scale upgrade of NTR is the fact it's close sourced, and the developer, cell9 won't open source it, and has all but abandoned NTR. This is going off memory, it's been a while. The reset thing is horrible, using a soft reset bot on Pokemon games for legendary catching, it will always break, no matter what the streak will be due to the black screen reset thing.

Reactions: Zidapi

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nic0lette

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish this was possible. With all the advancements in 3DS hacking, NTR's almost being like the old man that doesn't want to leave his house. All you can do is give him a new rocking chair to sit on, but you can't get him to leave the house and move to somewhere nicer. If I'm not mistaken, what is ultimately preventing a full scale upgrade of NTR is the fact it's close sourced, and the developer, cell9 won't open source it, and has all but abandoned NTR. This is going off memory, it's been a while. The reset thing is horrible, using a soft reset bot on Pokemon games for legendary catching, it will always break, no matter what the streak will be due to the black screen reset thing.

Yeah. I mean, cell9 made his choice and that's fine, but I think that there are more than enough talented people in the scene, and enough progress on learning the architecture better, that we can have something better now. (NTR was great, don't get me wrong, and part of the problem is just that it's dead now)

The silly thing here is that I really don't like that it's called NTR since that conflicts with "NTR" meaning DS mode, which endlessly confuses me. (Sorry)

Use ntr 3.3 for games (won't crash) and 3.4 for recording (this one will crash) and use bootntr selector
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-bootntr-selector.432911/

I didn't know that. Thank you. That may help a lot with my particular usage of it at least.

Reactions: elBenyo

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If anything I could see the features of NTR being baked into another firmware(i.e.Luma) but not a new version
It won't be baked into Luma, pretty sure. NTR CFW is not a CFW in the same sense as Luma or Corbenik.

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet one will appear out of nowhere, the same how cell9 seemed to come out of no where ;)
But there's no predicting what's going to happen next in the 3ds hacking scene... For all we know, someone could be making a cheat loader like Gateway or someone could be REing NTR to make their own... Some devs like to be quiet with their work so others don't bother them about it, so please be patient, as unless someone has proof of a better alternative to NTR, we don't know what's going to happen:unsure:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It won't be baked into Luma, pretty sure. NTR CFW is not a CFW in the same sense as Luma or Corbenik.
NTR CFW is a CFW. It patches the firmware once you load it, hence why it's called CFW (custom firmware)

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Kinda reminds me of "one-certain-CFW" users. In fact, NTR users are pretty much the same. They say "we should be grateful that we even have NTR". And while yes, we should, it shouldn't stop anyone in trying to advance the scene. It still has bugs, it's less stable than Gateway cheats (and this is something that the Gateway-less Master Race is still to overcome), and possibilities for this tool are pretty much endless.
Deep inside I am really looking forward to some sort of the "ultimate" 3DS update that will implement huge NATIVE_FIRM changes, breaking NTR, "one-certain-CFW" and pushing people to move forward (although this thought is pretty cruel).

P.S. yes, yes, it's pretty hard, why am I not trying to do this myself etc. Who said it should be easy? This IS the reason why we should be grateful that we had Cell9. Doesn't disprove anything abovementioned

Last edited by Elveman,

Nanquitas

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Nanquitas was REing it, and trying to make an open source version, not sure how the project is going tho.
Easy to say: my laptop fried as well as my data...

I may be able to recover it, but not before some time...

Plus for now I'm working on an other project in order to learn cpp.

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The reset thing is horrible, using a soft reset bot on Pokemon games for legendary catching, it will always break, no matter what the streak will be due to the black screen reset thing.

Disable the PSS (then you don't need the Wi-Fi fix) to get around that. With NTR video streaming running to record my attempts I have soft resetted 2000+ times without break with no crashes.

With the PSS active it crashed every 34 resets.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disable the PSS (then you don't need the Wi-Fi fix) to get around that. With NTR video streaming running to record my attempts I have soft resetted 2000+ times without break with no crashes.

With the PSS active it crashed every 34 resets.

You used the SR bot on PKMN-NTR? I can never get pass 99, it's so weird and annoying.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I bet one will appear out of nowhere, the same how cell9 seemed to come out of no where ;)
But there's no predicting what's going to happen next in the 3ds hacking scene... For all we know, someone could be making a cheat loader like Gateway or someone could be REing NTR to make their own... Some devs like to be quiet with their work so others don't bother them about it, so please be patient, as unless someone has proof of a better alternative to NTR, we don't know what's going to happen:unsure:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

NTR CFW is a CFW. It patches the firmware once you load it, hence why it's called CFW (custom firmware)
I say it again, it is not. Hell, not even Luma is a CFW itself. If anything, it is a patcher. It is not a custom firmware. NTR, even less, given the fact that it needs a CFW in the first place. Again, NTR doesn't work in the same way as the other CFWs, hence my "not a CFW in the same sense as Luma".

EDIT: Hell, Luma doesn't even call itself a CFW in its README.

"Luma3DS is a program to patch the system software of (New) Nintendo 3DS handheld consoles "on the fly", adding features (such as per-game language settings and debugging capabilities for developers) and removing restrictions enforced by Nintendo (such as the region lock). It also allows you to run unauthorized ("homebrew") content by removing signature checks.
To use it, you will need a console capable of running homebrew software on the ARM9 processor. We recommend Plailect's guide for details on how to get your system ready."

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

RyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, a "real" cfw would be a firmware directly patched, something like a ps3 / psp cfw.
Yes, but for the 3DS, all cfw needs a loader to temporarily patch the firmware on boot (or whenever you load the arm9 payload) or else Nintendo could just break it with a firmware update, if you directly patched it inside the firmware itself. You used to have to boot arm9 payloads through browserhax or MSET, so for NTR, you have to launch BootNTR, so BootNTR can patch the firmware to enable its features.
But I'm sure sooner or later we'll have NTR's features baked into Luma. Hell, we already have dumping RAM when your 3DS crashes, overclocking patches for New3DS and language plugins, so it's a great start ;)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, but for the 3DS, all cfw needs a loader to temporarily patch the firmware on boot (or whenever you load the arm9 payload) or else Nintendo could just break it with a firmware update, if you directly patched it inside the firmware itself. You used to have to boot arm9 payloads through browserhax or MSET, so for NTR, you have to launch BootNTR, so BootNTR can patch the firmware to enable its features.
But I'm sure sooner or later we'll have NTR's features baked into Luma. Hell, we already have dumping RAM when your 3DS crashes, overclocking patches for New3DS and language plugins, so it's a great start ;)
That would be too bloated imo, not to mention you'd have to reboot to actually change the settings whenever you wanted to disable it. I prefer keeping it separate.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

RyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be too bloated imo, not to mention you'd have to reboot to actually change the settings whenever you wanted to disable it. I prefer keeping it separate.
Or be like Gateway and have an option to enable/disable it on the fly. And I'd assume if NTR (or a clone) were to be added to Luma, then it'd be a lot more stable than it is now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2