Hardware Replacing the inner shell of a new 3ds xl, and the middle section.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm suprised I haven't really found anything about replacing the middle shell of a 3ds (the middle part, where the LED is to the right of the console, and another part of it to the left.)

I'm just curious becuase I wanted to swap the top & bottom part of my 3ds shells (the outer ones) but have a good color palate for a console so nothing looks "werid" a good example in my opinion would be the latest pikachu 3ds shell casing but it would look werid with a blue/red/white middle casing and maybe the inner casing sometimes. I was just wondering from personal experience how diffcult it would be to replace the shell in the middle of the 3ds, and the inner shell of the 3ds (the part where the 3ds folds open with the screens.) I looked at tutorials and replacing the outer shells looks very easy but i'm not so sure about the middle & inner casings.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well. if you want to replace the middle piece, you have to completely disassemble it (pop out screens and unscrew/disconnect everything)
I wouldn't mind doing that at some point as long as no soldering is required. I just can't find any instructions on how to do it though is my main problem :/.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No soldering required. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346
Follow it to step 26. from there, you can begin reassembling the device. Just use the new part in the reassembly. I've done this multiple times on an O3DS. The hardest part is organization so good luck.
Thanks dude, hopefully now I can get a start on tackling & replacing my shells with something neater :)

I will probably get started at some point once I know everything is safe for the most part (which it should be.) I know if I break something small like a ribbon cable I know in the end I will just be replacing it again without needing soldering. That said, I'm probably going to figure out how to do this over the next few months.

Cheers! :yay3ds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?