Replacing the inner shell of a new 3ds xl, and the middle section.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by petethepug, Jul 20, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I'm suprised I haven't really found anything about replacing the middle shell of a 3ds (the middle part, where the LED is to the right of the console, and another part of it to the left.)

I'm just curious becuase I wanted to swap the top & bottom part of my 3ds shells (the outer ones) but have a good color palate for a console so nothing looks "werid" a good example in my opinion would be the latest pikachu 3ds shell casing but it would look werid with a blue/red/white middle casing and maybe the inner casing sometimes. I was just wondering from personal experience how diffcult it would be to replace the shell in the middle of the 3ds, and the inner shell of the 3ds (the part where the 3ds folds open with the screens.) I looked at tutorials and replacing the outer shells looks very easy but i'm not so sure about the middle & inner casings.

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    well. if you want to replace the middle piece, you have to completely disassemble it (pop out screens and unscrew/disconnect everything)

3. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I wouldn't mind doing that at some point as long as no soldering is required. I just can't find any instructions on how to do it though is my main problem :/.

4. Jordan Wessley

Jordan Wessley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
  5. Tekniquez

Tekniquez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Gl looping the cables through the hinge is a bitch. Patience is key

6. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Thanks dude, hopefully now I can get a start on tackling & replacing my shells with something neater :)

I will probably get started at some point once I know everything is safe for the most part (which it should be.) I know if I break something small like a ribbon cable I know in the end I will just be replacing it again without needing soldering. That said, I'm probably going to figure out how to do this over the next few months.

Cheers! :yay3ds: