Replacing PS3 bluray drive

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DinohScene, Dec 21, 2012.

Dec 21, 2012

DinohScene Femboy

Message Count:
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hey PS3 geeks.

As some of you may know I acquired a "broken" PS3 a weekish ago.
    Cleaned the console and tested the BD drive, didn't work on blu-ray games/films nor did it work on normal DVD/PS2 games.

So my question is.
    Is it possible to replace the entire PS3 BD drive?
    Or is it paired to the console with a drive key like the 360 has?
    I remember something from the 3K3Y that you'd need to obtain a drivekey to let the console recognize the ODDE but does this also apply to an actual BD drive itself?

Anyway thankies in advance~

Psionic Roshambo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If it has 3.55 or lower firmware on it you can install a hacked firmware then use either emulation or you can replace the drive and re pair the key from the drive to the machine.

If the firmware is over 3.55 I think you have to send it some one to either have it hardware flashed to a lower version and hacked or sent to Sony for some $$$. (From what I understand about sending in PS3's for repair to Sony out of warranty is that its pretty much cheaper just to buy a new one.)

DinohScene Femboy

Message Count:
    Atlantic Ocean
    I know that there are NOR flashers that let me downgrade it to 2.50 (originally installed on it as it's a CECHL console)

I'm not sending it to Sony cause yeh, I hardly care about the PS at all (yay Xbox <3)
    And hacking it, yeh I am planning on getting a NOR flasher and soldering it on the console but having a working BD drive is a neat thing to rip games to the HDD.

marcus134 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I acquired a broken ps3 myself, with a dead drive. I changed the drive's cart with one I purchased online and now it's fully functional. No drive pairing issue at all.

I believe that the key is on the drive's controller pcb, so if you have a defective motor or optical group simply replacing those part is not only more cost effective, but will also save you from drive pairing hassle.

DinohScene Femboy

Message Count:
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hmm, well I might get a complete drive from some one so yeh why bother with unscrewing shit then ;p

that + the flatcable connector on the drive (the tiny lid thingy) is somewhat... snapped off ;p
    Drive still works as in it swallows discs but doesn't read them so I suspect the optical group being faulty indeed.

Anyway did you replace the entire drive or just a section of it?

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    "Re-marry ps3 drive" is what you should google. I can't explain it that well because there are various methods for different fws iirc.

marcus134 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    just the cart
    http://gamerepairworld.com/ps3_lens_with_mechanism_kem-410aca.html
    could've replace the optical group only, it would've saved me 4$, but went for the cart cause the assembly required was much easier (4 screws and 2 ribbon cable)

DinohScene Femboy

Message Count:
    Atlantic Ocean
    Ahkay.

I'll google the Remarry thingy and if it's to much of an hassle then I'll replace the cart.

Cheers for your help fellas!