Hardware Replacing a dead BD drive

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not on either of my consoles, thankfully.

While working, one of the customers was mentioning about how he was having problems with his 80GB model ps3. From the symptoms described, it sounds like a dead BD drive. Should be simple, right?

I'm just wondering if it actually is simple, or what all I would need to do. I know that with regard to the Xbox 360, usually it would be a matter of finding and purchasing the same-model DVD drive, and flashing appropriately keyed firmware, so it would pair up with the console.

However, I wonder whether I have to do this as well with the ps3, or if it is a simple matter of finding a replacement BD drive on (a REPUTABLE seller) or eBay and then popping it into place. Any help on this regard?

Would help me make some money on the side, and hopefully get referrals to do more good work.
nayps3.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IIRC, BD drives are locked to the console, and there's no way to change the key inside it.

The drive will work in the new PS3, but it'll just play movies, no games.

You'd be better changing the lens/laser assembly, keeping the PCB.

EDIT: Or otherwise, if it's jailbreakable/jailbreaked, you can try this: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/finally-rem...consoles-83352/

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How difficult/time-consuming/tedious is replacing the laser on a ps3's BD drive?

I'm curious so that I know how much to appropriately charge for the labor. I'm not doing it for free (thank god), but I want to undercut Sony's absurd fee as much as possible to earn more business.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.