Dark_Knight_DA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Greetings everybody,

I was fiddling with my ags-101 LCD that i received of ebay a few days ago, trying to figure out what was wrong with it (turned out it was a flex cable fault but that is another story). While looking at the screen, a noticed a film stuck on top of the screen and as a blithering idiot, i decided to remove it.

Needless to say, i ended up removing the polarizing film, so now my LCD is all white and nice. In order to salvage an otherwise perfect screen, i figured out i could buy an aftermarket film to replace the damaged one. Thing is, i am not aware of the orientation, should i go for a 0,45 or a 90 degree one?

Thank you in advance

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Go with a 90 degree one, and cut it to fit. Not sure how to adhere it though... You're on your own there, unless someone here can help you with that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most don't repair screens at this level, though I agree for a few cents of polarising film it might be worth a go. I don't know the orientation offhand and don't have any normal film here to tell from (probably only have the circular stuff you get in 3d cinema glasses), not to mention no ags101 screen and only the earlier ones.

Means to affix.
Assuming you have not got another way of capturing it (say a nice glass panel like I see some aftermarket peeps doing), a couple of points on the edge of the shell you can put some non optical glue on, or a means to tack it onto the very edge with heat or something you are probably looking at the same sorts of things done for phone screens and digitisers. That being UV curing glue, a UV box you can sandwich it in and the means to clean it as getting dust and bubbles in there would be very annoying.

Dark_Knight_DA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Go with a 90 degree one, and cut it to fit. Not sure how to adhere it though... You're on your own there, unless someone here can help you with that.

I am pretty sure that the film has its own transparent adhesive, so as long as i manage to get the orientation right, installing it should not present any issues. For now i ordered a film originally intended for a Samsung Galaxy S6 screen and fingers crossed that it works correctly. If it does not however, i will order and different kind and give it another shot

clean it as getting dust and bubbles in there would be very annoying.

I will certainly do that no matter what method i follow, since my OCD will not leave me alone knowing a speck of dust is permanently trapped there

Last edited by Dark_Knight_DA,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I try not to play to things like OCD I should say that when learning to solder we tend to get people to find a piece of junk electronics and have a play. A similar learning curve I have seen with screen repair but devices with screens in various states of disrepair and the parts of fix them/mod them/do something and return it to a working state (and ease at which things can be poked time and time again) are rather thinner on the ground.

Dark_Knight_DA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, not literally diagnosed with OCD, but when it comes to screens i am really intolerant when it comes to trapped dust and debris. I have already dismantled my 3DS lens a couple of times for this very reason.
To be honest, i have never tried installing a polarizer before, but i have installed protective films on screens with great results. Is it supposed to be that much harder?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Is anyone familiar with former forum opg.life ? I missed the transition to the new forum over...