Repair a ps4 with broken hdmiport

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by loler55, Jan 3, 2017.

1. loler55
    OP

loler55 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Hey guys i bought last week a ps4 for 50€ with a broken hdmi port (2 pins are away)
    To hard work to change the hdmiport
    https://www.sintech-shop.de/hdmi-buchse-fuer-playstation-4/a-9132/
    Plz only buy the orginal hdmiport ...
    not every connector is working on the ps4
    many people have buyed hdmi smd female connector on amazon and all people write (dont buy it no function)

I open the console and become dirt and dust like in 8years old laptops....... i realize that i have to clean it everyyear..

So what i have too do to fix the broken pins ?
    Right! I cut a hdmi cable and search the 2 right cable to make a bypass 14834271485431035571137.jpg ,and solder it on the hdmiport direct before the 2 broken pins

I opened the hdmi port to see big enough soldering points 20170103_073101.jpg 1483426556090148764717.jpg
    Dont forget new thermal compound
    1483426674805-597799459.jpg
    I make with a little srew driver the hole a littlebit bigger for the 2 cables
    1483427391190592142988.jpg

Costs: ps4 50€
    Hdmicable 3€
    Thermal compound 5€
    Networkcable 2€
    Hdmi-clutch 3€(to protect the hmdi-cable thats soldered on)

My frend have better soldering skills and comming in a few hours
    I will update this threath
    Any questions?

Ps: when you have pins broken on the other side then you cant solder it in the hdmi port but i found out you can solder it here too but small soldering points too 14834287260762034343572.jpg
    This is the other boardsite direct under the hdmi port you have to desolder the shield before you see the solderingpoints from Playstation 4 Chip MN86471A HDMI Transmitter they are connectet to the hdmiport

Last edited by loler55, Jan 5, 2017
  2. NinFan

NinFan Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2016
    Indonesia
    Wow I hope it will work.
    Nice Solution
    and really cheap

3. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    very cool, will read updates, nice work so far

loler55 likes this.
  4. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    i think i make for this better a new post..How to fix a pin thats bent like mine pin 3 from the left side
    1.jpg
    1:buy clue
    2:use a small screwdriver to do the pin in the right position
    do a littlebit clue of the driver go with the driver behind the pin
    3:use a other small screwdriver to press the pin in the right position
    4:wait
    5:use a knife an go a little bit over the pin remove the unnecessary clue
    6:connect a hdmi cable and measuring from the right point on the mainboard from the hdmi-port, to the right point on the other end from the hdmicable (TV side)

Last edited by loler55, Jan 3, 2017
    peteruk likes this.
  5. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Soo update: 2 cable are soldered and isolated with glue 20170103_194409.jpg

Will Update When the clue is hard.. Tomorow

so 12 hours later and i hate clue ...cant wait and its not complete hard

Last edited by loler55, Jan 4, 2017
    peteruk likes this.
  6. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Muhahahaha its worked wonderfull with a litllebit alluminium as radiationsshield 14835201797821937782840.jpg

640gb seagate worked too

wait of a good price from a ps4 controller, and then i hope so we can play backups in the future...

gnmmarechal, Xenon Hacks and peteruk like this.
  7. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    Glad you got it all working mate, didn't cost you much either so you must be very pleased :)

8. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    i only payed 50euros for the console itself .the rest are here before like glue hdmicable networkcable Hdd etc

so im very happy about this and i hope anyone can do the same

ps i think its better you dont cut the hdmicable .. open only the Plug and solder here the cables on....
    (reason: without radiationshield it gives Disturbances)
    (you cannot use every hdmi cable) (when you open a bad one the shielding is not soldered on the hdmi Plug you open it and automatic the shielding goes off... its only pinched...

Happy tinkering:) why i not soldered a new port:
    not everyone have a hot air soldering station @home......

1:why should i solder a new Port??????
    my solution works just as well

2:my solution its easyer as solder a new port on

3:a new port costs money

4:many counterfeit hdmi-ports are in circulation
    Which do not work

5:when my sollution not worked i can still change the port itself....
    morecosts zero. nothing to loose

peteruk likes this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You don't need hot air or IR for a replacement port, I like to do such things with hot air but drag soldering works just as well for a fairly fine pitch port like this as long as you have solder mask on the board you are trying your luck with.

gnmmarechal, loler55 and peteruk like this.
  10. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    You dont say anything to my work:(
    Solder mask . Never heard but interesting ..
    Lets google

Wow next time when i replace something i do it with solder mask thx;)
    But a port cost 15 euros + 15 euros for solder mask;)

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You might have found the wrong thing. If you found a metal or plastic shield (something like http://rayshobby.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/img-6.jpg , usually called a stencil in English) for applying BGA balls or solder paste to a board in a pattern then while such things would be nice to have for this it is not what I meant. The solder mask in this case is the shiny coloured top layer (usually green or blue but can be any number of other colours) of the PCB that most commercial boards have, it stops solder sticking to it and means it tends to only go on the pins. If you do something with a homebrew PCB (or veroboard/stripboard) it will likely not have it though.

Remove the old port, clean it up with solder braid. After that take a well tip soldering iron (for best results, any iron can do drag soldering) and run a ball of solder along the pins of the new port after it has been placed on the board. The solder mask should mean it only goes on the pins and sticks it down. You might have to clean up a bridged connection (where you would go across the pins on the initial pass this tends to want to go with the pins) or if one gets missed then sort that but it is a very effective way to do relatively fine pitch surface mount soldering with only a soldering iron.

Hot air or IR, a sheet/stencil like the image linked, solder paste in a syringe and other such gear is nicer but drag soldering is still effective. Many times if I have to fix a microUSB port or something I will not feel like busting out the hot air and instead just do that.

Videos

First part is air but the second part is drag soldering

loler55 likes this.
  12. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    how the hell did someone brak it that way? good job though... a new connector (search for hdmi smd female connector shouldn't be so hard to find and shoeld also not be to expensive)

loler55 likes this.
  13. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I would've just replaced the HDMI port :P Or in lack of a suitable part, I'd have bought one of these: http://neotechbangladesh.com/wp-con...-to-female-extension-cable-e1409219559770.jpg
    Cut off the male part, directly solder the cables on the board and then enjoy a new, extended external HDMI port :P With the massive advantage that you can always replace the cable if you need a longer one or if something goes wrong with the current one.

14. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
  15. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    thank you !

i think he fall over the cable or similar
    not every connector is working on the ps4.. many people buy new hdmi smd female connector and its not working ...

thats a nice idea too but hey i do the same:) but behind my hdmi cable
    first post: Hdmi-clutch 3€(to protect the hmdi-cable thats soldered on)

i dont think it will work with this .how i say many people have buyed hddmi smd female connector on amazon and all people write (dont buy it no function)

this is the orginalport ive found https://www.sintech-shop.de/hdmi-buchse-fuer-playstation-4/a-9132/

Last edited by loler55, Jan 5, 2017
  16. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    there's no software in the connector, or anything, if the pins line-up, and the connector is in excactly the same position (not upside down like most cheap models are) then it shouldn't make a difference... upside down connector will be mirrored in pin setup, so i looked more close... it should be excactly the same connector, of the original is 19 pins (i couldn't really see that with the glue all over...

17. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    19 pins are here. i think you have right should be the same[​IMG]

peteruk likes this.
  18. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    small problem here... :( can cry a littlebit
    i install the 4.05 pup and after the restart my monitor is switching from 480P to 1080P and no signal with blackscreens mixed and i have no idea ,is the update ready or not
    the ps4 make 2 restarts can i shut down???
    .... arrrr
    ok have it after the blind update i can start safe mode and change solution

only 480P works no idea its the problem tv side or ps4 side
    and 576P in recovery mode
    why have no way to change in 576P?

Last edited by loler55, Jan 6, 2017
  19. loler55
    OP

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    i feel so like sony can make it better like don't switch in highest solution by initialization when you have a new hdd
    its the cable ....
    ok now running at 1080i highest i can get

Last edited by loler55, Jan 6, 2017
  20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    these are usually faulty consoles that were returned to stores, I have a friend who used to buy pallets of faulty systems for fixing up, but the stores now purposefully break the ports to avoid them being sold back to the store I assume, which is what used to happen with some of the old faulty pallets, I know one of the other guys who was buying them was just doing the towel trick to avoid breaking the warranty seal and trading them in knowing they would break again almost immediately, so he and people like him were probably the ones who forced them to start breaking the ports, it used to be a pretty sweet way of getting batches of really cheap consoles for fixing up, now its too much effort to fix them up as you need to fix the ports before you can even power them on for diagnosing