Reminder: The Nintendo DSi shop is shutting down

P7ukCk1nxw0UXlQuj7c_p76a6RGlp-5l.jpg

Nearly a year ago, Nintendo put out a blog post, mentioning that the DSi shop would be closing early in 2017. Though you can no longer add points to an account, you can still download previously purchased items on your DSi, or buy titles if you have remaining funds, that is, until March 31, 2017. Nintendo claims that "most" DSiware will be available to download unhindered on the 3DS's e-Shop, but in the case of the DSi, you will no longer be allowed to re-download DSiware, even if you purchased it. This is a reminder for those that still use a DSi to grab their purchases before it's too late and make peace with the service being ended.

:arrow: Source

Fire_Slasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The DSi shop is interesting as an historical entry, not that the current eshop is the best ever but it's decent enough, whereas the DSi's feels pretty primitive lol.

I remember It was pretty basic and honestly quite dull-looking when I first and last accessed it, I almost bought Shantae there but decided to wait until I bought a 3ds later that year in 2011.

Ah fun times!

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This reminds me launch time of dsi when nintendo gived away 1000 points to everyone who logged into the store. I never had a chance coz of stupid nintendo internet restrictions.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me launch time of dsi when nintendo gived away 1000 points to everyone who logged into the store. I never had a chance coz of stupid nintendo internet restrictions.
"Stupid Nintendo Internet restrictions"? Can you elaborate on this?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Don't know how many of you are aware of this, but free apps are also part of the discontinuation of the dsi shop.

What this means:
- If you have not downloaded the browser, you will not be able to in the future. IF an exploit ever gets released for the browser, you cannot run the exploit.

- If you do not download the free dsi->3ds transfer app, you will not be able to transfer your dsiware games to the 3ds if you ever decide to do so. You never know what dsiware games could become exploit games for the 3ds either. You also don't know if your dsi will always be in good working order. Being able to transfer to 3ds is an insurance policy of sorts.

tl;dr - go to the dsi shop and download all free apps immediately if you haven't done so.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't know how many of you are aware of this, but free apps are also part of the discontinuation of the dsi shop.

What this means:
- If you have not downloaded the browser, you will not be able to in the future. IF an exploit ever gets released for the browser, you cannot run the exploit.

- If you do not download the free dsi->3ds transfer app, you will not be able to transfer your dsiware games to the 3ds if you ever decide to do so. You never know what dsiware games could become exploit games for the 3ds either.

tl;dr - go to the dsi shop and download all free apps immediately if you haven't done so.
I think EVERYONE has downloaded these (I think browser is pre-installed)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I think EVERYONE has downloaded these (I think browser is pre-installed)
On early dsi's, the browser was NOT pre-installed and there have also been updates to it anyway.

And don't assume everybody has downloaded the transfer app, most people don't do so until it's needed.

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, damn. Owned a DSi but was too young to earn money, so never really purchase anything. Parents never let me buy DSi points.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think flashcarts work on the newest version, what cart are you using?
Depends a lot on the flashcard itself; in fact, two very notable ones (Acekard 2i - whose kernel lives on as Wood, at least - and Cyclo iEvolution) are blocked on 1.4.5

But we can always downgrade a DSi via hardmod and [any DSiware that can be copied to SD, or any DSi-mode exploit], while I don't think the DSi Shop initial setup sequence (which enables data management) will be replicated easily...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is that enough to get Zelda 4 Swords?
It was only available for free a handful of times, as in you couldn't pay for it

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Depends a lot on the flashcard itself; in fact, two very notable ones (Acekard 2i - whose kernel lives on as Wood, at least - and Cyclo iEvolution) are blocked on 1.4.5

But we can always downgrade a DSi via hardmod and [any DSiware that can be copied to SD, or any DSi-mode exploit], while I don't think the DSi Shop initial setup sequence (which enables data management) will be replicated easily...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It was only available for free a handful of times, as in you couldn't pay for it
No dip. If you already have it, get something like Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
Edit: noted you weren't @Clector, I hate my life.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Zelda was a limited time release, it doesn"t appear in the search...
Nintend oactually replied to some people asking for the game before the Shop closure: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/4x5hxn/unfortunate_psa_anyone_without_zelda_four_swords/
Uno doesn"t apear when searching it too. I"m doing this in an American console with the USA DSi Shop.
"Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!" is Premium, so it costs 800 DSi Points.
-
By the way there was another title for free for Japan consoles (it"s avaliable in the 3DS too) so people with a Japan DSi should download that tile (I can"t remeber the name now), I"ll check it in my Japan 3DS later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"