Homebrew [RELEASES] asie's homebrew (atari800-3DS, etc.)

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is a lot better, tested in 3DSX and CIA. I haven't seen the framerate dip below 99% yet, but it's really hard to tell that Pac-Man is closing his mouth (that could just be due to the LCD itself). Sound is a lot better, but there's still some quirks here and there (Pac-Man's intro music sounds like chimey bells, for example, which "enable higher frequencies" off seems to fix?).

Is there a way to use the d-pad instead of the circle pad for games? It's working fine in the menus, but I can't get it to work in any games. Obviously, you would need the circle pad for the 5200's analogue controls, but it's literally killing me in these 8-bit games.

Calibration seems to be an issue with 5200 games... I keep moving right in Dreadnought Factor.

Same here, I just tested on Centipede.

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found this emulator yesterday (yeah, I'm a bit late), and I'm loving it. Thank you VERY much for this! Everything I've tried so far has been working great, with just one exception. The 5200 emulation is unplayable for me because the joystick calibration is too far off and is always pointed right/down, so any character continually runs/moves right/down.

I also would like to ask if there are just a couple of things that could be tweaked:
1) D-pad control as a option instead of only the analog stick (this would make the A8 games easier to play, although the analog "should" be good for some of the 5200 games if the calibration is fixed). Still, a digital control option would enhance gameplay so much.
2) Could you add the option to turn off the bottom screen by tapping the (unused) upper portion of the bottom screen?

Again, thank you very much for this port. It definitely fills a huge gap for me in 3DS emulation. And, if you're able to add those couple of features, it would be absolutely perfect in my opinion. :-)

edit: lol, looks like I'm repeating some of what Asaki said.

Last edited by Excalibur007,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Make a video player that takes advantage of the N3DS's decoder chip! :D

And a video player or MP3 player for O3DS couldn't hurt either. For MP3, something with tabbed sorting on the top screen with maybe a graphical equilizer LEDs would be sweet, and have the songs, albums, and control buttons on the bottom. I'm not asking for FLAC, but that would be impressive. MP3 and m4a should be fine though.

Laserschwert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OpenTTD sounds really good, since the 3DS is really missing some good old strategy sims. In that regard let me quote myself from the homebrew suggestions thread:

Since the official "Settlers" DS-game was obviously a huge letdown, is there any chance for a homebrewed 3DS version of the game? I'd be even happierwith a version of the first Settlers game (or "Serf City" as it was called in some territories), possibly via a 3DS-implementation of the FreeSerfproject? Other options might be ports of Return to the Roots (an open-source remake of "The Settlers 2") or Widelands (a game inspired by "Settlers 2", but without using assets from the original).

Resolution-wise the first game would still be a perfect fit for the 3DS' touch screen...

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have implemented some minor/partial fixes on the GitHub, but a satisfactory release, nor many future homebrew releases from me, will not come unless/if I get my hands on a 3DS again. Apologies for any diifficulties.

Not sure I understand completely, but are you saying that you've added digital controls to the D-pad on the github? If so, can we get a compiled cia?

Where do you put the ROMs?
Wherever you want. You can point it to start up in your directory in the settings.

Last edited by Excalibur007,

Skelux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I am having trouble getting this to work. Both the homebrew launcher and cia version instantly exit back to the homebrew launcher/home menu respectively, no error messages. I am using a new 3ds xl on 9.2.0E.

Skelux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I generally test my software on versions of the Nintendo 3DS software closer to latest, such as 11.0. I do not really have a 9.2 testing environment at hand, sorry.

(Also, why would you still remain at 9.2.0E?)
I think the reason was because my Gateway card or ds flash cards wouldn't work on a later firmware, If that's not it then I've forgotten.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to tweak this a bit. Every time I try to run a 5200 game, it quickly switches over to "custom XL/XE mode," which prevents the game from running and is intensely aggravating besides. I've tried setting the system manually to 5200, but it keeps doing the same thing. Help!

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got 5200.ROM in there. I didn't know it let you choose a path... I thought it just chose a default.

Also, I think the extension the games have is A52. Should it be BIN instead?

EDIT: Okay, I see my problem. You've got to specify that it's a 5200 cartridge or else it won't work. But there's another issue... no second fire button. This makes games like Dreadnaught Factor impossible to play properly.

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2