The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
That is incorrect.
The restraining order was a direct result of him posting the keys.
No, YOU are incorrect, the reason that the restraining order happened is because Egohotz posted the CFW on his website and asked one of the "big three" for a job, it had sweet f all to do with the keys, no point arguing with me about it either, i am the PS3 scene...

Anywho, this thread is not about Hotz, it's about the Wii U ancast keys discovery.
Another incorrect statement, the thread "was" about the Wii U ancast keys, but you have removed them and changed the thread into a discussion about the censorship of information and how a site that once promoted the use of pirated material is now to afraid to post even a link to the source of information, anyhow as you have stupified this thread and made it pointless, perhaps you would be a good boy and close it :)

EDIT
I forgot to mention, a site that promotes the use of hardware that exploits the 3DS so that people can use pirated games...

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, YOU are incorrect, the reason that the restraining order happened is because Egohotz posted the CFW on his website and asked one of the "big three" for a job, it had sweet f all to do with the keys, no point arguing with me about it either, i am the PS3 scene... [o rly?]

Another incorrect statement, the thread "was" about the Wii U ancast keys, but you have removed them and changed the thread into a discussion about the censorship of information and how a site that once promoted the use of pirated material is now to afraid to post even a link to the source of information, anyhow as you have stupified this thread and made it pointless, perhaps you would be a good boy and close it :)

EDIT
I forgot to mention, a site that promotes the use of hardware that exploits the 3DS so that people can use pirated games...

Ha ha! Lets jab at the 'temp cause its easy. I agree this thread derailed quickly and it probably should be front paged with a new thread.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Correct me if I am wrong, but what this means now is that one can decrypt and analyze the contents of ancast images, but still not run any altered contents?

Say if I wanted to take the vWii System Menu main.dol out of its ancast image, and try to modify it (like similar patches you see with priiloader), or replace it with a different dol (like a vWii priiloader or other Wii loader app), then reencrypt it and put it back into the ancast image and write it to NAND, without regenerating a proper signature (which AFAIK only Nintendo can do), then the WiiU Espresso's Boot ROM would see that is has been altered and therefore refuse to load it, thus breaking the vWii System Menu and bricking vWii altogether?

I assume that the Espresso Boot ROM does NOT have any epicly horrendous (or horrendously epic?) signature checking bug like the Wii did, correct?
Remember that the System Menu are double-encrypted with the vWii common key too. The Ancast images are signed binaries and the Espresso only boot signed code, so nothing manageable.

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People go apeshit about the smallest things as usual.

The vWii ancast key is useless all the things it can decrypt you already could decrypt by loading them into memory and letting the PPC decrypt them for you and then just dump the memory.

The Wii U ancast key is useless until you also have the Wii U common key BUT even then all you could do is decrypt stuff it doesn't magically give you any exploits, though it will certainly make it easier to find them since you can look at the code that is running.

While this is certainly a great achievement from a hacking point of view this doesn't mean much for the common user.

So no piracy or homebrew will happen due this anytime soon.

Also from what've seen so far a Homebrew only hack might actually happen this time.

HellM3at

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People go apeshit about the smallest things as usual.

The vWii ancast key is useless all the things it can decrypt you already could decrypt by loading them into memory and letting the PPC decrypt them for you and then just dump the memory.

The Wii U ancast key is useless until you also have the Wii U common key BUT even then all you could do is decrypt stuff it doesn't magically give you any exploits, though it will certainly make it easier to find them since you can look at the code that is running.

While this is certainly a great achievement from a hacking point of view this doesn't mean much for the common user.

So no piracy or homebrew will happen due this anytime soon.

Also from what've seen so far a Homebrew only hack might actually happen this time.

This may be true, but please keep in mind that it's nice for the Average Joe to see SOME movement in the scene, regardless of what it may or may not lead to! Part of the fun is the discovery and news of discovery on picking apart a new (or not so new) system, and while people like me don't post much, we lurk and enjoy seeing things happen...

And thank you, and all the devs and hackers and other guys that make the scene a scene! I for one appreciate all the time you spend not only discovering how these consoles work, making the systems better by allowing average users like us the ability to mod them and push them and personalize them to be what we want!

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm always a little torn when I hear this, because on the one hand it's of course great if a console gets hacked and can remain piracy free, but on the other it probably won't remain piracy free because it leaves the potential for some ODE/other hardware mod manufacturer to make a far from insignificant income from piracy. But I don't want this to become yet another example of a conversation had a million times before so I'll shush on piracy.

Thanks to the devs who've posted in this thread for clarification. Regardless of how important it might or might not be, progress is nice to see either way :P

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know we can't modify the SM on vWii, but with a decrypted DOL would the vWii SM run on a normal Wii (in SNEEK)?

Also, does anyone have a tool to decrypt the DOL in the vWii SM using a PC? I have a vWii wad that unpacks fine (extracted it from a vWii), but the DOL needs decrypting to try this.

Bobbybangin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, listen you so called "Russian"...

You're wrong on so many levels. Greg had nothing to do with the bootrom hype. He had nothing to do with the keys being released. Do you think they were leaked by accident? Lol...interest waned for a Wii U exploit? You should probably look at the number of hits any Wii U hack thread gets, before you make such a bold assumption. Shady things happen behind the scene that you obviously aren't aware of. Greg did a lot for the PS3 scene, and that included pushing for free information to be released so people wouldn't be unnecessarily charged for exploits that should be free, such as the TB dongle. If people like Greg and I hadn't pushed so hard for that, people would still be paying for that crap today. He's continuing fighting for the Wii U scene. We are collectors and could hardly care less about free games, much like a lot of people. We are more interested in a free and open homebrew and will continue to release information to see that it remains that way. If he has a fault, it's that probably cares too much about the scene. Every time we post here we get flamed, trolled, and disrespected. It doesn't matter if it's the most mundane post or a more important one. I'm more calm and collected, but you can't expect everyone to act that way. All this is really unnecessary drama for people who should be working together for a common goal. In the end, I do what I want. If I think it's right, I'll post something, regardless of any opinions. I apologize for assuming I could share with this community and thinking it would be appreciated. I have a couple bigger releases coming later. You guys can come to Hax to see them or wait till somebody "more appreciated" posts it here.

Reactions: gamefan5

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're wrong on so many levels. Greg had nothing to do with the bootrom hype. He had nothing to do with the keys being released. Do you think they were leaked by accident? Lol...interest waned for a Wii U exploit? You should probably look at the number of hits any Wii U hack thread gets, before you make such a bold assumption. Shady things happen behind the scene that you obviously aren't aware of. Greg did a lot for the PS3 scene, and that included pushing for free information to be released so people wouldn't be unnecessarily charged for exploits that should be free, such as the TB dongle. If people like Greg and I hadn't pushed so hard for that, people would still be paying for that crap today. He's continuing fighting for the Wii U scene. We are collectors and could hardly care less about free games, much like a lot of people. We are more interested in a free and open homebrew and will continue to release information to see that it remains that way. If he has a fault, it's that probably cares too much about the scene. Every time we post here we get flamed, trolled, and disrespected. It doesn't matter if it's the most mundane post or a more important one. I'm more calm and collected, but you can't expect everyone to act that way. All this is really unnecessary drama for people who should be working together for a common goal. In the end, I do what I want. If I think it's right, I'll post something, regardless of any opinions. I apologize for assuming I could share with this community and it would be appreciated.

With all do respect, Gregory flat out attacked another member here, without provocation and without reason. That was uncalled for, hence the drama was exacerbated. Sorry, but his calling out another member was immature. He blatantly flamed another member thinking he was in the right, when he was not, so his post was removed. Maybe if he wasn't so argumentative and hellbent on thinking he was right 100% of the time and everyone else is wrong, there wouldn't be so much drama. You can share in this community, but when you have people like Gregory flaming and getting all pissy at people for no reason, that's where the line is drawn. We're not trying to drive you guys out, you didn't do anything wrong, but he did and well, shit happens.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
i am the PS3 scene...

orly-42517.jpg

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And now you know why GBAtemp is constantly ridiculed by many top notch hackers alike. One main reason: It's because lots of members think they should only hack in order to contribute to the others that can't.

You know, having other hackers from the PS3 like Gregory spouting out childish BS defamatory epithets doesn't really help the problem either. Just saying. Anyone who stoops to that level doesn't deserve others' attention or respect.

That wasn't my point at all. My post Is unrelated to what Gregory has said.
Be that as it may, it only made it worse. I don't have a problem with what Bobbybangin is posting on here at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm