Hacking [Released] Method For Dumping BootROM/boot0.bin/OTP Key for Wii U

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm going to need a hacked vWii to do anything? D'aw, better go invest in a copy of SSBB...

Nope, not at all. A Wii U side hack is completely irrelevant to the vWii side of things, this is only for reverse engineering purposes, so for 99% of people this doesn't matter except as a technical update on when homebrew is gonna happen. So, unless you really wanna hack your vWii for stuff like Riivolution (assuming you don't already have a Wii which is far easier), you don't need to invest in anything right now.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
No, what I meant was when these files are hacked further you will need vWii to access some sort of boot.elf, cause its going to happen only a matter of time now! Oh I see what you mean, the file only booted once, how does that work then?
I don't think any homebrew is going to be launched from vWii (this was just for keys, bootrom extraction). Maybe homebrew will be launched from the SD slot, but it will be from WiiU mode.

This is not like the 3ds, where there was a trick to breaking out of the DS mode sandbox with the DS profile exploit. Fof tried in vain to do something similar with the vWii, but were unsuccessful. Instead, they had to find the way into WiiU mode using the browser (both to get the common keys and to run code in general). That is where we are at now, nearly a year and a half later.

(now we could get the heavily restricted tri-core espresso mode in vWii, but it seems devs are aiming higher than that)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think any homebrew is going to be launched from vWii (this was just for keys, bootrom extraction). Maybe homebrew will be launched from the SD slot, but it will be from WiiU mode.

This is not like the 3ds, where there was a trick to breaking out of the DS mode sandbox with the DS profile exploit. Fof tried in vain to do something similar with the vWii, but were unsuccessful. Instead, they had to find the way into WiiU mode using the browser (both to get the common keys and to run code in general). That is where we are at now, nearly a year and a half later.

(now we could get the heavily restricted tri-core espresso mode in vWii, but it seems devs are aiming higher than that)

OK thanks. I will stick with the Wii if you say they are aiming high for the WiiU mode then no point in the Twighlight Hack cause funny enough I made sure I kept a copy just in case.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
So, unless you really wanna hack your vWii for stuff like Riivolution (assuming you don't already have a Wii which is far easier), you don't need to invest in anything right now.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it... Thanks for the info!

Is everyone 100% positive that it's okay to update to 5.0? I want to be on the latest firmware when they start patching this stuff, so I won't be stuck on old unsupported firmware. I have update blocking set up on my router so I'll be safe once I'm at the latest.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wickedly cool. Gonna have to watch f0f's cast again to see where this fell into their timeline.
Mad props to whoever worked on this. I pray that this doesn't discourage their progress. Homebrew and an open WiiU would be incredible.

Reactions: Huntereb

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To me it looks like the WiiU hack effort basically needs to replicate team f0f's efforts, and their talk gives plenty pointers how to go about it. So far the SRESET hack was replicated (day 8, bootrom dumped) and f0f needed to do the HRESET to get the Espresso keys (day 11). Then there was the trick in vWii to renable boot0 (Day 14).

That is where we are now. The rest of the presentation is a roadmap to eventual success.

EDIT:
This needs to be comfirmed by someone who really knows, but it looks like this is a more advanced version of the SRESET hack than f0f's. F0f needed to implement the HRESET to get to the OTP, which in this version is still done with SRESET.

Reactions: the-green

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ive been reading around and im slightly confused lol
this is a Sreset hack. but i thought the triicore linux was purely to run 3cores in vwii mode? but then others are implying this will be a wii u hack?? p.s great work from the devolopers maxternal and co. i hope this leak hasnt discouraged anybody from there work

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been reading around and im slightly confused lol
this is a Sreset hack. but i thought the triicore linux was purely to run 3cores in vwii mode? but then others are implying this will be a wii u hack?? p.s great work from the devolopers maxternal and co. i hope this leak hasnt discouraged anybody from there work
This isn't specifically about 3 core support, all the person did was make a patch of some code in that repo to do an SRESET hack to allow them to dump all these things, because stuff like the OTP is disabled after boot, hence why we have to do this in the first place. We're using this to try to get Wii U homebrew, however this specifically is just for helping us better understand how the system works.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you think its probably a good idea to purchase a 64GB or 128GB SD Card about now, cause I presume your going to need a big one to take 20 - 25GB of BR img. I would of thought its going to be done by SD Card?

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Please stop asking retarded questions Reecey. Noone knows anything about the hack yet (as people told you before several times) so noone can tell you what to do obviously.

Reactions: Vappy

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think its probably a good idea to purchase a 64GB or 128GB SD Card about now, cause I presume your going to need a big one to take 20 - 25GB of BR img. I would of thought its going to be done by SD Card?
Get a cheap usb2 external. Will be 10 times faster than the Wii u Bd drive. I highly doubt a SD will make a difference.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Get a cheap usb2 external. Will be 10 times faster than the Wii u Bd drive. I highly doubt a SD will make a difference.

USB2 External?. You will have to show me pictures, amazon.co.uk would be good and cheap but how would that fix to your WiiU along side the app.? Sorry I'm not 100% know everything so you will have to explain a bit to me :)

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
You dont even know how the games will be run, yet you recommend stuff to people.
Bravo

I would of thought it would be SD Card only because its the easiest way to access within the WiiU. I wanted to get one large enough before the scene kicks off and I'm stuck waiting for media to come through the post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a