Homebrew [Release] Zelda ROTH for 3ds

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I stumbled time and time again over ROTH while surfing the net but never actually playing it, since it somehow did not look inviting to me. But I guess there is more to this fan creation than meets the eye, so once this is fully ported to the 3DS, I will be sure to give it a try. If it's anything like the Zelda Solarus Fan Games it's great. Good luck with the project and from what I read great work so far :)

MeixDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a Solarus Edition of ROTH. Though I don't really like it. The ROTH series may not look appealing at first, but they're really good, even if Solarus games are more like ALTTP.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not ready for a new release but here is an update on the work progress:
- Game framerate fixed
- Multilanguage implemented (EN, FR, IT, DE. ES). The language is selected according to the system language. Not supported languages switch by default to English
- Italian translation strated (Only meu translated at the moment)
- English translation updated (thanks to @Ammako for the fixed text)
- all key mapped using keys combinations (mostly L+ ..)
- Strerch to fullscreeen feature added

Now I'm testing and fixing keys (using comb keys results in some interferences in the commands).

The midi sequencer seems to work fine, but no sound output yet (not enough linear memory??? I'm testing it)

Fixed these things I'll have to modify the settings screen to select languages and to turn on/off the sounds (changing volumes by sw don't works on 3ds).

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think that a good port on 3ds has to use the bottom screen (leaving it black isn't a nice) and I would like to use it to show the gamesave select menu, the object inventory, the game map and the defeated monstes list.

As screen background when not showing anything I could use the background tiles of the gameseve select screen. Another option could be to always show during the game the map (if available).

I think it could be a good improvement, but don't want to change too much the game experience. What about it?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
this is some great homebrew @nop90

thumbs up

post-54731-chow-yun-fat-thumbs-up-gif-Img-uDN9.gif

Khangaroo

$ORIGINALTITLE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that a good port on 3ds has to use the bottom screen (leaving it black isn't a nice) and I would like to use it to show the gamesave select menu, the object inventory, the game map and the defeated monstes list.

As screen background when not showing anything I could use the background tiles of the gameseve select screen. Another option could be to always show during the game the map (if available).

I think it could be a good improvement, but don't want to change too much the game experience. What about it?
I would put stuff on the bottom screen. Look at Ocarina Of Time 3D. Nintendo moved a lot to the bottom screen, and the game is still great.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have an idea for the next release. How about a cia version? Many people doesn't want to use the Homebrew Launcher and it would be cool to start the game from the home menu.
But yea, great work! :)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have an idea for the next release. How about a cia version? Many people doesn't want to use the Homebrew Launcher and it would be cool to start the game from the home menu.
But yea, great work! :)

As already said next release wil have a cia version.

Reactions: Naendow
D

Deleted-236924

I feel that an item selection menu is a better thing to have on the touch screen than the map, which in my opinion isn't that useful. Best to have easy item switching always available, and have the map be pulled up by a button press.

That being said, there can always be a button on the touch screen to view the map which would toggle between the map and the items screen. I have no idea if the map was ever programmed to account for the player being able to move while the map is showing, though.

Last edited by ,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can't show the item selection menu while playing without a big code rework because it has the same input key of the game.

Game must be in pause to use itens menu.

The map will automatically update at every frame with the right position. So it's an easier solution.

Reactions: cearp

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could help with Japanese translations!

Shoot me a PM if you want to!

The game doesn't use fonts but character bitmap. There is to much work to do for making a Hiragana/Katagana bitmap table and create code to convert unicode values in bitmap coordinates.

An easy solution could be to use romaji, but I don't like it. Kanji is out of question.

Can you upload the source as well? That's what github repositories are used for lol.

Code will be on my github when I'm ready. If rou want there is the code of the original PC version available (link in the OP).

Reactions: Joel16
D

Deleted-236924

So few people would even play a Japanese version, it wouldn't be worth going through the trouble of implementing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM