Homebrew [RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gotcha, so PWADs are not supported? :huh:
After that warning screen it get stuck

Man... Why in the hell should I include PWAD loading possibilities if there would be no support at all?

PWAD's are supported but maybe not all TC's are supported. Brutal DOOM for example isn't supported. DOOM 64 maybe also won't work. I don't know so you have to test this for yourself. Afaik the original DOOM 64 had sector effects which Chocolate DOOM's source doesn't include. I also won't include such changes just to be able to load one PWAD...

Reactions: OriginalHamster

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Batman Doom loads but freezes and exits to HBC. Using Batman.wad, batman.deh and Doom2.wad
Alien Vendetta works. Using av.wad, av.deh and Doom2.wad
Doom64.wad and Doom2.wad boot but freeze. I may miss a .deh file for this?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batman Doom loads but freezes and exits to HBC. Using Batman.wad, batman.deh and Doom2.wad
Alien Vendetta works. Using av.wad, av.deh and Doom2.wad
Doom64.wad and Doom2.wad boot but freeze. I may miss a .deh file for this?

DOOM 64 will never work, it is meant for the DOOMsDay engine. Batman DOOM should in theory work on the other hand, as should any other Vanilla DOOM, Deh based pWAD like Alien Vendetta. On that note, as long as standard DOOM, DOOM II, Strife, etc. crash without pWADs, then I expect there to be issues using pWADs.
As for me, I'm holding out on playing with pWADs until the core games them selves run stable.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the latest release I still have to remove the SD card in order to be presented with the option to choose between SD or USB in the first place.

Secondly if I load a save game in Strife, it crashes the WiiU.

Still looking for DOOM or DOOM II wads in my collection that work or work as iwads. Strange!

Other than that, solid and right on, I love how 32bit color looks with this old engine on a TV screen!

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Some PWAD tips from yesterdays testing for anyone interested:

ICARUS.WAD works when loaded with Doom2.wad
Darken2.wad works when loaded with Doom2.wad
CHEX.WAD works when loaded with Doom.wad AND chex.deh
AV.WAD works when loaded with Doom2.wad AND av.deh
freedoom2.wad works when loaded with Doom2.wad
CHEX2.WAD works when loaded with Doom2.wad

Still looking for DOOM or DOOM II wads in my collection that work or work as iwads. Strange!

Look for doom wads in a ''zone of iso'' ;)

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the same error right here. Will check what's wrong there...

Looks like it's not always happening... The error might happen randomly.

I'll try again this afternoon, I only tried three times, once after a full system restart, and got the black screen (with white text) of death each time.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome job!

I also am experiencing screen tearing on several occasions.
Is it possible to use the folders names IWAD and PWAD to store my .wad files.?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Awesome job!

I also am experiencing screen tearing on several occasions.
Is it possible to use the folders names IWAD and PWAD to store my .wad files.?

Just put your WAD files anywhere you like and choose them from the WAD selector when launching a game.

It only is IMPORTANT to put the VOICES.WAD file in the VOICES folder for Strife, if you want to hear voices in the game. No need to select the VOICES.WAD in the WAD selector, as long as the MD5 checksum matches. It will be loaded automatically upon game startup.

Btw: I can't do anything about that screen tearing "problem" some people are mentioning here. The ports I made here are SDL based. Using native Wii graphics would take lots of effort to make it work. Even though, the graphics support used on Arikado's Hexen Wii port was originally written by Hermes. It may even slow down the whole port as seen on Arikado's Hexen Wii.

And one more thing to those who didn't realize yet: my ports include the Hi-Res patches by Fabian Greffrath's Crispy DOOM port. So all four ports do pixel doubling. It means, that Chocolate DOOM usually does only support a native resolution of 320x200 pixels as the real DOS DOOM did. The patches applied, do set the resolution to a max. of 640x400 pixels - the maximum that the Wii supports. If you want to see what the difference makes, then launch the DOOM port and in the screen settings, change the details to "low". The result shown then is what Chocolate DOOM would normally look like without those patches.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just put your WAD files anywhere you like and choose them from the WAD selector when launching a game.

It only is IMPORTANT to put the VOICES.WAD file in the VOICES folder for Strife, if you want to hear voices in the game. No need to select the VOICES.WAD in the WAD selector, as long as the MD5 checksum matches. It will be loaded automatically upon game startup.

Btw: I can't do anything about that screen tearing "problem" some people are mentioning here. The ports I made here are SDL based. Using native Wii graphics would take lots of effort to make it work. Even though, the graphics support used on Arikado's Hexen Wii port was originally written by Hermes. It may even slow down the whole port as seen on Arikado's Hexen Wii.

And one more thing to those who didn't realize yet: my ports include the Hi-Res patches by Fabian Greffrath's Crispy DOOM port. So all four ports do pixel doubling. It means, that Chocolate DOOM usually does only support a native resolution of 320x200 pixels as the real DOS DOOM did. The patches applied, do set the resolution to a max. of 640x400 pixels - the maximum that the Wii supports. If you want to see what the difference makes, then launch the DOOM port and in the screen settings, change the details to "low". The result shown then is what Chocolate DOOM would normally look like without those patches.
I noticed. Your version of doom looks better than the PRBOOM port in retroarch. ( though in prBoom you canlinear filter graphics )
Also PR Boom on RA runs far to fast. This is perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs