Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange. I tried using the grey gateway card instead and it doesn't show anything. it's like it doesn't read that cartridge at all (apparently all the files are on the SD card like they're supposed to). At least with my Supercard I can see the Title and icon and click it. Does the grey card not have a spring in the microSD slot? because it's not springing like the white card does.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reading up and apparently FlashCardTimeWarp spoofs a really high version number. I know it's probably not a big deal, but I sort of odn't want that. Although, with devMenu I can still downgrade the whitelist if, for some reason, I needed to, right?

Crumb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a DSTWO that doesn't even appear as a Icon and I've tried any whitelist out there to find :/ Swear it worked <4.5

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone gave me a R4 flashcart. When I boot it in the DS Lite, it boots up instantly. If you take the cart out, boot the DS Lite, put the cart back in, no 'game' is showing up.
How does a flashcart type like that work on the 3DS? I'm on 4.5 btw. So before I'm doing this, I have to be sure how those types of DS flashcarts works.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Someone gave me a R4 flashcart. When I boot it in the DS Lite, it boots up instantly. If you take the cart out, boot the DS Lite, put the cart back in, no 'game' is showing up.
How does a flashcart type like that work on the 3DS? I'm on 4.5 btw. So before I'm doing this, I have to be sure how those types of DS flashcarts works.
it doesnt, those types of cart that autoboot exploited a flaw that was only on the original DS's they won't even work on the dsi......those auto booting cards are very old and unlikely to ever be usable in any way on a 3DS

PS, the ds/ds lite didnt have hotswapping card detection anyway you needed to have the game inserted before turning on the console :P

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite might be set to auto-boot if a card's inserted, try holding down Start when turning on the DS Lite to have it go to the menu. I'd look up exactly where in the settings the option is, but for some reason going into the system options on my original DS causes it to lock up...

DS flash cards usually work by replying to the "handshake" with the header of a specific game, so they appear as a game such as "Deep Labyrinth" or something, based on firmware version and manufacturer. I don't know the exact method the 3DS uses to detect and block a flash card, though. The maker of the card should have something that tells you what system versions of the 3DS will allow the card to run. If it runs on any version, you can install BlueCardFix.cia or FlashCardTimeWarp.cia to enable the card to work again on your system.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite might be set to auto-boot if a card's inserted, try holding down Start when turning on the DS Lite to have it go to the menu. I'd look up exactly where in the settings the option is, but for some reason going into the system options on my original DS causes it to lock up...

DS flash cards usually work by replying to the "handshake" with the header of a specific game, so they appear as a game such as "Deep Labyrinth" or something, based on firmware version and manufacturer. I don't know the exact method the 3DS uses to detect and block a flash card, though. The maker of the card should have something that tells you what system versions of the 3DS will allow the card to run. If it runs on any version, you can install BlueCardFix.cia or FlashCardTimeWarp.cia to enable the card to work again on your system.

The DS Lite doesn't autoboot games. I just tried with a New Super Mario Bros. cart. So the flashcart really exploits something. gamesquest1 was right.
I can try the DS profile on the 3DS, but I don't want to screw up my MSET lol.

Reason why I'd like to play on my 3DS:
Analog Stick.
Broken D-Pad on DS Lite, have to push really hard...

EDIT: When the R4 flashcart boots up, it says acekard RPG.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite does have an option to auto boot in the settings believe it or not. Old flash carts like R4 however overwride this setting and will auto boot regardless. Likely because they exploit a feature of kiosk demos which probably have the same feature. (as it would prevent customers at demo kiosks from messing with firmware settings)

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that DSiWare breaks MSET, I think DS too, MSET is DS Profile Exploit yes.
Running DS mode software usually breaks the data in the NVRAM profile. But the MSET program (System Settings app) itself is not altered, so all that's needed is to reinstall the NVRAM profile (either through the Gateway Launcher, GW_INSTALLER.nds, or any other ROP installer that works). So as long as you can use the Blue Card, just be in the habit of re-running GW_INSTALLER.nds whenever you're done playing DS games. If you can't use the Blue Card, install bluecardfix.cia to unblock it. Some people have been able to get their profile to "stick", but I don't think it's been narrowed down exactly what makes it work for some and not for others.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused. Do I need a Gateway card for this? I'm on 9.2 and have an r4i Gold 3DS card.

I also can't figure out what to download, since I don't know what to search for. Is the thread title actually the name of the release? The video is so blurry that I have no clue what he's launching.

You should really link to this in the OP. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...probably-n3ds-too.376719/page-40#post-5470655

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

resdes

Trophies
XP
Country
I just registered to tell you THANK YOU to everyone involved in the 3ds research, thanks to everything you talked in this thread I managed to run DS games again in my 3DS (EUR, 4.5) with a fake R4 (r4i-gold.eu). If anyone is still doubtful, I installed the flashcard whitelist and downgraded the TWL_FIRM in my sysNAND (having done a backup) and everything is running perfectly.

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go :
1- Use 3DSNUS to download title 0004800F484E4841 in version 0 and title 0004013800000102 in version 1489. No spoof = DevMenu and GW. If not, then spoof version 0 one to a really high number (60250 for example).
2- So I recommend using GW with DevMenu.3ds to install both generated cia directly to SysNAND. (Done then, go to 5)
3- If you don't have DevMenu, BEFORE installing CIAs, first use FBI (available on this forum too) to uninstall title 0004013800000102 (TWL_FIRM), not sure BigBlueMenu will be able to uninstall it.
4- Now install both CIAs with FBI or BigBlueMenu.
5- Reboot and enjoy :)

-- EDIT --
Forgot to add that, as gamesquest1 said, downgrading TWL_FIRM (0004013800000102) on NEW 3DS with version from OLD 3DS may cause somme issues so until someone with NAND mod willing to try this out, don't do it, even if it's only affect DS games btw. Whitelist (0004800F484E4841) can be replaced safely on any devices.

I keep getting errors from 3DNUS when attempting to download. For example:
"Downloading 0004013800000102 vversion 1489
Error downloading title 0004013800000102 vversion 1489 make sure the entered title ID and versions are correct."

Same thing goes for title 0004800F484E4841 in version 0 when trying to download. What's causing these errors? I've tried both 3DNUS v 1.8 & 1.9 as well. I'm trying to get my AceKard 2i back working again after updating FW. Thanks! BTW, do I need a Gateway flashcart to do this? I just now noticed step #2 says recommend GW.

Last edited by tonybologna,

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't type version in version, just this :

1434240685-3dnus2.png

Thanks! BTW, do I need a Gateway flashcart to do this? I just now noticed step #2 says recommend GW.

No it works in pasta too, but like I said you will need a compatible ds flashcart first.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I keep getting errors from 3DNUS when attempting to download. For example:
"Downloading 0004013800000102 vversion 1489
Error downloading title 0004013800000102 vversion 1489 make sure the entered title ID and versions are correct."

Same thing goes for title 0004800F484E4841 in version 0 when trying to download. What's causing these errors? I've tried both 3DNUS v 1.8 & 1.9 as well. I'm trying to get my AceKard 2i back working again after updating FW. Thanks! BTW, do I need a Gateway flashcart to do this? I just now noticed step #2 says recommend GW.
also check its not being blocked by your firewall....or if you have a setup to block the nintendo update servers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.