Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
well you can uninstall system titles now with FBI so you should be able to just uninstall the patched one and restore it to stock if you every want to
All right, that's good. What file would I be looking for, and should I get the stock from Nintendo's CDN or my own system?
I don't want to accidentally brick my 2DS by installing 3DS-specific system files.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
All right, that's good. What file would I be looking for, and should I get the stock from Nintendo's CDN or my own system?
I don't want to accidentally brick my 2DS by installing 3DS-specific system files.

2DS doesn't have files specific to it like the n3DS does. You'll be fine. Just don't install any firmware older then 6.0 on it. DS Cart White List and TWL_FIRM from 1.0/2.0 (DS Cart White list from 1.0 can be downloaded from CDN, however 2.0 is the oldest TWL_FIRM you can download from CDN) should work fine on the 2DS.

You can test things on emunand to make sure it boots.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
2DS doesn't have files specific to it like the n3DS does. You'll be fine. Just don't install any firmware older then 6.0 on it.
That seems like an oxymoron. If it uses the same system files, why can't it downgrade below 6.0 like a 3DS can?

DS Cart White List and TWL_FIRM from 1.0/2.0 (DS Cart White list from 1.0 can be downloaded from CDN, however 2.0 is the oldest TWL_FIRM you can download from CDN) should work fine on the 2DS.
Sounds great!
The use of the DS Cart White List is obvious, but what does downgrading the TWL_FIRM do?
[and why is it called a cart whitelist when I'd assume it's a blacklist?]

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
That seems like an oxymoron. If it uses the same system files, why can't it downgrade below 6.0 like a 3DS can?

Sounds great!
The use of the DS Cart White List is obvious, but what does downgrading the TWL_FIRM do?

I think the 2DS related stuff is built in to the same firmware as 3DS. There's just code that detects that it's a 2DS and loads specific code for it. You can't downgrade a 2DS below 6.0 because 5.x and older FW don't have the code for it and the lack of a physical wifi switch would mean that older FW might not be compatible with the wifi module present in the 2DS. Though it would still be interesting to see how the 2DS behaves on older FW. But unless someone reverse engineers the downgrade packs for Gateway, I don't think we'll ever find out. FBI can uninstall things, but I don't know if you can uninstall everything without the system freezing up which is what you would need to do to do a full downgrade.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I think the 2DS related stuff is built in to the same firmware as 3DS. There's just code that detects that it's a 2DS and loads specific code for it. You can't downgrade a 2DS below 6.0 because 5.x and older FW don't have the code for it and the lack of a physical wifi switch would mean that older FW might not be compatible with the wifi module present in the 2DS. Though it would still be interesting to see how the 2DS behaves on older FW. But unless someone reverse engineers the downgrade packs for Gateway, I don't think we'll ever find out. FBI can uninstall things, but I don't know if you can uninstall everything without the system freezing up which is what you would need to do to do a full downgrade.
So, I'm ready to do this.
How do I actually get the files from the CDN?
Are there any downsides to installing this?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TWL_FIRM is the CIA that handles the DS mode (virtualization and stuff). In addition to that, with 4.X there was an update that detected the savechip on ROMs which was included into TWL_FIRM, not DS Card White List. The CycloDS iEvo's DSi mode was patched in TWL_FIRM as well.
DS Card White List is a white list that contains some specific values for all DS games that were released before the DSi came out (the DSi introduced something to the games what made them unusable as a header for flashcards). Flashcards have some differences to original games so that Nintendo patched the whitelist to detect the differences, the flashcard maker changed some other stuff and didn't get detected any more etc.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

Sounds great!
yeah its kinda weird it acts more as a blacklist, but its not actually blocking the flashcard specifically, just used to verify the retail card, so lets just say for example
mario kart DS starts with 110011
flashcard pretending to be MK DS starts with 110101

a whitelist just says MK DS = 110011, whereas a blacklist would just say "do not run it if its 110101", leaving it open to just be changed to 101001 etc etc.....so a whitelist that effectively acts like a blacklist, but is more efficient
(PS that's just my dumbed down interpretation of how its working, its more complicated than that, but that's the general gist)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I forogt to explain a part.
The white list is only a whitelist and no blacklist because it only contains the games released before the DSi. It stores them so that the DSi/3DS knows exactly which games use the old header (every game that uses the old header and is not known doesn't get booted).

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I forogt to explain a part.
The white list is only a whitelist and no blacklist because it only contains the games released before the DSi. It stores them so that the DSi/3DS knows exactly which games use the old header (every game that uses the old header and is not known doesn't get booted).

You're telling me the whitelist would be enough to get a pre-DSi flashcart working, but for everything made for DSi we have to mess with twl_firm?
... You'd think there'd be some way to make DSi carts function as DS carts.
Anyway, forgive the bellyaching, I have an old DSOne SDHC but it doesn't work anymore. It looks like one or more of the bits on it got soldered together somehow...
My two working carts are post-DSi, a One i mini and a TWO.
Guess I need to screw around with their firmwares to get'em working.

Happen to know if downgrading TWL_FIRM to the first version on CDN (489 or 498 or something like that) will stop mset from being possible? I just installed it and rebooted.. no mset. I have to reapply it but go.gateway-3ds.com nor apache thunder's mirror of the roploader seems to be working. I think I got it working before through the gateway installer.nds file before but now I won't have a way of running that until i figure out which firmware version of my supercards work with the new (old) twl_firm verison...

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You're telling me the whitelist would be enough to get a pre-DSi flashcart working, but for everything made for DSi we have to mess with twl_firm?
... You'd think there'd be some way to make DSi carts function as DS carts.
Nope. The pre-DSi flashcards aren't on the whitelist, only official DS games are. The only way to get some of them to work is to use an action replay DSi/3DS.

Happen to know if downgrading TWL_FIRM to the first version on CDN (489 or 498 or something like that) will stop mset from being possible? I just installed it and rebooted.. no mset. I have to reapply it but go.gateway-3ds.com nor apache thunder's mirror of the roploader seems to be working. I think I got it working before through the gateway installer.nds file before but now I won't have a way of running that until i figure out which firmware version of my supercards work with the new (old) twl_firm verison...
MSet is not in TWL_FIRM.

Reactions: BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The pre-DSi flashcards aren't on the whitelist, only official DS games are. The only way to get some of them to work is to use an action replay DSi/3DS.

MSet is not in TWL_FIRM.

I'm pretty sure I only installed the whitelist and twl_firm... any idea what would break it?
I just keep getting the grey screen that boots me back to the home menu.
Is there like a list or something of what can force you to re-enable the exploit?

Sorry I'd take this to PM but I'm unsure if this is related to this thread or not until I figure out what went wrong.
I didn't even use the whitelist with the signature broken, just used the first official version on CDN.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm pretty sure I only installed the whitelist and twl_firm... any idea what would break it?
I just keep getting the grey screen that boots me back to the home menu.
Is there like a list or something of what can force you to re-enable the exploit?

Sorry I'd take this to PM but I'm unsure if this is related to this thread or not until I figure out what went wrong.
I didn't even use the whitelist with the signature broken, just used the first official version on CDN.
I think that it can be helpful for this thread.
hmm try to uninstall both and install it again. Which CIA manager did you use? (don't use big red menu)

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a gateway so I can't try installing again without re-enabling the mset exploit.
I used FBI. (1.34)
I just read part of the 3ds hacking FAQ on WikiTemp and it seems like trying to play with a ds cart after installing mset breaks it. or at least that's what I'm assuming from #1.
I should be able to get it working again if I find out which firmware version one of my supercards has to be on... Shouldn't be too difficult since almost everything SC has ever released is still on their one server.

Thanks for the help :)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't have a gateway so I can't try installing again without re-enabling the mset exploit.
I used FBI. (1.34)
I just read part of the 3ds hacking FAQ on WikiTemp and it seems like trying to play with a ds cart after installing mset breaks it. or at least that's what I'm assuming from #1.
I should be able to get it working again if I find out which firmware version one of my supercards has to be on... Shouldn't be too difficult since almost everything SC has ever released is still on their one server.

You can still try to formate your 3DS if that doesn't work.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I used FBI. (1.34)

mset requires downgrading the System Settings app to either the 4.5 version or the 6.X version, depending on the ROP.

Also, this wasn't really answered before, how do I grab the whitelist and TWL_FIRM from the CDN?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
mset requires downgrading the System Settings app to either the 4.5 version or the 6.X version, depending on the ROP.

Also, this wasn't really answered before, how do I grab the whitelist and TWL_FIRM from the CDN?
3DNUS just put the titleID and version required.....but for the record it seems the TWL_FIRM from 1.0 doesnt work with 4.x+, you can use the one from 2.x though which is v1489

D

Deleted-19228

I'm not sure if this was ever put here but the DSTwo STILL works on the 3DS/n3ds with the 1.25 update that came out awhile back.

pakrett

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Acekard was blocked with TWL_FIRM, so the DS Cart White list won't help you getting that to work. To really fix that card, you'll have to downgrade to 4.x then update back to 9.2 using CIAs but excluding the TWL_FIRM and DS Cart White list CIAs. Then you have to restore backups of the 9.2 firm0/firm1 partitions using rxTools into the emunand you updated to 9.2 with CIAs (don't do this on sysnand directly you will brick the console). Then flash that emunand to sysnand.

Unless you know what you're doing, I would recommend getting a NAND mod before attempting this.

This is currently the way you'll get Acekard to work on your 9.x system. ;)

What ??? Restore Emunand to sysnand how did you do that ?

D

Deleted-19228

Flash emunand to sysnand. If you don't have a hard mod don't bother attempting it. Emunand and sysnand are the exact same thing. Only difference is gateway loads into emunand with patches, can't patch the sysnand directly.

pakrett

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Flash emunand to sysnand. If you don't have a hard mod don't bother attempting it. Emunand and sysnand are the exact same thing. Only difference is gateway loads into emunand with patches, can't patch the sysnand directly.

Why this is not work when it test it ? I install 9.0E update files downloaded with 3dnus on a 4.5E palantine cfw then I extract the rednand, convert to emunand then restore to SD and try with rxtool, everything works great. I made a backup with emunandtool again and rename it to NAND.BIN put, it on my sd card, restore : BLACK SCREEN.

I do something wrong for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls