[Release] Ultimate SNES VC Injector for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Asdolo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    Ok cool that's kinda what I thought it would be. I've tried to avoid using retroarch emulators as I've had some crashing and lost lots of save data in the past but I never tried it for SNES so I'll give it a try!

2. Mansize

Mansize GBATemp Hardware

GBAtemp Patron
    Mansize is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    The preferred method is the native VC emulator for Terranigma. If you cant find a working CIA, try looking into removing the extra region check through ROM hacking. That should work too, though I dont know how hard it is to do as Ive not done it myself. The person who made the CIA floating around the web obviously did.

So far, the only games that Ive really need Retroarch for;

- Secret of Mana (because of the garbled menus
    - Spiderman & the Xmen (because of the garbled Spidersense)
    - Clocktower (because the translation patch does something unsavory to the ROM)
    - Any game with unsupported chips

Last edited by Mansize, Jul 3, 2017
    CatmanFan likes this.
  3. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks man! No matter how hard I looked I can't find an english version of that CIA anywhere! I have zero experience with hacking roms myself so hopefully it will run ok emulated. Thanks for the additional info though!

4. Mansize

Mansize GBATemp Hardware

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    To clarify; the specific problem with Terranigma is that it is an EU ROM, and the SNES VC is USA. Some (but not all) games had this secundary region check built in to counter region converters. Usually this is easily solved by using a USA ROM, but of course for Terranigma this isnt an option as it wasnt released there.

Other important games that definitely have this check;
    - Super Mario All Stars
    - Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
    - Super Metroid
    - Mario RPG (though this poses no problem for the 3ds vc as it wasnt released in EU and the extra chip isnt emulated yet anyway XD)

Significant EU game that DOESNT have this check is Lufia (2), as the USA release is a glitch fest at two specific points.

Last edited by Mansize, Jul 6, 2017
    CatmanFan likes this.
  5. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I can't believe I'm using my PS3 again.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    W H Y
    I think Earthbound should probably be the best base for making SNES VC injections, since there are no sound glitches and it has a good compatibility with most SNES games. I tried Zombies Ate My Neighbours with this base and @cots's snesinjector and there are no crackling/buzzing sounds at all, same with Looney Tunes B-Ball.

6. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the insight!

CatmanFan likes this.
  7. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    So just an update regarding Terranigma. I used the Ultimate SNES forwarder and I wasn't fully happy with how well some of the emulators worked. The snes9x in the fowarder lagged pretty hard and pocketNES had some smaller graphical stuff.

However I just downloaded the latest release of the SNES9x emulator (1.11 I think it was) and the latest version worked fantastically on my N3DSXL! Pretty much perfect to my naked eye. They really did a great job on it.

I used the prepatched rom with the NTSC 60FPS + text patch. All I had to do was go into the framerate settings in SNES9x and changed it to 60 (It defaults to 50fps even with the patched version for some reason).

SNES9x 1.11 is my new favourite SNES emulator on the N3DS. Very excited about it! Hopefully this helps somebody.

Last edited by mattlandry, Jul 7, 2017
  8. Mansize

Mansize GBATemp Hardware

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    pocketSNES however is your friend for SMW2 and I *think* SMRPG.

9. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah I haven't tested it with any special chip roms so yeah I bet you're right lol

10. mattlandry

mattlandry Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2017
    Canada
    Just for documentation purposes, The Firemen (Another PAL game) which has no special chips. It worked ok but had a few minor graphical bugs. Still playable. Works perfect on SNES9x 1.11 though. Let me know if you have a compatability list I can contribute to. I would love to help with one a little bit :)

11. B451CW11M0DD3R

B451CW11M0DD3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    sorry to ask but hows the progress on supporting SA1 chip? (for SMRPG)

CatmanFan likes this.
  12. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo would have to release a VC game supporting the chip before the VC injector can support it AFAIK. Basically, the injector automates a process that can be done "by hand"; the process of replacing the ROM image in a Virtual Console game (which is essentially a Nintendo-programmed emulator) with another one. If Nintendo hasn't programmed the emulator to emulate a specific cartridge chipset, there's nothing Asdolo (or any other homebrew developer) can do to make it work. If you really want to play SMRPG on your 3DS, there are a few other emulators that do support the chip and can run it; just look into one of them instead.

Asdolo and CatmanFan like this.
  13. Prime321

Prime321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    Germany
    Sadly doesnt work with .smc roms :(

CrazyMaxx likes this.
  14. brandon916

brandon916 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2017
    United States
    google smc to smf converter. I couldn't post the link.

15. jupitteer

jupitteer byErman™

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    Today, for no reason at all, no roms are being detected by the program. No idea why. They're all either .smc or .sfc. I tried redownloading it, no luck. Anyone know what's going on?
    edit: nvm

Last edited by jupitteer, Sep 9, 2017
    CatmanFan likes this.
  16. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    I really like the program but are considering to add the download icon and banner for this injector like you did for the others?

CatmanFan likes this.
  17. Asdolo
    OP

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    I'm sending a PM to both of you, please check.

CatmanFan likes this.
  18. jupitteer

jupitteer byErman™

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    You don't need to PM me, I already fixed it.

CatmanFan likes this.
  19. Asdolo
    OP

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    Well, you may want to see the PM anyways. What was the problem?

CatmanFan likes this.
  20. jupitteer

jupitteer byErman™

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    It was just that my files were .smc. Kinda weird, because I thought I remembered injecting .smc files before. I just converted the file to .sfc.

CatmanFan likes this.