[RELEASE] UAE4ALL - Amiga emulator

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by cpasjuste, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Maverick81PL

Maverick81PL Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2013
    Poland
    Bojanice, Walbrzych, Poland
    Thanks for that :-D Now game works fine :-D
    About my question on new main menu (vita screen) its possible?

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Wow, this is amazing - how could I miss this? I think it's high time to get a Vita now, I remember spending countless days trying to get UAE4PSP to work properly!

Just a question though, why UAE4ALL2 (I suppose it's based on the Android version by lubomyr? I remember there was a Pandora version as well, but I can't remember the coder's name) and not the newer UAE4ARM?

Thanks for what you're doing, I've got a bunch of original Amigas (600, 1200, 4000) but it's kinda difficult finding space to set them up nowadays, so if I'm always on the lookout for a good portable emulator ;)

3. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    The cool thing with Amiga games is there are a lot which can be played with a gamepad. I think many games are perfect on Vita.
    Another great thing is the incredible amount of totally forgotten licenses which find a second life with this emulator.
    Some kids might even discover archeological treasures like Sleepwalker, Prehistorik, Jim Power, Panza Kick Boxing, Push-Over, Midwinter, Stunt Car Racer, Premiere, Heimdall, Chaos Engine, Alien Breed, Skidmarks, Arabian Nights, Apidya, Disc, Fire & Ice and hundreds more.
    And all of those games are still enjoyable: if people are still willing to buy Mutant Mudds or Shovel Knight in 2017, they will love Zool and Willy Beamish.

4. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    UAE4All
    UAE4Arm is harder to port, more dependencies...

5. Gotcha007

Gotcha007 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    awesome work! Thanks a lot! This is so cool to see the Amiga 500 again

6. Muxi

Muxi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Is there a way to sort the adf-files alphabetically ?

7. raulpica

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    Oh I see. So this is based on UAE4ALL and not UAE4ALL2? :unsure:

8. cpasjuste
    OP

cpasjuste GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Hi,

Its based on uae4all2 yes. I don't remember why I didn't choose uae4arm but there was some reasons (maybe easier to port, most updated etc..).

raulpica likes this.
  9. raulpica

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    IIRC UAE4ALL2 has been supplanted by UAE4ARM and isn't developed anymore.

Well, it's better than nothing ;) UAE4ALL2 is still a great emulator.

10. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    I think UAE4ARm requires a port of guichan which hasn't been ported to vita yet?!?! I might be wrong...

It is true UAE4arm would be better but uae4all2 is already quite nice. It would be great if someone could try to port UAE4ARm I don't have that much time but might try at some point. Could probably reuse the keyboard and some other work we have done so far.

raulpica likes this.
  11. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I think it's a waste of time to build another Amiga emulator when this one works as well as it does. Probably better to concentrate on something else... like that X68000 emulator. :D

12. cpasjuste
    OP

cpasjuste GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Hi @rsn8887, i just pushed support for the ASM optimisations, not sure if it's really usefull it would need more test.

13. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    EDIT: New release, I added two player (second controller) support on Vita TV. Only tested for an hour playing Chaos Engine on my TV. Seems to work fine. The second paired Dualshock always controls the "other" joystick in addition to any other custom or default mapping. Doesn't work if port is set to "both".
    ---

Cpasjuste, great awesome! I was thinking of UAE4Arm and the asm optimizations there. Probably the same as these here?

Quick test with Jim Power, slowest game: I found it was 1 fps faster in Jim Power. Without asm: 25 fps, with asm: 26 fps! But it might show more improvement somewhere else. AFAIK It uses hand crafted manual NEON optimized routines now in the drawing.cpp. I am not sure how much faster it will really be.

I am not sure when you will release, so in the meantime here is a compiled version in the usual place. The old ones are also there if anybody encounters problem with the new added asm support.

www.github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases

If anybody tests this please see if you notice any big speed improvements. As I said, I saw a slight improvement (1 fps) in one game I tried.

- added two player support on Vita TV, second paired Dualshock controller controls the 'other' joystick, only works if port is not set to 'both'
    - fixed a crash bug when changing audio parameters while sound was playing

- assembler optimizations enabled by Cpasjuste, emulator is faster now!

Last edited by rsn8887, Jan 9, 2017
    raulpica likes this.
  14. cpasjuste
    OP

cpasjuste GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Well, if you have the "courage", you can try to implement notaz M68K ARM ASM core : https://github.com/notaz/cyclone68000
    I did use it in a project i will release very soon (an FBA port made from scratch for the vita) so it's possible, but it will be a lot of work and i won't have the time to do it myself :/ But you can double performances :)

ArugulaZ likes this.
  15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    FBA standalone optimised for vita? Oh hell yes many times over!! :)

16. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Awesome.

New release for UAE4all2, pull requests made. as usual www.github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases

- full support for up to 4 controllers on Vita TV that can be fully mapped individually
    - filelists (adf, hdf, etc) are now sorted alphabetically with directories at the top
    - added option to turn off mouse emulation because it often interferes with second player (port 0 joystick) when playing multiplayer on the Vita TV
    - added option to turn on sprite-sprite collisions, useful for Spacetaxi 3
    - changed blitter default to "immediate" it seems to be more compatible

NOTE config files will probably not be compatible (might have to re-enable mouse etc.)

Last edited by rsn8887, Jan 11, 2017
  17. Muxi

Muxi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Problems with version 1.43 - the first game from the rom folder is not inserted in df0. I previously had version 1.40, since it has worked. What could that be ?

18. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    I quickly tried this:
    -Create a folder
    -Put a bunch of adf files into it
    -Start emulator
    -Select df0
    -Select the first adf file in the list (below "..")
    It inserted and loaded fine.

If you give me clear instructions like he above how I reproduce the bug myself then I will fix it in the next release.

Last edited by rsn8887, Jan 11, 2017
  19. Kerbangman

Kerbangman GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2016
    How about what adf file did you use. E.g the name of it ?

20. Muxi

Muxi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    The name of the game is airborne ranger, i have taken another version - now it works.