Hacking [RELEASE] UAE4ALL - Amiga emulator

Trophies
XP
Country
its very simple, download Classic workbench from here http://classicwb.abime.net/ , i picked the light version.

Then using winuae boot with an amiga 1200 config using the .hdf file from the classic wb pack,

Follow the on screen prompts , i used Workbench 3.1 disks ,

When finished you should reboot to a 3.1 installation of workbench with classic wb theme.

Included in classic workbench is whdload, which is a program which lets you install amiga disks

You can DL whdload packs from here https://www.whdownload.com/index.php

Just download some packs drag them into your winuae emulation.

You have to put them in the games folder at the bottom for them to be saved to the hdf file

When youve finshed that just ftp the hdf file to your vita and run uae4all

Last edited by Deleted member 281690,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did get this installed, but actually running games has been a trial. Fightin' Spirit AGA complains that it doesn't have enough shadow RAM. Increasing RAM in WinUAE just makes the game hang. This... is going to be an adventure, isn't it? And not the good kind, either.

EDIT: I got some of the games on WHDownload working, but not all. The early ones don't work with Workbench 3.1... I keep getting errors. Pity, as I was really looking forward to trying Lionheart...

Last edited by ArugulaZ,
Trophies
XP
Country
I've not tried many whdload installs but the ones I have tried worked perfectly, I haven't used whdload in along time so I'm very rusty, best bet is to make sure you've got all the relevant files needed for the game to play, even old A500 games should work fine, ive just tried lionheart and it works fine, i had to first set the memory to 2gb and 4gb fastmen, then tried to load it and it complained about missing files, I forgot that whdlload installs sometimes require extra files becuase they are loading games from different ks versions, you have to put a copy of the kickstart rom it is asking for in devs/kickstarts and rename it to whatever it is asking for,

It may take a little time to get set up but once you have all the files in the right places the whdload packs shouldnt give
you to many headaches.

1 more thing, i cannot seem to alter the hdf on the vita, if u add a dir in the settings , the folder will show up but will not write to the hdf file, So make sure you do all your additions to the hdf file on your pc with winuae and then copy the hdf back to your vita.

this should help give it a read http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

Also these are the settings I have on my Vita

2m chip,4mb fast
68020 cpu
aga
14mhz -For some reason setting this to 28mhz caused sound glitches in Lionheart and possibly other games.

screen
preset width 320
height 320 x 262 upscaled

custom settings
lines 256
width 588

use control method 3 and you can use X to jump and triangle as fire

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
I've not tried many whdload installs but the ones I have tried worked perfectly, I haven't used whdload in along time so I'm very rusty, best bet is to make sure you've got all the relevant files needed for the game to play, even old A500 games should work fine, ive just tried lionheart and it works fine, i had to first set the memory to 2gb and 4gb fastmen, then tried to load it and it complained about missing files, I forgot that whdlload installs sometimes require extra files becuase they are loading games from different ks versions, you have to put a copy of the kickstart rom it is asking for in devs/kickstarts and rename it to whatever it is asking for,

It may take a little time to get set up but once you have all the files in the right places the whdload packs shouldnt give
you to many headaches.

1 more thing, i cannot seem to alter the hdf on the vita, if u add a dir in the settings , the folder will show up but will not write to the hdf file, So make sure you do all your additions to the hdf file on your pc with winuae and then copy the hdf back to your vita.

this should help give it a read http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

Also these are the settings I have on my Vita

2m chip,4mb fast
68020 cpu
aga
14mhz -For some reason setting this to 28mhz caused sound glitches in Lionheart and possibly other games.

screen
preset width 320
height 320 x 262 upscaled

custom settings
lines 256
width 588

use control method 3 and you can use X to jump and triangle as fire

Imagine an Amiga 500 trying to address 4GB of memory :D Even if it was possible the end result would be a system which could then load around 3500 floppy discs into ram, that would be so much fun haha.

I found the same as you btw with the 28mhz, it causes Settlers to just have crazy issues on the first few screens and then crash completely before launching the actual game. This emulated system does take a lot of messing around for some games to work well, but then some others are a dream on it, like Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk is a single disc game which just plays perfectly with no extra messing about needed. But then something like Flashback requires so much work to not just get the game to start but also you need to remap the controls to give you access to F1 so you can open the menu and select items to use them, it's only playable up until the bridge which requires a charged cartridge without a ton of messing with the control setups.

Trophies
XP
Country
Just use the whdload install of Flashback, ive tested it on my vita and it works fine, I also was able to assign F1 key to triangle and Enter to L, It is abit tricky at the moment navigating the gui, but it worked in game , I set 2 button joystick mode on the flashback menu screen, started a game and collected the holocube, was able to open menu easily with triangle button open the holocube using L button and also run, shoot, holster gun.

Im impressed with the 1st release ,but still needs more work, we need keyboard support,better gui and better scaling, I hope we see an Xmas update.

Reactions: RaniaAl

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
Just use the whdload install of Flashback, ive tested it on my vita and it works fine, I also was able to assign F1 key to triangle and Enter to L, It is abit tricky at the moment navigating the gui, but it worked in game , I set 2 button joystick mode on the flashback menu screen, started a game and collected the holocube, was able to open menu easily with triangle button open the holocube using L button and also run, shoot, holster gun.

Im impressed with the 1st release ,but still needs more work, we need keyboard support,better gui and better scaling, I hope we see an Xmas update.

I might give that a look, I had really just wanted to compare how flashback on the Amiga had looked compared to the Megadrive version because I was never able to get an Amiga version of the game while I had the system.

And yeah this port of the Amiga emulator is fantastic for one of the native Vita homebrews, I couldn't be more impressed with it considering the machine it's emulating is basically a PC with up gradable hardware and OS software.

Trophies
XP
Country
I might give that a look, I had really just wanted to compare how flashback on the Amiga had looked compared to the Megadrive version because I was never able to get an Amiga version of the game while I had the system.

And yeah this port of the Amiga emulator is fantastic for one of the native Vita homebrews, I couldn't be more impressed with it considering the machine it's emulating is basically a PC with up gradable hardware and OS software.

I grew up with the Amiga version and never knew until recently that the Amiga intro is cut, the dos version has a longer cell shaded style intro, the worst intro ive seen is on sega cd , terrible FMV.

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
I grew up with the Amiga version and never knew until recently that the Amiga intro is cut, the dos version has a longer cell shaded style intro, the worst intro ive seen is on sega cd , terrible FMV.

Only had access to the SNES and Megadrive versions of the game, but the Megadrive version was weirdly superior in ways, the intro even on the SNES is missing a lot of the audio and the audio doesn't change when the craft is shot down at the end, just the same tone plays constantly. It's the same in game when it comes to recharging your shields or powering up the cartridge for the gateway, the Megadrive has unique audio for both items but the SNES just has a "powering up" audio which it uses for both items, it must be the power of BLAST PROCESSING!

SNES

Megadrive

I'll have to check out the SegaCD version at a point... I'm just picturing the girls from Night Trap running around having a pillow fight before some guys in masks come in and shoot them... (if only)

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
The Snes and Megadrive intro is also cut , check out the dos version

Damn, after checking Ebay this version of the game also had speech in place of the text that was in the versions I've played through, would love to know what Conrad sounded like, I guess that is what happens when you go from a 650MB CDrom version of the game to the 1.5MB version on the Megadrive.

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't realise it had speech will have to check it out, haven't played shaq fu but just had a look and being a beat em up fan I'll check it out once it's installed,

I've been tinkering a bit more with uae, I made a 2gb HDf file with winuae on the PC, I then copied the other classic wb install we did earlier across to the new hdf, didn't realise at the time the classic wb hdf file is only 200mb. I'm now in the process of copying across 1.5 gb of whdload installs, so far the ones I have copied and tried all work

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
This brings back some memories, I remember our Amiga 500 with 1mb of ram and no hard drive well. This was our family's main computer until we got a PC in 1998.

Now even most cheap mobile phones have 1gb of ram, just shows how far we have come since then!

yadster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I remember using an Amiga emulator on the original Xbox (WinuaeX). I had a boot.adf that had all the relevant system files (WHDload etc) and then (I think) there was a HDF file full of games. This made it extremely easy and quick to boot games without having to boot up Workbench. I'll have to dig-out my Xbox and have a rummage through its hard drive to see if I can find these and see if I can get them to work on the Vita.

Reactions: ital and mindglitch

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even though it is cut, the Amiga version is the best one because of the soundtrack. No sound chip or piece of hardware could match the Amiga chipset.
On IBM PC, we had to wait for the first wavetable enabled sound cards, many years later (about 10)

Last edited by lincruste,

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
This brings back some memories, I remember our Amiga 500 with 1mb of ram and no hard drive well. This was our family's main computer until we got a PC in 1998.

Now even most cheap mobile phones have 1gb of ram, just shows how far we have come since then!

I've got a USB stick now with more storage than my first... maybe 5 PC's... combined, if I could show the younger me some of todays technology I'm fairly sure my head would explode, even the thought that you could take the whole Amiga1200 and then emulate that whole system on a handheld, head... literally explode at the thought lol.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I've got a USB stick now with more storage than my first... maybe 5 PC's... combined, if I could show the younger me some of todays technology I'm fairly sure my head would explode, even the thought that you could take the whole Amiga1200 and then emulate that whole system on a handheld, head... literally explode at the thought lol.

Same here haha, our family's first PC had an 8.4gb hard drive which the person that built the PC said we'd never fill, sure enough we did, so we added a 12gb hard drive to it a year later.

Now i have Micro SD card's almost the size of my finger nail, with many times more storage. If the younger me knew the future he'd probably probably think that was crazy.

Last edited by InsaneNutter,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ?draeh ton uoy evaH