Trying to avoid getting cancer
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've updated the elf app to an installable channel on your system menu. I advise installing to USB if possible. Everything works now except for saving, but I've included an easy workaround until I can add a better fsdev.

Here's the README -
U-Paint v3.0 RPX by brienj

Setup:
Put the U-Paint folder from the archive into the install folder of your SD card. Install the app with the latest wup installer. Requires sig patching of some kind.

Saving does not work completely yet. It will only save a picture if one is present on the SD card already. As a workaround until it gets fixed, copy the drawing folder to the root of the SD card making sure not to overwrite any pictures you have already saved in previous versions.

Instructions:
Touchpad - Use the stylus or your finger in the top-left area to draw on the DRC screen and TV, select colors in the right-hand area
L-Stick: Move view when zoomed in
R-Stick: Up = Zoom In, Down = Zoom Out
A Button: Undo (cycles through the last 10 saved undo pictures to memory)
B Button: Toggles Brush or Spray Mode
Y Button: Toggles Fill (brush becomes completely filled circle) or No-Fill Mode
Minus Button: Decreases Brush Size
Plus Button: Increases Brush Size
LB or RB: Show/Hide Menu
ZL or ZR: Turns on Dropper Mode while held (allows you to assign droppered color to active color)
Home Button: Exit

Painting Mode -
D-PAD U/D: Changes Hardness Level
D-PAD L/R: Changes Flow Level

Color Picker Mode -
D-PAD U/D: Change either R, G, or B (the one with radio button selected) value up/down on the color picker screen

Load/Save Mode -
D-PAD L/R: Change Page Number

The current zoom level, brush size, and brush type are shown in the lower-right area of the DRC screen. To the left of that, it shows your active color. Touching this box opens up the color picker menu. The color picker is like the one in Photoshop. It defaults to the slider controlling the red value. You can also either select green or blue with the radio buttons next to them on the right hand side of the menu. Touching the right side box will set the color change, or touching the red x in the top-right corner will close the menu. You can change the active color by choosing any of the 10 colors on the right hand side of the main menu. The last color is the background color which is used when you clear the screen.

The load and save menus allow you to load or save PNG format images. To load pictures, they must be named any number number between "Picture1.png" and "Picture36.png" and placed in the "sd:/drawings" folder. The number of load/save slots may be increased in the future, but most likely you will be able to name your pictures or load any that are in the "sd:/drawings" directory in any future update. Multiple picture formats may also be supported in the future, but the program currently saves to lossless PNG format, which is really the best quality for file size that is possible.

Remember that everything you see on the DRC screen is a representation of the actual FULL picture which is on the TV. When you are zoomed out on the DRC, you are seeing the full picture that is on the TV, but reduced by 2/3 size, since the DRC is 854 x 480 and the TV is 1280 x 720. When you are zoomed in, the pixels are identical.

Planned to be added:
Saving and loading palettes
??? - Naming saved pictures or loading any picture in the "sd:/drawings" folder
??? - Design a brush

Special thanks to aliaspider for helping find a problem with the channel.

Changes -
Beta 1: Initial beta release
Beta 2: Partially fixed saving
Beta 3: Corrected the Title ID so it doesn't conflict with my Browser Test app
Final: Fixed all problems but saving, but partially works

Download Link -
http://www.wiiubru.com/appstore/chan_zips/u-paint.zip

Last edited by brienj,

brienj

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
OP has been updated with a workaround to save your pictures for now. Once I get the saving working if a file is not already present on the SD card and get vibration re-enabled, I will make it a final release. Keeping the current picture when pressing the HOME button and then hitting resume will take a lot of extra work, and it's something I may fix down the road, but for now, just don't press the HOME button unless you plan on exiting the app.

Also, Miyamoto will be the splash screen in the beta versions, but by the time I make a final release, I should hopefully have a nice looking splash screen made for the program, unless people like him as the splash screen like it is now. :D

The icon was also updated in the latest version.

Last edited by brienj,

brienj

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update to Beta 3, I corrected the Title ID so it doesn't conflict with my Browser Test app if you happen to have it installed. I forgot to change the Title ID in the meta.xml file, I had only changed the Group ID. New download link is in the first post.

brienj

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I discovered a bug in this. Since this app was based on HBL, in the conversion process there is something I am missing, and this only works if the HBL channel is run at least once before you start it. I am currently figuring out what I am missing to make it work properly. I've already added the vibration back to it, I just haven't released it yet. I hope to have the problem with needing to start HBL at least once figured out soon(TM). A final release will be coming not long after I figure the problem out.

The first post was updated with a non-beta version. Could a moderator please update the thread name to remove BETA? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sup