[RELEASE] The BootCTR9 release thread

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RednaxelaNnamtra, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Alex S

Alex S Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    ill make sure to report any if i encounter them. thank you :3

2. chronoss

chronoss GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    Can't work on me :(, this my config file :

3. RednaxelaNnamtra
    OP

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    chronoss likes this.
  4. chronoss

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    I can boot to Luma but it doesn't launch my anim file :(, see my config file if it's right...

[BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000
    boot_splash = 0
    enableAutosoftboot = 1
    enableArm9CompanionBoot = 1

;Section to allow a9lh net companion payload auto booting
    [COMPANION]
    path = /a9nc.bin
    delay = 100
    offset = 0
    payload = -1

;luma with BootAnimation and enabled Pathfix
    [DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/boot.firm
    delay = 1000
    splash = 4
    splash_image = /anim
    screenBrightness = 0x30

5. RednaxelaNnamtra
    OP

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    Is "/anim" the file or a folder?
    You need to point directly to the animation file.

chronoss likes this.
  6. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    ayyyyyyyyy questions tho what version would n average consumer download

7. chronoss

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    It's a folder and inside there is "anime" and a "config" file

So, it will be ""/anim/anim" ?
    First "anim" is a folder and a second is a file...

Last edited by chronoss, Jul 15, 2017
    RednaxelaNnamtra likes this.
  8. RednaxelaNnamtra
    OP

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    depends on your entrypoint, if you are using Arm9loaderhax, most of the time the github release would be the best, if you are using bootstrap9 use the release for yout bootstrap9 version on here in the thread, and if you have problems with luma saying the path is unsupported use the build from here
    Yes, thats right, but you should also rename the config file to [animationname].cfg for an text config, or [aniomationname].cfb for a binary configuration. :)

Beerus and chronoss like this.
  9. chronoss

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    Great, it work now ;) thanks ;)

10. George miller

George miller Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    Is Gateway working on luma 8.1?

11. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Luma v8.1's chainloader still has no support for converted "-e 0" payloads, nor .bin files, so, no. You still need to use BootCTR9 for GW (and Puma). Though there are no drastic changes to Luma's chainloader that interfere with BootCTR9's functionality, if that's what you're asking. In other words, if you have GW working already, updating to 8.1 should not break it. Though you might want to update BootCTR9 to the one posted at the bottom of page 4 to avoid random "unsupported location" errors if you're NOT using BootCTR9 as your primary chainloader (doesn't load text-based apps like GM9, also, Luma nightlies released on or after 7/14 seem to have significantly reduced occurrences of this as well).

As for why you might want to use Puma, because it uses a different path for it's configuration file, unlike Legacy. So, there's no need to redo your configuration every time you switch. Of course, it's based on 6.6, so if you need a feature from 7.x, it won't help you there. Still, it will get you into a partially-updated EmuNAND (GW-compatible 11.4/11.5), so that you can, for example, install the Echoes DLC (EDIT: The last Luma 8.x I tried did not crash loading a partially updated EmuNAND). Or a 9.2 EmuNAND with MenuHax installed, so that you can run all of the FPS conversions 8.1 doesn't work with (ctrWolfen, eDuke3D, Spectre3DS, ctrHexenII). And without the need to re-setup your homebrew app the next time you run 8.x. You DO need to point path.txt to a .bin copy for the reset patches to work, though (it launches just fine as a converted .firm, but cannot relaunch itself as one).

BTW, I've included a converted GW payload in case you or anyone else needs it. This obsoletes the old v2gw.bin trick. The converted payload doesn't need it. Just place it wherever you want it (I use a folder named /b9s/payloads) and have BootCTR9 launch it directly. I can upload my Puma conversion as well if anyone wants it. Though I've been unable to observe any advantage over just loading it in .bin format. And as I said, you need a .bin copy for reboot patches to work anyway. Still, if anyone wants it, let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Kazuma77, Aug 9, 2017
  12. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
    So... where can I find a boot animation sharing thread for b9s users?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

13. George miller

George miller Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I would love a zip or rar with the way I have to set it up to make it work, since I seem a bit confused after all this info, but totally thankful for that awesome response.

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Just look for the bootanim9 animation thread. Bootctr9 uses the same format so the animations in that that should work (except the bottom screen)
    Edit: Whoops accidentally quoted wrong person

15. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Well, I've got one of those I've been working on that's nearly complete. But I'd have to delete half of what's in it to upload it here, because it's fully loaded. I was planning release it and what will probably be the last version of my A9LH AIO on that iso site, but, I may be able to put a stripped down copy up here.

16. George miller

George miller Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    DonĀ“t worry and got it working, thanks Kazuma77

Got the boot file you said (which is BootCTR9) on the lower part of page 4, renamed it to down_BootCTR9.firm also placed it with the Gateway.firm file you shared with me (up here in the comments) in luma/payloads in my SD

In the SD's root I placed the config.ini file and changed all text to these lines:

[BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/payloads/Gateway.firm

Turned my 3ds while pressing down on the D pad and...
    WORKED LIKE CHARM.

Last edited by George miller, Jul 20, 2017
  17. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
    please delete this post. Wrong topic.

Last edited by NANASHI89, Jul 20, 2017
  18. RednaxelaNnamtra
    OP

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    I just updated the repository, so the current bootloader branch should work with boot9strap.

Also the full boot9strap release should come in the near future, include an arm9loaderhax version.

hurrz and Kazuma77 like this.
  19. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the update. It doesn't look like I'll need to do a custom compile anytime soon though. The chainloader I was expecting to need two copies for was Skeith's. Which hasn't even been updated for B9S yet apparently. Truth be told, I was trying to do it the lazy way (extract with firmtool, hex edit, throw it back together with firmtool). I'd probably need to update my toolchain before trying to compile from source.

Still, it's good to know progress is being made on my favorite chainloader. And I'm not just saying that. It's been my choice since April of last year because it just works with everything I throw at it. Though I also like that it's hotkey-based and uses a configuration file.

That said, I did just run into a problem with the release on page 4. I went to load Godmode9 and got a black screen. Everything that boots in text mode gives a black screen for that matter. I should have caught that sooner, but I somehow forgot to update it on the system I've been doing most of my tests with. Well, you did warn us there could be bugs. And it's not like that error shows up too much on the old one on page 3.

EDIT: I finally updated my devkitpro and tried to compile it. It gives me a 168K file that does not seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, though.

Last edited by Kazuma77, Aug 1, 2017
    RednaxelaNnamtra likes this.
  20. xXxSwagnemitexXx

xXxSwagnemitexXx The person who asks n00b questions

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    We need support for .firm!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh wait, nvm about my last post