[Release] TemperPCE for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bubble2k16, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    It's a bit of a bummer that ISO/OGG/CUE doesn't work (or at least it didn't for me when I converted a game, it works otherwise), and I can't play Monster Lair even for 30 seconds without a crash reported by Luma 8.0, but other than that, I'm happy with this! I wasn't expecting CD compatibility at all, much less other CD games I've played not crashing when I try to either switch games or exit the emulator, and said games actually play well! One release and it's already better than the RetroArch core. Thanks bubble, and thank you Exophase for making Temper and helping bubble with the next version. Looking forward to it!

bubble2k16 likes this.

2. Exophase

Exophase Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2008
    United States
    Good find... I guess this must have not come up in testing because somehow global_cycles being clipped to 32-bit wasn't causing an issue for synchronization elsewhere (otherwise this would have caused issues around 200 seconds in and should have been noticed), and by chance the carry flag was cleared by something before calling this function. The latter part is probably what changed for you and is causing problems.

This is definitely something that should be fixed for anyone else who ever uses the ARM interpreter.

Last edited by Exophase, Jun 22, 2017
    Joel16 likes this.
  3. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    I am thinking of just using whatever is in cpu_arm_asm.s for the CPU emulation. Is the CPU_ARM_COMPATIBILITY_MODE as good compatibility as the cpu.c for all games?

4. Exophase

Exophase Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm not totally sure, but I think they're the same. And the only difference between fast and compatibility mode is that in the latter the PC fetch pointer is checked to see if it crosses segment boundaries. This is an issue only if the game maps code segments that are contiguous in the address space but not contiguous in physical memory. I'm only aware of one game that does this.

5. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Seems like a number of games lock up after using the compatible ASM core. So I'm letting the user choose the core they want to use to emulate; the default will be the original C core which seems to run better.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

v0.91 Release

• Fixed frame rate issues with CD-ROM games speeding up to 100-200 FPS
    • Fixed skipping CD music
    • Improved overall CD/ADPCM synchronization.
    • Added option to select optimized CPU core (less compatible)

1.3 MB temperpce_3ds-v0.91.zip

I had to release this quickly, because I'm going to be out of action for a while - it's work again building up. :) I'll stick around for any support problems, and do report bugs and stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited by bubble2k16, Jun 24, 2017
    angelhp, nyder, BL4Z3D247 and 5 others like this.
  6. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Damn, another bubbly's break
    Welp, you did too much for the community, so I think you deserve a break time.
    Thanks a lot for your emus3ds :yay3ds:

SaffronXL likes this.
  7. LeoPGB

LeoPGB Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't know why, but he emulator fails to load the CD roms if i change their names.

8. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Open the .cue file with Notepad and edit the name on the first line as well. Then it'll work.

9. nyder

nyder GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    nice, thanks for the update.

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    so about the syscard files, there's multiple versions of v2 and 3, does it make any difference which one i use? should i use the supposed later versions?

11. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    what i did

12. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Save states work just fine. Saving in-game seems to work... until you exit the emulator, and when you return to it it's like you never saved.

Last edited by Palom, Jun 28, 2017
  13. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hmm I don't have an answer to that. I suppose using the latest of each major version is the best.

Thanks for pointing out. I will test it sometime this week to see if I can fix it. I had this nagging suspicion when I always had to watch the full intro of rondo of blood every time I run it.

14. Shebby289

Shebby289 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2017
    Malaysia
    Thanks for your work! Been having a blast playing Rondo of Blood. Besides the save issue can anything be done about the character flickering issue? It's not too noticeable when using richter but pretty bad when using Maria

15. Parallax2814

Parallax2814 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Canada
    What format does the Rondo of Blood image have to be in? I currently have it in iso format and the emulator isn't seeing it.

16. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    ISO is okay; but you also need an cue file. The cue file holds all the Information:

17. Parallax2814

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Canada
    Can I put it in a different format where the cue file isn't needed? Rename it to .pce format?

Edit: Nope. .pce format doesn't work and crashes the emulator.

Edit 2: Emulator isn't loading the game from the cue file at all. I don't know what's wrong. All I wanted to do this evening was play Rondo of Blood. :(

Last edited by Parallax2814, Jul 3, 2017
  18. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    grab the rom from that paradise site. It comes with the .cue file and works fine.

19. Parallax2814

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Canada
    I tried that and yeah it works. But I'm trying to play a 100% translated version from that iso site. It comes in .rar format and if I unpack it, TemperPCE does play it from the cue file but the sound is squealing very badly.

I'm not sure if its TemperPCE that is the issue or the files it's trying to access. When I play the audio files on my PC, it plays them fine. When using TemperPCE, the sound is unbearable in game.

Last edited by Parallax2814, Jul 4, 2017
  20. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hi Parallax, would you be so kind as to upload a video of how badly the sound squealing?

Also, do let me know a little more:
    - Are you using the latest version (v0.91)?
    - Is the squealing something like a blip that happens many times per second?
    - What is the SD card that you are using - a slow card may cause the emulator to read the CD audio too slowly to be generated... causing the emulator the stretch the sound (causing it too sound lower in frequency).
    - Can you try to enable frame skipping (1 frames), and enable idle loop patching to see if it helps?

AtlasFontaine likes this.