Homebrew Official [Release] Space Game!! v1.5 (HBL + Sound)

eliboa

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well done! I've learned some interesting things looking at your code, like the -O2 CFLAG to increase the compiler's optimization level or the speedup tricks for drawing functions. You should send a pull request to update libwiiu !!!

Reactions: josamilu

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everybody for the positive responses! Makes the long nights of frustrating coding-related headbanging worth it! :D

:(freeze at 5.5.0E
Hmm, sorry about this. I've seen someone around here saying they had some code that would fix the crashes on E systems, but I can't seem to find it.

Great job! :D Thanks for giving back to the community.
No, thank you!! Everything I did here was only possible by looking at your pong game.

Cool game! Why'd you disable YT embedding on your own thread? No biggie, I just figured you hadn't noticed.
Yep, that was my bad not even sure when I disabled that... It's enabled now!

Works here with my 5.5.1U console.

Stupid question: How can I shoot? I press every button but I just can't shoot, you need to touch the Screen or something?
Edit: Yes, you need to touch the Screen, incredible work!
Yeah, I didn't explain it very well, but in the video I'm moving with the left stick and then holding on screen with the stylus, which makes the ship rapid fire and rotate in the direction of the touch. This means when the ship is spiraling around, it's me doing circles around the ship with the stylus

Nice little game ! (even if shooting at tempy ;p) Thanks for releasing homebrew and starting releasing other things than loaders.
I'll add it to wiki too.

I thought you used GX2, but I see it's done with pixel drawing.
I thought it would be slow but it seems correct.
size is probably the issue and you can't use GX2 with 5.5.1 ?

edit: oh, and nice to see you added some explanation how you did the game to the readme.

For the sin/cos math, you could also use an array with values, instead of doing math with every cycle ?
Thanks! Yeah.. I thought about the message I was sending using that as the enemy, but I thought it would be worth it for the joke!

For the pixels, I moved the function-pointer-looking-up outside of the individual pixel draw to improve the time, and I also make use of an "invalid" variable to redraw (flipBuffers) the entire screen. I believe it's this use of flipBuffers that results no flickering: you draw on one buffer, render and switch to drawing on the other buffer.

The array thing is interesting and I hadn't thought of it. I could definitely see it giving a speed up.

Well done! I've learned some interesting things looking at your code, like the -O2 CFLAG to increase the compiler's optimization level or the speedup tricks for drawing functions. You should send a pull request to update libwiiu !!!
Thank you! I'm glad to hear my investigations were worthwhile. I am looking into a pull request for the libwiiu repo, but I want to be somewhat cleaner than what I've done here, and also to go through and make sure it actually provides the advantages I claim it does without creating any major disadvantages (like size issues/crashes).

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this wonderful game!
It freezes for me on 5.5.0E.

I tried going to wiiubrew.com but it seems to be a different page or something or has moved??

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
// Play as Etika // if (mySpaceGlobals->passwordEntered == 37124) // { // mySpaceGlobals->playerChoice = 2; // decompress_sprite(740, 36, 36, compressed_boss, mySpaceGlobals->orig_ship, 39); // mySpaceGlobals->curPalette = boss_palette; // mySpaceGlobals->transIndex = 39; // mySpaceGlobals->state = 7; // }

I love you even more

WHY WAS THIS COMMITTED OUT!

WiiuGold

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added it to exploit.wiiubrew.net :) enjoy .. We will be adding alot of new things there, with a new exploit site coming soon

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice job! I was also thinking about doing something similar with all the services that were constantly being called, and thanks to you, I didn't have to test and know it will work just great. I am impressed with your images library, I was working on something similar, but gave up for the time being, because I need to finish the program I am working on. I've lost a lot of time on what I was doing, because of a stupid for-loop mistake, and since there isn't real debugging it took me a while to finally realize my mistake. I hope that all the time I've spent working on my program will pay off as it has for you. You did an outstanding job! I may use your image library for my next project, if I don't finish mine, but I'll make sure to fully credit you if I do, and if it's ok with you.

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm, sorry about this. I've seen someone around here saying they had some code that would fix the crashes on E systems, but I can't seem to find it.

I was that guy, but this time fix is not working. I looked into the source and it's just like if the patch was already applied.
So now I can't play this game because I'm on 5.5.1E. Tomorrow I will look further for other fix. Anyway I think the problem is again in loader.c/loader.h because it freezes before clearing the screen.

Another beautiful thing

What is used to make these homebrews? Is it just a raw programming language [with sprites]?

It's C plus specific compilers and libs

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Dude you are my hero! The game is great, but too difficult for an old man like me, any chance adding energy level before the life goes away? You know easy mode :D
Thank you! I think I'm done making changes for now, but if you'd like there's a not-so-secret cheat code to have 99 lives (it won't keep track of score though)

// Play as Etika // if (mySpaceGlobals->passwordEntered == 37124) // { // mySpaceGlobals->playerChoice = 2; // decompress_sprite(740, 36, 36, compressed_boss, mySpaceGlobals->orig_ship, 39); // mySpaceGlobals->curPalette = boss_palette; // mySpaceGlobals->transIndex = 39; // mySpaceGlobals->state = 7; // }

I love you even more

WHY WAS THIS COMMITTED OUT!
Lol... I commented out a couple of secret goodies cause it went over the filesize limit. Here's an experimental version that attempts to bypass that limit, with all those passcodes enabled.

Nice job! I was also thinking about doing something similar with all the services that were constantly being called, and thanks to you, I didn't have to test and know it will work just great. I am impressed with your images library, I was working on something similar, but gave up for the time being, because I need to finish the program I am working on. I've lost a lot of time on what I was doing, because of a stupid for-loop mistake, and since there isn't real debugging it took me a while to finally realize my mistake. I hope that all the time I've spent working on my program will pay off as it has for you. You did an outstanding job! I may use your image library for my next project, if I don't finish mine, but I'll make sure to fully credit you if I do, and if it's ok with you.
Thanks! Of course it's okay! If you have any questions about the library feel free to PM me

What is used to make these homebrews? Is it just a raw programming language [with sprites]?
It's programmed in C, here's an example of one of the code files! In this case, instead of images I am storing long arrays of information that is used to create the pixels in the sprites.

if your on 5.5.0 or 5.5.1 that link should work fine , try mine @ www.wiiubru.com/55.html
Thank you!

Thanks for making this wonderful game!
It freezes for me on 5.5.0E.

I tried going to wiiubrew.com but it seems to be a different page or something or has moved??
That sucks! Sorry. Does wiiubru work for you now? http://www.wiiubru.com/55.html

I was that guy, but this time fix is not working. I looked into the source and it's just like if the patch was already applied.
So now I can't play this game because I'm on 5.5.1E. Tomorrow I will look further for other fix. Anyway I think the problem is again in loader.c/loader.h because it freezes before clearing the screen.
Thanks, that is much appreciated. Is it any better on the the wiiubru link? http://www.wiiubru.com/55.html . The odd thing is my loader.c shouldn't be much different than the pong example's loader.c (although incidentally the call to clear screen is different, moved to the top of program.c).

Last edited by vgmoose,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end