[RELEASE] Smash-Selector

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Cydget, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

43.9%
  2. No

26.1%
  3. I didn't try yet

20.4%
  4. I wont try it due to the required luma3ds

9.6%
  1. CrazyMaxx

CrazyMaxx GAMER

Nov 13, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I cant find any Modpacks :(

2. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Alright, guess this would be expected, Smash Selector doesn't work with v1.1.7, displaying that the game was unable to find the latest data of the game. The weird thing though is that restoring a savefile I made before updating makes it work and displays 1.1.6 as the game version... hopefully this won't break stuff as replays are viewable in both 1.1.6 and 1.1.7 (thanks Ninty :P). Anyway, after booting without mods it returns to 1.1.7 again, then trying to boot mods again it displays the "unable to find data" message again

3. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Would a 3dsx release work without A9LH/B9S/Luma access?

4. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    Smash Selector currently relies on Luma's features, so no.
    I'm not the dev, tho, so I might be wrong and the devs could be working something out for other CFW.

5. JavaScribe

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    ...I don't have any CFW, I screwed up after waiting to install it because of bricking risks.
    Apparently FBI can install system updates (e.g. 11.0) and basically soft-brick your N3DS.

6. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    Oh, that's a shame. Yeah, Smash Selector definitely needs CFW to work because we're not just patching the base game, but also updates, which you need CFW for.

7. JavaScribe

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Ah. I don't have a powersave and my flashcart is a clone anyway, so...
    Well, thanks for clearing that up, at least.

8. Yudowat

Yudowat That one guy that shows up occasionally

Jun 12, 2015
    Australia
    While yes, Smash-Selector would work as intended, able to switch files on the SD to have another modpack load, without SaltySD you can't run modpacks anyway. If we get a magical way to use SaltySD without a CFW though, then modpacks will load and Smash-Selector will have a use. Hope this helps.

9. JavaScribe

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Interesting... any reason SaltySD can't run without CFW? I'm not sure what it actually does, but I'd guess it allows you to access the SD card while playing a game that isn't actively pulling data from the SD card.

10. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    Because SaltySD, from what I understand, is a modification of the update data of a game. You can't edit the update data without CFW. However, most rom hacks only patch the main game data, which you can do without any CFW required.
    I don't know exactly why update data can only be patched by CFW, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable on this as others are.

11. Yudowat

Yudowat That one guy that shows up occasionally

Jun 12, 2015
    Australia
    SaltySD is a modification loaded through luma CFW (luma has certain privileges to allow this sort of thing, which is why it won't work on vanilla systems.) Once SaltySD is active it changes the way Smash (or SuMo) loads the game. Usually, it goes Base Game>Update Data but SaltySD changes things to get it to load the game in a different order. Iirc, it's now Base Game>SD Card>Update Data, but I could have that a little mixed up.

TL;DR: SaltySD changes the way that the game loads it's data, which simply was never meant to happen, therefore it requires special privileges to work. (Luma CFW)

EDIT: Clarification, SaltySD is loaded through a code.bin file, which is possible to load without CFW, using HANS. However, HANS cannot load updates, which is a problem. @JavaScribe

Last edited by Yudowat, Aug 26, 2017
    Soulsilve2010 likes this.
  12. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    A new version has been released, version 2.4. This release includes:
    -A fully functional controls modifier, with support for n3DS buttons. Thanks to ih8ih8sn0w for the RE work on how controls work.
    -A brand new banner, courtesy of LinkSoraZelda
    -Usage of extended memory mode, also courtesy of LinkSoraZelda (less waiting time in between switching modpacks for o3DS users)
    -A prompt to enable the Luma setting for game patching if it isn't already.
    -An option for modpacks to provide their own custom code.ips files (see OP for details)
    -A 3DSX build
    -A large internal overhaul with a lot of trashy code stripped out, and a new config system. The result is an extreme performance boost.

Note to European and Japanese Smash users:
    SaltySD crashes on 1.1.7 for every region except USA. These crashes are random, and you may or may not experience them. This is the issue that causes crashes in 2.3 (and now 2.4 as well), not IPS files. If you want to continue considering IPS files the boogeyman, be my guest, however this is not the source of your frustration. When a fix is released, 2.5 will promptly come out including it.
    To Corbenik users:
    I know I said back in 2.3 that Corbenik support would return eventually, but the amount of upkeep it would need to be re-implemented would far outweigh the benefits. So it will not be returning. Sorry :/
    About the 3DSX build:
    The 3DSX build is Rosalina only. On top of SaltySD not functioning properly outside of CFW, Smash Selector is designed with full privileges in mind and uses several CFW-only functions. Although some features might work on Ninjhax, most won't for sure, and I recommend you don't bother.

We hope you enjoy! :D
    3DSX Download
    CIA Download

Last edited by Swiftloke, Aug 27, 2017
  13. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    The new update is actually sick! I never expected button remapping in this one and having C-Stick to attack helps so much!

I'm assuming that button remapping is safe for multiplayer?

14. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Indeed, it is.

EDIT: Credit to this guy, ih8ih8sn0w for complete research/discovery and testing of button save data and Swiftloke for its implementation in Smash Selector.

Last edited by LinkSoraZelda, Aug 27, 2017
  15. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Glad to have done every bit of research into how controls are saved, stored, and loaded while still not at least being aware of this being implemented anywhere.

16. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    @Swiftloke is i possible to remap c stick to d pad on o3ds?

17. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    I'm pretty sure you can set the Dpad buttons to Attack and you should be ok

18. Beerus

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    would it be possible to use smash selctor on the latest version cus when i load it my save gets deleted :(

Last edited by Beerus, Aug 28, 2017
  19. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    ... what?
    I use Smash Selector on both latest 3DS Firmware and Smash Update with no issues, I don't know how your save is getting deleted.

20. Beerus

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    do u also use salty sd on latest ver? and save intact?