Did this work for you?

• Total voters

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No, I'm not. I was contemplating on trying, but I wasn't willing to import 1GB+ of data that would probably just end in another crash.
Mind sending me your mods? Ill see if anything crashes my game and try to possibly fix it too.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind sending me your mods? Ill see if anything crashes my game and try to possibly fix it too.
I just want to point out that I was experiencing this menu crash well before I tried adding any mods. After installing SaltySD via Smash-Selector (and arranging my SD Card as detailed in the OP), I immediately tried launching my CIA of Smash 3DS (using an empty /saltysd/smash folder save for an empty desc.txt). Game crashed upon accessing the Main Menu.

Regardless, I'm in the process of uploading a .zip of my saltysd folder to dropbox (since attachments can only be up to 2MB). My crappy Internet connection is going to make me wait an hour or three, though, so I'll be here for a while.

Last edited by knavesmith,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a mod reads this, could you change the title of this thread to be [RELEASE] Smash-Selector
:)
Now, before any one thinks that this is another attempt to recreate melee, its not. Now that that is over with let me explain what smash selector is. It is a homebrew cia that allows you to download and patch the latest compiled SaltySD, and also allows you to quickly select different folders from witch to load your mods from.

The patching feature relies on luma3ds cfw in order to work. This eliminates the use of prebuild SaltySD update cias. Currently this feature is not in a released version of luma3ds, but you can download it from here.
I used believe I used comment version 61684ecb.

After you downloaded and installed the latest compiled Luma3ds, you have to set up your sd card.
You should create a folder called "saltysd" on the root of you sd card. Inside there, you should add as many folders as you want called smashXX where XX is a number. You should start your numbering at 1. If you want, you can create a text file called desc.txt in each of the smashXX folders. This should be a short description of what mods you put in that folder.
Here is a visual for those who want it. I included what a mod of captain falcons moves might look like in the smash1 folder.
Code:
G:\saltysd
|
|
+---smash1
|   |   desc.txt
|   |
|   \---animcmd
|       \---fighter
|           \---captain
|                \--game.bin
|            
+---smash2
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash3
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash4
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash5
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash6
|    \--desc.txt
|
\---smash7
      \--desc.txt
Here is another visual for good measue
Code:
G:/saltysd
G:/saltysd/smash1
G:/saltysd/smash1/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash2
G:/saltysd/smash2/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash3
G:/saltysd/smash3/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash4
G:/saltysd/smash4/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash5
G:/saltysd/smash5/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash6
G:/saltysd/smash6/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash7
G:/saltysd/smash7/desc.txt
Once you have downloaded and installed luma3ds and set up the sd card, configure luma3ds to allow code redirection by holding select while booting luma3ds. Now make sure "Enable region/language emu and external .code loading" is checked on.
Finally boot into your 3ds and launch your favorite cia installer and install Smash-Selector.
Launch Smash-Selector from the home menu and press select to download the latest saltysd.
Try not to spam downloading the saltysd update button. It takes a long time to download as it is, and I dont need tons of people slowing down the server.
In case some of the older saltysd users dont know, you no longer need to generate a cache file for the game to load fast. Actually, I believe generating it at all is obsolete.
Troubleshooting
The game only loads saltysd smash
Make sure you have the default smash update installed
SaltySD doesnt work
Make sure you are using smash version 1.1.6 If version 1.1.7 come out it may take a day or two in order for me to update it.
SaltySD still doesnt work
Its possible that the latest build has an error. If multiple people have this error then I will put the last working build up.
If nothing there works its possible that I messed up in the coding. I have only tested this with USA smash, so that might be the problem. PM me and I'll try to help.
Currently I have this set to build the latest SaltySD every three hours (Hopefully on the hour) but this may change.
EXCELLENT! WOW!

Sachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a mod reads this, could you change the title of this thread to be [RELEASE] Smash-Selector
:)
Now, before any one thinks that this is another attempt to recreate melee, its not. Now that that is over with let me explain what smash selector is. It is a homebrew cia that allows you to download and patch the latest compiled SaltySD, and also allows you to quickly select different folders from witch to load your mods from.

The patching feature relies on luma3ds cfw in order to work. This eliminates the use of prebuild SaltySD update cias. Currently this feature is not in a released version of luma3ds, but you can download it from here.
I used believe I used comment version 61684ecb.

After you downloaded and installed the latest compiled Luma3ds, you have to set up your sd card.
You should create a folder called "saltysd" on the root of you sd card. Inside there, you should add as many folders as you want called smashXX where XX is a number. You should start your numbering at 1. If you want, you can create a text file called desc.txt in each of the smashXX folders. This should be a short description of what mods you put in that folder.
Here is a visual for those who want it. I included what a mod of captain falcons moves might look like in the smash1 folder.
Code:
G:\saltysd
|
|
+---smash1
|   |   desc.txt
|   |
|   \---animcmd
|       \---fighter
|           \---captain
|                \--game.bin
|            
+---smash2
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash3
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash4
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash5
|    \--desc.txt
|
+---smash6
|    \--desc.txt
|
\---smash7
      \--desc.txt
Here is another visual for good measue
Code:
G:/saltysd
G:/saltysd/smash1
G:/saltysd/smash1/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash2
G:/saltysd/smash2/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash3
G:/saltysd/smash3/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash4
G:/saltysd/smash4/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash5
G:/saltysd/smash5/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash6
G:/saltysd/smash6/desc.txt
G:/saltysd/smash7
G:/saltysd/smash7/desc.txt
Once you have downloaded and installed luma3ds and set up the sd card, configure luma3ds to allow code redirection by holding select while booting luma3ds. Now make sure "Enable region/language emu and external .code loading" is checked on.
Finally boot into your 3ds and launch your favorite cia installer and install Smash-Selector.
Launch Smash-Selector from the home menu and press select to download the latest saltysd.
Try not to spam downloading the saltysd update button. It takes a long time to download as it is, and I dont need tons of people slowing down the server.
In case some of the older saltysd users dont know, you no longer need to generate a cache file for the game to load fast. Actually, I believe generating it at all is obsolete.
Troubleshooting
The game only loads saltysd smash
Make sure you have the default smash update installed
SaltySD doesnt work
Make sure you are using smash version 1.1.6 If version 1.1.7 come out it may take a day or two in order for me to update it.
SaltySD still doesnt work
Its possible that the latest build has an error. If multiple people have this error then I will put the last working build up.
If nothing there works its possible that I messed up in the coding. I have only tested this with USA smash, so that might be the problem. PM me and I'll try to help.
Currently I have this set to build the latest SaltySD every three hours (Hopefully on the hour) but this may change.
Report your own post, and just ask the mods to change the thread title in the "report reason"

Saix9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed this, I can get only one mod to work (change the forfeit screen to that of project M) and that's it. I'm trying to get other character texture mods to work, but they just don't. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided to take a nap and I wake up 4 hours later. Whoopsies!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qutxn3snt8nbdhh/knavesmith_saltysd.zip?dl=0
Here's my saltysd folder. The current smash folder (which is actually smash2) contains Smash Bros. TURBO'D. The smash1 folder contains a sound subfolder with all of the default music except for Find Mii and Yoshi's Island. I plan to use this for my personal compilation. The smash3 folder contains a sound subfolder with just default music. I used this folder to see if loading default files would help (it didn't).

Cydget

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided to take a nap and I wake up 4 hours later. Whoopsies!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qutxn3snt8nbdhh/knavesmith_saltysd.zip?dl=0
Here's my saltysd folder. The current smash folder (which is actually smash2) contains Smash Bros. TURBO'D. The smash1 folder contains a sound subfolder with all of the default music except for Find Mii and Yoshi's Island. I plan to use this for my personal compilation. The smash3 folder contains a sound subfolder with just default music. I used this folder to see if loading default files would help (it didn't).
Just tried smash turbo from your download and it works fine on my 3ds. Try deleting the folder /luma/code-sections/ and try updating saltysd
EDIT: Just tested the other two, and both seem to load past the title screen without crashing.

Last edited by Cydget,

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried smash turbo from your download and it works fine on my 3ds. Try deleting the folder /luma/code-sections/ and try updating saltysd
EDIT: Just tested the other two, and both seem to load past the title screen without crashing.
Deleted /luma/code-sections/ then tried reinstalling. Still crashes upon loading the Main Menu.

I'm stunned as to how nothing is apparently working. Maybe it's a system-specific thing?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deleted /luma/code-sections/ then tried reinstalling. Still crashes upon loading the Main Menu.

I'm stunned as to how nothing is apparently working. Maybe it's a system-specific thing?
My best guess would be either an issue with RAM (ie, are you on an o3DS?), or you have some weird situation going with your stock update. It *has* to be on 1.1.6 if you're using the code.bins going around at the moment, shouldn't be any other version or already modified.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My best guess would be either an issue with RAM (ie, are you on an o3DS?), or you have some weird situation going with your stock update. It *has* to be on 1.1.6 if you're using the code.bins going around at the moment, shouldn't be any other version or already modified.
I am running a N3DS XL with A9LH + Luma3DS-61684ecb on 11.0.0-33U firmware. I've already tried reinstalling the 1.1.6 update but to no avail.

knavesmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it work without saltySD?
Yes, it does. Here's my original post where I detailed some other information.
I'm probably being dumb and forgetting something really obvious...

I'm having trouble getting to the Main Menu of my CIA version of Smash 3DS. (Ripped from a USA Game Cartridge that I have since lost)

When I launch Smash, it will boot normally and reach the title screen. I can tell SaltySD was properly installed because I can see my installed mods if I let the screen idle until it gets to the part where it plays a sample match with 4 players. However, when I press a button to advance past the title screen, the loading icon will play for a brief second, freeze, then close the game and restart my system with the usual "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart" error. This happens even if I load a "modded" version where I add nothing to the game ( \saltysd\smash\ folder is empty save for the desc.txt file) However, if I boot my game as default Smash ("Press X to select trash 4"), it will load into the main menu and allow me to play normally.

I am running a N3DS XL with A9LH + Luma3DS-61684ecb on 11.0.0-33U firmware.

What could be the issue here?
So far what I've tried:
  • Reinstalling 1.1.6 Update
    • I deleted my update data and downloaded a fresh update upon launching the title. Still crashes when trying to get into the Main Menu.
  • Reinstalling SaltySD
    • I deleted \luma\code_sections\ and reinstalled a fresh copy of SaltySD (via Smash-Selector, of course). Still crashes
  • Launch default Smash 3DS
    • I've tried via deleting \luma\code_sections\ as well as simply choosing "Press X to select trash 4". Both load correctly and allow me to play.
  • Load an empty \saltysd\smash\ folder
    • Basically a mod with no mods. Still crashes
  • Load a \saltysd\smash\ folder that contains only default files
    • I put a sound subfolder with all of the default BGM. Still crashes
  • Load actual mods
    • I loaded Smash TURBO'D, and the mods DO WORK if I leave my game idle until it shows the sample match among the CPU. Still crashes on Main Menu, but it will also freeze when the sample gameplay tries to load back to the title screen (white screen fade leaves system unresponsive). However, this freeze doesn't happen with minor mods (BGM replacements), so I doubt it's relevant.
  • Disable my Bootmanager
    • I use BootAnim9 to chainload into Luma3DS, but I've properly path changed Luma's arm9loaderhax.bin. Since @shinyquagsire23 mentioned it could be a RAM issue, I tried installing a fresh Luma3DS v5.5 and updating to -61684ecb via StarUpdater (ensuring it updates arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of my SD Card like a normal A9LH payload). Still crashes.
  • Disable L2+Clock in Luma3DS settings
    • Curious if this could have been causing problems, so I tried disabling it. Still crashes.
  • Try a precompiled code.bin for USA v1.1.6
The only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling the entire game. I'm running a CIA version I ripped off and converted from my USA Cartridge (which I bought near launch). I have since lost it, so I can't test if a CARTRIDGE version of Smash will work. I could try reinstalling the game, but I honestly don't think it will solve my issue. Should I try anyways?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive. +1