[RELEASE] Smash-Selector

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Cydget, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

37.8%
  2. No

26.0%
  3. I didn't try yet

23.6%
  4. I wont try it due to the required luma3ds

12.6%
Jun 17, 2016

[RELEASE] Smash-Selector by Cydget at 4:17 AM (32,677 Views / 14 Likes) 438 replies

1. Cydget
    OP

Member Cydget GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Now, before anyone thinks that this is another attempt to recreate melee, its not. Now that that is over with let me explain what smash selector is. It is a homebrew cia that allows you to download and patch the latest compiled SaltySD, and also allows you to quickly select different folders from which to load your mods from.

All options in saltsyd that require internet are not working at the moment, you have to download the files manually.

The patching feature requires a cfw to work. On luma3ds cfw you can enable it by configure luma3ds's settings to allow code redirection by holding 'select' while booting luma3ds. Now make sure "Enable region/language emu. and ext. .code" is checked on. It might be named something slightly different now. Make sure that you are not using the nightly version of luma3ds.

After you have a cfw with a code patching option enabled, download smash selector install it using a cia installer and run it once.

If you do not wish to use luma3ds and want to use another cfw change the config file at /3ds/data/smash_selector/config.txt and change the path to when you want it to load the bin files from.

My server is currently a bit broken due to comcast, so you have to download the bin files manually.
    Download these and put the files in /luma/code_sections/ or whatever you set the default loading place to be.

Now you should have a folder called /saltysdMODS/ on the root of your sd card. create a folder called Slot_1 and place it in /saltysdMODS/ you can then put your mods in that folder. You might want to create a text file called desc.txt in each Slot_X folder with a short description in order to view witch folder is what in smash selector.You can create as many Slot_X folders as you want.

Here is a visual for those who want it. I included what a mod of captain falcon's moves might look like in the Slot_folder.

Code:
    G:\saltysdMODS
    |
    |
    +---Slot_1
    |   |   desc.txt
    |   |
    |   \---animcmd
    |       \---fighter
    |           \---captain
    |                \--game.bin
    |
    +---Slot_2
    |    \--desc.txt
    |
    +---Slot_3
    |    \--desc.txt
    |
    +---Slot_4
    |    \--desc.txt
    |
    +---Slot_5
    |    \--desc.txt
    |
    +---Slot_6
    |    \--desc.txt
    |
    \---Slot_7
          \--desc.txt

Once you have that done launch smash selector, configure the options, save the settings, and launch the game.

OLD VERSION
    IF you are looking for mods to download look at these places.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-3ds-texture-hack-thread.417509/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/continuing-smash-bros-turbod.427636/
    http://bfy.tw/9Dbv
    Troubleshooting
    The game only loads saltysd smash
    Make sure you have the default smash update installed
    SaltySD doesnt work
    Make sure you are using smash version 1.1.6 If version 1.1.7 come out it may take a day or two in order for me to update it.
    SaltySD still doesnt work
    Its possible that the latest build has an error. If multiple people have this error then I will put the last working build up.
    SaltySD crashes after title scrren
    Try backing up your save data using this tool, then delete your save data by pressing A+B+X+Y while booting smash. If this fixed your problem either start fresh, or attempt to re-inject the backup of your save data.(This is most likely not your problem but you can try just in case.)
    If nothing there works its possible that I messed up in the coding. I have only tested this with USA smash, so that might be the problem. PM me and I'll try to help.
    Currently I have this set to build the latest SaltySD every three hours (Hopefully on the hour) but this may change.
    DOWNLOAD
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6c8bcnum83hed7/o3dsSmash-Selector.zip?dl=1
    Credit

Last edited by Cydget, Dec 31, 2016

2. Zachers

Newcomer Zachers Advanced Member

United States
    Nice thread! This is very useful.

3. ih8ih8sn0w

Member ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

United States
    This might motivate me enough to setup luma as a secondary cfw, great work!

4. alonzondavis

Newcomer alonzondavis Newbie

Japan
    So would need Luma3ds cfw to use this, is rxtools obsolete or could I use that instead?

5. ih8ih8sn0w

United States
    rxtools is very outdated (and you should really consider switching to a more modern and supported cfw), but either way, it requires an unofficial build of luma3ds

olec04 likes this.
  6. alonzondavis

Newcomer alonzondavis Newbie

Japan
    Downloaded. So rename it to boot.elf and run through menuhax? or has that method to load cfw changed as well recently?

7. Yudowat

Member Yudowat That one guy that shows up occasionally

Australia
    Glad it finally has a thread! It is really a very useful tool :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Arm9LoaderHax is the latest way to load a CFW. But menuhax will work too. Follow this guide to get you set up. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

olec04 likes this.
  8. Cydget
    OP

United States
    If you dont have a9lh installed, you could try downloading and installing the latest released luma3ds using these instructions https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade and then you could copy over the files from the non official release on top of those.
    The non official release leaves out some of the files necessary for menuhax I think. So just install the non official one over the official one.
    EDIT: sniped

Last edited by Cydget, Jun 17, 2016
  9. Yudowat

Australia
    Actually he would just use the files from the zip he downloaded in place of the files the guide tells you to download.

10. LinkSoraZelda

Member LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    To clarify, this means no more Salty update CIAs?
    This basically does the same thing but using CFW's capabilities? I have each region's Smash game on my system, can I select which one loads the mods from? Also, does this mean the load times are gone or does it still parse through each file to check if it's there?

11. Yudowat

Australia
    Yep, no more CIAs, use the official update file and luma does the rest. If @Cydget would like to donate the full source code, I might be able to make a version for you that lets you load a specific region. Shitty load times are now a thing of the past as well, and new file additions are possible too.

12. Cydget
    OP

United States
    This does mean no more Salty update CIAs. As for if this will work for every version your system thats going to be a no. This determines the region to download and region to launch the game based on what Region your 3ds is from. So it will work with what ever version your 3ds is.
    EDIT: I might make an update that allows to select version, but that might take a bit of time I'll send @Yodowat the source since he wants to take a stab at it. This is not really high on my priority list, so I might just not do it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I might make an update that allows to select a region, but that might take a bit of time I'll send @Yodowat the source since he wants to take a stab at it. This is not really high on my priority list, so I might just not do it.

Last edited by Cydget, Jun 17, 2016
  13. LinkSoraZelda

Member LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That's actually great! And the region thing is fine; I wasn't sure exactly which copy of Smash it chooses. I'm American but play the Japanese version, so I'm fine.
    Luma's unofficial ROM hacking capabilities alongside management apps like this pretty much make the 3DS the best console to do rom hacks on.

14. Yudowat

Australia
    I overlooked how Smash-Selector loads a code.bin... However, you can put a code.bin for every region renamed 00040000000EDF00.bin for US, 00040000000EE000.bin for EUR and 00040000000B8B00.bin for JPN into luma/code-sections/ then use smash-selector to change what smash folder it loads (smash1, smash2...) then load the region you want from the home menu. I will work on it tonight though. Also, here is a link to the code.bin for the 3 main regions (it is an older version of saltySD however.)

https://mega.nz/#!osxgnaLZ!ZSuW2HVt_I98o3RNiEVFBB8nVavmz0B1O1M0TRi-8j8

Last edited by Yudowat, Jun 17, 2016 - Reason: forgot link :P
    LinkSoraZelda likes this.
  15. shinyquagsire23

Member shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

United States
    Just to clarify a bit, SaltySD now hooks the RF/resource file loading to add new files, and in the process polls every single file in sdmc:/saltysd/smash at startup to get file sizes for existing files and to add new files once at startup. Both hooks also poll for new files on each resource load attempt, however this now happens off the main thread and in the resource threads, so it doesn't add too much overhead.

16. Yudowat

Australia
    Last edited by Yudowat, Jun 17, 2016
    shinyquagsire23 likes this.
  17. knavesmith

Newcomer knavesmith Member

United States
    I'm probably being dumb and forgetting something really obvious...

I'm having trouble getting to the Main Menu of my CIA version of Smash 3DS. (Ripped from a USA Game Cartridge that I have since lost)

When I launch Smash, it will boot normally and reach the title screen. I can tell SaltySD was properly installed because I can see my installed mods if I let the screen idle until it gets to the part where it plays a sample match with 4 players. However, when I press a button to advance past the title screen, the loading icon will play for a brief second, freeze, then close the game and restart my system with the usual "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart" error. This happens even if I load a "modded" version where I add nothing to the game ( \saltysd\smash\ folder is empty save for the desc.txt file) However, if I boot my game as default Smash ("Press X to select trash 4"), it will load into the main menu and allow me to play normally.

I am running a N3DS XL with A9LH + Luma3DS-61684ecb on 11.0.0-33U firmware.

What could be the issue here?

18. ih8ih8sn0w

United States
    Did you install an unmodified update cia?

19. knavesmith

Newcomer knavesmith Member

United States
    Yes, I have. I even tried reinstalling the 1.1.6 update CIA then trying again but to no avail.

20. Sachi

Member Sachi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you probably corrupted your menu files in saltysd then