[Release] RestoreLFCS - Restore your LFCS data stored in memory.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Joel16, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel16
    OP

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    It wasn't necessarily about the 'like', I just didn't think it was right to 'like' (which to me comes off as advocating) someone who seems to be trying to give me a bad name, regardless of me answering questions properly. I've explained exactly what this program is doing, and I don't think I can possibly dumb-en it down further than what I've already said.

My word choice can be rather awful at times, so I may come off as an asshole, don't mind it.

Also since we're one a new page I thought I'd re-post this. I'm thinking of expanding this into something similar to recovery tool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by Joel16, Aug 10, 2017

2. mario-lucis-caelum

mario-lucis-caelum GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2016
    What if my original seed is banned? Does this unban it?

3. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    This looks to only restore your seed thats contained within that 3ds system. Bans are held within nintendos servers and would not be unbanned from anything console wise.

Joel16 and mario-lucis-caelum like this.
  4. mario-lucis-caelum

mario-lucis-caelum GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2016
    Oh thanks!

5. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    the point is if you are not currently banned you could decide to find and use public seeds until they are all eventually banned then use this to restore your original seed

Joel16 and mario-lucis-caelum like this.
  6. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    oooh! This is fantastic! Nicely done! :D

Joel16 likes this.
  7. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Because apparently this discussion is still going on for some reason, I thought I'd make a point about abstraction in libraries.

How many programmers can say that they understand, right down to the hardware level, how functions like fopen(), mkdir() printf(), recv(), and send() work? My guess is very few, and yet these are functions that every programmer uses almost every day. That's not a bad thing, it's just that these functions are abstracted away from you by the library, so you don't have to understand it. You just have to understand fopen() opens a file, mkdir() makes a directory, printf() prints to the stdout, and recv() and send() read or send to a socket.

The 3DS has a lot of commands that are similar in nature. One of these is Cfgl:DeleteCreateNANDLocalFriendCodeSeed. By taking advantage of this, you don't need to know how it's initialized or even where - those are all just implementation details that the end user can (for the most part) ignore. Are they interesting questions to ask? Yeah, definitely, the 3ds is a very interesting console and it's always good to be able to learn more about it. But is it necessary to understand the implementation details to be able to use the library? Not at all.

Last edited by astronautlevel, Aug 10, 2017
    ElyosOfTheAbyss, Joel16 and Redferne like this.
  8. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    <3

Also, awesome work on the recovery tool, it seems to be coming along really nicely - I can't wait :D

Joel16 likes this.
  9. loopsbee8

loopsbee8 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    :(
    It didn't work for me.

10. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    What do you mean didn't work? Did it throw an error? because if it failed it should. Also you do need to enable process patches under Rosalina, so that may be it as well.

Last edited by Joel16, Aug 12, 2017
  11. loopsbee8

loopsbee8 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    ok

12. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
  13. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Of course not, no more than you would need to know exactly how and where to write to your video card's memory in order to print "hello world" on the screen. Not to mention it would be nearly impossible (and take forever) to make many modern games (including 3ds games) if the game programmers had to manually keep track of the exact ram locations where each piece of game data (i.e. lives remaining, position of the player/enemies/obstacles/etc) is located. The whole point of having things like shared libraries and api calls is so that you don't have to know how everything works to that degree of detail.

Even those few 3ds programmers who work at that level wouldn't bother with something like that when the Nintendo provided Cfgl:DeleteCreateNANDLocalFriendCodeSeed works just fine and they could be doing better things with their time like improving Luma cfw, improving the speed and compatibility of twloader/ntr-bootstrap, or making more flash carts compatible with magnethax/ntrboot (among other things).

astronautlevel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.