[RELEASE] Luma Updater

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KunoichiZ, May 24, 2017.

1. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    This is Luma Updater. Current version: v2.2

Please note that this is only for sighax/boot9strap users only. A9LH users who want to continue using Luma Updater and receive Luma3DS updates need to update to boot9strap by follow Plailect's guide for updating to boot9strap. Luma3DS has dropped support for non-boot9strap users.

If you have Luma3DS v7.1 and wish to update to v8.1+, you will need to update boot9strap first.

What does it do?
    * Luma Updater will update the boot.firm file from Luma3DS on your SD card and your CTRNAND, if you followed Plailect's guide. You can choose to either install the latest stable version or the latest hourly version (only on Luma Updater v2.1.1 or below).
    * It will back up your current boot.firm on your SD card (and CTRNAND when allowed to) to boot.firm.bak.
    * It will restore your old backup of boot.firm on your SD card root (and CTRNAND when allowed to).
    * It will block all updates from Luma3DS v7.1 as that only supports boot9strap v1.0/v1.1. Luma3DS v8.0+ only supports boot9strap v1.2+.

What may or may not be coming in future releases:
    * Fix auto-update feature and downloading Luma feature.

Notes:
    * If you get stuck on the loading configuration file or get an error message such as "Unknown or wrong config value", either delete the lumaupdater.cfg file on the root of your SD card (if it exists), change the payload type in the first line of lumaupdater.cfg to payload type = SIGHAX or sighax, or download this and place it on the root of your SD card.

Changelog:
    v2.2

v2.1.2

v2.1.1

v2.1

v2.0

v1.5

Download link (latest release): https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/releases/latest
    Source code: https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/

Credits:
    * @Hamcha for the original code.
    * @Aurora Wright and co. for Luma3DS.
    * @astronautlevel for the nightlies/hourlies site and for helping fix the issue with them in LU.
    * @Plailect for including Luma Updater in his guide.
    * Pirater12 on GitHub/@Kartik for the CTRNAND writing code and help with disabling the hourly option.
    * @Steveice10 for his buildtools's template.rsf for the things needed to make CTRNAND writing work.
    * chenzw95 on GitHub for the "No internet when loading app crash" fix and lots of other code used in the app.
    * @arc13 for his help on changing the boot animation.
    * @PabloMK7 for the custom boot animation.
    * @gnmmarechal for their help on removing the extra character next to the commit number.
    * @Majickhat55 & @sks316 for testing.
    * and anyone else I may have forgotten.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Sep 7, 2017

2. sora10pls

sora10pls Official GBAtemp Trashâ„¢

Oct 25, 2015
    Canada
    Thanks for continuing to maintain the project for us B9S users! Makes our lives a whole lot easier.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  3. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Hey, you're welcome! I had some free time, and thought, why not help the 3DS community now that B9S is officially out. :)

sora10pls likes this.
  4. RacsoSakuraba

RacsoSakuraba GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    You have plans to add autoupdate?. Great work!!!

5. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    What do you mean by this?

6. RacsoSakuraba

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    As BootNTR Selector, to be connected verifies updates and if there is updated first.

7. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    "Checking for updated updater" tells me 2.0 is the latest. It doesn't update itself.

8. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    It has the code to download and install the update, but it's not working for some reason, which is strange because I haven't touched the updater stuff (all I did was change Hamcha's link to mine).
    Thanks for letting me know. Here we go again.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, May 24, 2017
    RacsoSakuraba likes this.
  9. RacsoSakuraba

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    Oh I see, thanks for the answer

10. PetitMagique

PetitMagique GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    So does this automatically update CTRNAND too? When I start it, it says payload path "/boot.firm" which I'm assuming is SD root directory. Is this because I have a copy of the 'boot.firm' on my SD root?

11. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Yes it does automatically update the boot.firm on CTRNAND too. /boot.firm can be taken as the root of CTRNAND and the root of the SD card.

Also: Please ignore the v2.1z update! This is for testing purposes.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, May 24, 2017
  12. RacsoSakuraba

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    Now that you mention it, I just tried and it only updates the boot.firm in the SD

13. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    No it updates both. I just tested it.

RacsoSakuraba likes this.
  14. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    If we use "payload path = luma.firm" for example, will the .firm inside the CTRNAND also be called "luma.firm" or it is only applied to the .firm in the SD?

15. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    The SD only, iirc. But you would have to rename it on the SD root (I think), and I'm not sure what renaming has.

I'm sorry if my answers to questions are vague or anything, or if I'm not entirely sure of my answers. I'm working on trying to fix the auto updater and my brain's starting to hurt.

RacsoSakuraba and Arubaro like this.
  16. RacsoSakuraba

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    I have only the boot.firm in CTRNAND XD that's why I say it hehe and luck fixing the autoupdate (Y)

17. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    No problem, take your time

18. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Ugh, I can't figure out why autoupdate is not working. I'm comparing Hamcha's code to mine, and I've made no changes to the updating code, other than where to download the latest update. If someone with more knowledge on this wants to help me, I'd be down for that.

19. rickpower

rickpower GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2016
    New Zealand
    world i moving too fast, i used reinand from a year and couple months back updated to luma not THE ARLH9 thing because i have 64 card full of games and dont want to mess things up and now i wont get luma updates because this lesostrap 'thing' 3ds still runnning 11.3 i dont even know if its safe to update

20. sora10pls

sora10pls Official GBAtemp Trashâ„¢

Oct 25, 2015
    Canada
    http://3ds.guide/ is your best friend