Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, what if we would take a Linux distro like Arch Linux and replaced the kernel with this one? Would it work?
heh, there are ways you could get it to run on here, I believe... but currently, it's just gotten really really early SD card support, which is read only... so probably not atm

Reactions: ihaveahax

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Linux core run on the same speed on both OLD and NEW 3DS?
I think I haven't seen difference as of now.
tbh, not sure... however, it's most likely configurable, or will be at some point... currently, work is focused on getting the other 2 cores on n3ds online and running, after that it'll most likely be proper SD card access and NAND access

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does the Linux core run on the same speed on both OLD and NEW 3DS?
I think I haven't seen difference as of now.
Linux core runs pretty much the same on both versions, because it uses CLI. It takes so few of RAM and clock speed that you can't even notice the difference between both. But when the GUI will be released, or even desktop environment, then we would probably see drastical difference between both.

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Linux core runs pretty much the same on both versions, because it uses CLI. It takes so few of RAM and clock speed that you can't even notice the difference between both. But when the GUI will be released, or even desktop environment, then we would probably see drastical difference between both.
I don't think weston is comand line

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can start weston, but by default it uses CLI. And I don't think that weston is GUI or DE, it's just a demo.

More than a demo it's the Wayland's reference compositor. There are people using Weston as their DE for daily usage, it's blazing fast and not shitty like the X server.

merauder75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echoing what Syzmon mentioned earlier, how hard would it be to build a distro? I know that both Arch and Debian have armv6 images that can be built, would I need to modify the loader to work with those?. Right now I'm building a version of filesystem that has OpenTyrian, since I tried porting it using the 3DS SDL2 port and that...didn't really work.

By the way, awesome work with all of this.

Last edited by merauder75,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉