ROM Hack [Release] Kuriimu - A general purpose game translation toolkit for authors of fan translations.

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Hey there gbatemp,

Kuriimu is a suite of programs that I designed to be flexible tools for the purposes of fan translating games, apps, etc... and the flexibility is attained through plugins! (DLL files developed by programmers.)

Want to talk about it?
If you would like to reach out to me to discuss Kuriimu and/or writing plugins for it, I can be reached most easily on the Fan Translators Inc. discord (which I run) here:

Hop into the #kuriimu channel and hit me up.

Kuriimu - A text editor.

Kukkii - An image converter.

Karameru - An archive manager.

All Releases

NOTE: Windows is being dumb. To run Kuriimu, you have to unblock the .rar before you extract it for the program to run. Right click > Properties on the .rar and click Unblock on the General tab.

Current release:

Kuriimu v1.0.7
Features
  • Kukkii now supports extended file properties through the UI. The SMDH image plugin is currently the only plugin supporting this functionality.
Plugins
  • Improved JTEX image plugin compatibility. (Code review)
  • Corrected an identification bug in the Nintendo DS banner plugin.
  • Corrected build output for MODS, MOFLEX, and VXDF video plugins.
  • Added a new archive plugin for the BFP format.
  • Improved XI image plugin compatibility. (Bugfix)
  • Added a new image plugin for the IMGA format.
  • Improved XFSA archive plugin compatibility. (Bugfix)
  • Added a new text plugin for the lang.bin format from Tingle Balloon.
  • Improved AIF image plugin compatibility. (New image formats supported.)
  • Added a new text plugin for the XS format (Level 5). (Load only)
  • Added a new archive plugin for the AMB format.
Changes
  • Improved Cetera image functionality with the option to disable Z-Ordering.
Please note that this release corrects a DLL location bug where you might find CeteraDS.dll and/or LibMobiclip.dll in the plugins directory. It is highly recommended that you delete everything (except for the bin directory) and extract a fresh copy of all files from v1.0.7.

Plugins Currently in Development

Completed Plugins

Issue Template:
Please follow the template below when submitting issues to our issue tracker.
Code:
Console: <>
Format extension(s): <>
Original game name: <>

First 8 byte of file(s):
Extension - [<bytes in hex>] - [<bytes in ASCII>]

More details?:
<>

Sample files (if possible):
<links>

Please note the sample files text above says <links>. DO NOT attach files directly to the issue as every one of them is copy written material.

Keep in Mind:
These tools are aimed at users with a basic understanding of romhacking, they do not and will not ever help you disassemble game executables.
Games use different engines with different file formats, just because one game is working doesn't mean another is.
We only add support for new file formats as people bring them to us. We are not actively seeking out new formats. If you are waiting for your game to be supported without ever talking to us, you'll be waiting a long time.
If you have questions, please be as specific as possible. We can't read your mind.

Development Team:
@IcySon55 - Original author, UI programming, design and direction, plugin author.
@Neobeo - Code cleanup, enhancements, performance improvements, design and plugin author.
@onepiecefreak - Plugin author extraordinaire.

Current Contributors:
@CakeLancelot - Plugin author.
@Ryuzaki_MrL - Plugin author.
@PeterPaladin - Plugin author.
@Uwabami - Plugin author.

Special Thanks:
@xdaniel - Scarlet
@Gericom - EveryFileExplorer

Current Translation Projects Using Kuriimu:
There may be others I am unaware of.

Let the craziness begin/continue!
Hey there gbatemp,

Kuriimu is a suite of programs that I designed to be flexible tools for the purposes of fan translating games, apps, etc... and the flexibility is attained through plugins! (DLL files developed by programmers.)

Want to talk about it?
If you would like to reach out to me to discuss Kuriimu and/or writing plugins for it, I can be reached most easily on the Fan Translators Inc. discord (which I run) here:

Hop into the #kuriimu channel and hit me up.

Kuriimu - A text editor.

Kukkii - An image converter.

Karameru - An archive manager.

All Releases

NOTE: Windows is being dumb. To run Kuriimu, you have to unblock the .rar before you extract it for the program to run. Right click > Properties on the .rar and click Unblock on the General tab.

Current release:

Kuriimu v1.0.7
Features
  • Kukkii now supports extended file properties through the UI. The SMDH image plugin is currently the only plugin supporting this functionality.
Plugins
  • Improved JTEX image plugin compatibility. (Code review)
  • Corrected an identification bug in the Nintendo DS banner plugin.
  • Corrected build output for MODS, MOFLEX, and VXDF video plugins.
  • Added a new archive plugin for the BFP format.
  • Improved XI image plugin compatibility. (Bugfix)
  • Added a new image plugin for the IMGA format.
  • Improved XFSA archive plugin compatibility. (Bugfix)
  • Added a new text plugin for the lang.bin format from Tingle Balloon.
  • Improved AIF image plugin compatibility. (New image formats supported.)
  • Added a new text plugin for the XS format (Level 5). (Load only)
  • Added a new archive plugin for the AMB format.
Changes
  • Improved Cetera image functionality with the option to disable Z-Ordering.
Please note that this release corrects a DLL location bug where you might find CeteraDS.dll and/or LibMobiclip.dll in the plugins directory. It is highly recommended that you delete everything (except for the bin directory) and extract a fresh copy of all files from v1.0.7.

Plugins Currently in Development

Completed Plugins

Issue Template:
Please follow the template below when submitting issues to our issue tracker.
Code:
Console: <>
Format extension(s): <>
Original game name: <>

First 8 byte of file(s):
Extension - [<bytes in hex>] - [<bytes in ASCII>]

More details?:
<>

Sample files (if possible):
<links>

Please note the sample files text above says <links>. DO NOT attach files directly to the issue as every one of them is copy written material.

Keep in Mind:
These tools are aimed at users with a basic understanding of romhacking, they do not and will not ever help you disassemble game executables.
Games use different engines with different file formats, just because one game is working doesn't mean another is.
We only add support for new file formats as people bring them to us. We are not actively seeking out new formats. If you are waiting for your game to be supported without ever talking to us, you'll be waiting a long time.
If you have questions, please be as specific as possible. We can't read your mind.

Development Team:
@IcySon55 - Original author, UI programming, design and direction, plugin author.
@Neobeo - Code cleanup, enhancements, performance improvements, design and plugin author.
@onepiecefreak - Plugin author extraordinaire.

Current Contributors:
@CakeLancelot - Plugin author.
@Ryuzaki_MrL - Plugin author.
@PeterPaladin - Plugin author.
@Uwabami - Plugin author.

Special Thanks:
@xdaniel - Scarlet
@Gericom - EveryFileExplorer

Current Translation Projects Using Kuriimu:
There may be others I am unaware of.

Let the craziness begin/continue!

Excuse me hi i'm pretty new to the program and how to use it and all of that. But i was wondering how do you open the game files onto this program?? i wanna know because I would like to try and see if i can make my own english patch on a game called 'The Snack World: TreJarers' for the 3ds it came out this year. And someone luckily released a cia game for people can download and play the game. BUT since its in japanese and I don't understand the language at all (which is why i want to make it into english the game. To try my best to translate the game) plus the fact that no one hasn't released an english translation for the game at all nor an english patch of it. I would love to do it myself and try to test it out but I don't know how to open the game at all on the program ;_;" please tell me how to use this..if anyone can. Yes i'm a newb at this but i wish to learn.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Excuse me hi i'm pretty new to the program and how to use it and all of that. But i was wondering how do you open the game files onto this program?? i wanna know because I would like to try and see if i can make my own english patch on a game called 'The Snack World: TreJarers' for the 3ds it came out this year. And someone luckily released a cia game for people can download and play the game. BUT since its in japanese and I don't understand the language at all (which is why i want to make it into english the game. To try my best to translate the game) plus the fact that no one hasn't released an english translation for the game at all nor an english patch of it. I would love to do it myself and try to test it out but I don't know how to open the game at all on the program ;_;" please tell me how to use this..if anyone can. Yes i'm a newb at this but i wish to learn.

You would extract the ROMFS and open the ".fa" file with Karameru, find the text which I believe is in ".cfg.bin" files and then use Kuriimu to edit and eventually re-import them, though I test out .cfg.bin saving the other day with Yokai Watch and it wasn't working correctly, at best you could get started.

Best to extract everything from the ".fa" file and also use a Batch Export from Kukkii to get all the images that need editing

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

Pixel-Pie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would extract the ROMFS and open the ".fa" file with Karameru, find the text which I believe is in ".cfg.bin" files and then use Kuriimu to edit and eventually re-import them, though I test out .cfg.bin saving the other day with Yokai Watch and it wasn't working correctly, at best you could get started.

Best to extract everything from the ".fa" file and also use a Batch Export from Kukkii to get all the images that need editing
How Do You Re-Import Them?

ivoyko

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks than this progress being a amazing tool... i think i downloaded the first one and only was three butttons or something... now have pics preview wow!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I had to check if the OP was Finnish just because "Kuuriimu" is "Moonrunes" in Finnish, just without one U in the word lol.
Nice name, and great to have this kind of tool for fan translators, some projects lack tools or coders and reverse engineers for translating.

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there tempers!

There's so much in this release that I'll just let the change-long speak for itself. XD

Kuriimu v1.0.8
Features
  • Kuriimu can now apply labels, notes, and screenshots (soon) to individual entries using the new Lot feature.
    • Open any supported text file and then click the + beside "Lot" to create the necessary metadata file.
    • Once the lot is created, you can begin using the label and note features for that file.
    • Screenshots will be coming in the next release.
  • Kuriimu can now display the text beside each entry as a preview. Use the toggle button on the entry toolbar.
  • Select All using Ctrl+A now works in the Original textbox.
  • Karameru can now Batch Archive multiple files at once. Expected directory structure is created after a Batch Extract.
  • You can now close an open archive in Karameru via File > Close or the Ctrl+W shortcut.
Plugins
  • Improved all archive plugins with a common enhancement.
  • Improved SRTUX archive plugin with save functionality.
  • Improved Tingle Balloon text plugin compatibility.
  • Improved CGFX archive plugin with save functionality.
  • Added a new image plugin for the COMP format.
  • Improved CHNK image plugin compatibility.
  • Improved MTARC archive plugin compatibility.
  • Improved CTPK image plugin compatibility.
  • Added a new text plugin for the T2B format.
  • Improved AMB archive plugin compatibility.
  • Added a new game plugin for Yokai Watch. (@DarkSynopsis)
  • Improved XS text plugin with save functionality.
  • Improved GMD text plugin compatibility.
  • Added a new archive plugin for the GK2-ARC1&2 format.
  • Added a new image plugin for the NCGR format family.
  • Added a new image plugin for the SPR3 format.
  • Improved CTXB image plugin compatibility.
  • Added a new image plugin for the CTX format.
  • Added a new archive plugin for the ENC format. (Load only)
  • Added a new archive plugin for Touch Detective archives.
  • Added a new archive plugin for the CDAR format.
  • Improved KUP text plugin compatibility for source files with CRLF linebreaks.
Changes
  • Batch operation speed in all applications has been greatly increased.
  • Corrected handling of Ctrl+A in the Text textbox to prevent the beep from happening.

m0nm0npalam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Wee! We have the same interest! I have no knowledge yet regarding rom hacking/translation but i am interested on learning it. Maybe i can help on this project? :D

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

lwyx2017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Does your NCGR support automatically match NCLR/NSCR/NCER?
NCGR I remember need matching 2 additional files To display the correct image.

Last edited by lwyx2017,

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, since the error message implies that a core part of our BinaryReader library isn't working anymore, it could mean that Mono and wine doesn't have the appropriate support for our used version of .NET.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, since the error message implies that a core part of our BinaryReader library isn't working anymore, it could mean that Mono and wine doesn't have the appropriate support for our used version of .NET.

Well, can't you target linux in visual studio now? Or if that doesn't work, could you in the next release build it with .NET Core as that is compatible with linux.

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, can't you target linux in visual studio now? Or if that doesn't work, could you in the next release build it with .NET Core as that is compatible with linux.
We can't target .NET Core as it doesn't support WinForms which the Kuriimu suite is built in.

Also, what is the latest version that does work in Wine? I don't recall making any special changes for v1.0.8 in Kontract.

Reactions: DarthDub

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can't target .NET Core as it doesn't support WinForms which the Kuriimu suite is built in.

Also, what is the latest version that does work in Wine? I don't recall making any special changes for v1.0.8 in Kontract.

1.0.5 is the latest that all work. 1.0.8 kukki and karameru work fine, but kuriimu does not.

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wee! We have the same interest! I have no knowledge yet regarding rom hacking/translation but i am interested on learning it. Maybe i can help on this project? :D

; A ; Ah that would grateful to do..but I have no idea on how to translate games yet. I'm still new to this entire program and translation. ; A ;" I wish I could really help you out and be some sort of help. But alas I am no use of help :( you could try someone else who has good knowledge and hopefully get the game english patched or somewhat patched and see if anyone else is willing to help you out as well.

As for me..i'll just let it be. I'm gonna try and see if i can work the program if not than i'll just stick to waiting in the line like the rest v.v for an english patch or translation.

Also sorry for responding late.

Xeron21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi!

Great work!

I want to ask question when in Kukkii will be added save option to GZF (Majora Mask font). Is there any plans for adding this feature?

Last edited by Xeron21,

lwyx2017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It would yes. But it isn't completed. It only takes in NCGR and NCLR for now and throw it together.
NSCR and NCER come later.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to export the NCER for Rune Factory 1 to 3.
Before Export Rune Factory 4 Bcmdl/Bctex Textures you tools it’ s very useful.
Sorry, my English is Bad:P

Last edited by lwyx2017,

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm trying to edit the text in Tomodachi Life for fun, and I'm having issues.
I saw a post earlier about this in this thread, but I can't really tell if it ever got solved, so I thought i'd go ahead and ask.
The files in message are .bins, but when I open them they say invalid. Are the actual text files somewhere else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1