[Release] Kuriimu - A general purpose game translation toolkit for authors of fan translations.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by IcySon55, Dec 8, 2016.

1. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hey there gbatemp,

Kuriimu is a suite of programs that I designed to be flexible tools for the purposes of fan translating games, apps, etc... and the flexibility is attained through plugins! (DLL files developed by programmers.)

Want to talk about it?
    If you would like to reach out to me to discuss Kuriimu and/or writing plugins for it, I can be reached most easily on the Fan Translators Inc. discord (which I run) here:

[​IMG]

Hop into the #kuriimu channel and hit me up.

Kuriimu - A text editor.
    [​IMG]

Kukkii - An image converter.
    [​IMG]

Karameru - An archive manager.
    [​IMG]

All Releases

NOTE: Windows is being dumb. To run Kuriimu, you have to unblock the .rar before you extract it for the program to run. Right click > Properties on the .rar and click Unblock on the General tab.

Current release:

Kuriimu v1.0.5
    Features
    • Implemented Batch Extract in Karameru with Batch Archive to follow at some point.
    • You can now copy the image in Kukkii to the clipboard via a right click menu.
    • You can now display a customizable border around images in Kukkii.
    • Added support for Big Endian NW4C files.
    Plugins
    • Greatly improved MT Framework texture compatibility in image_mt. (Make sure to delete the old image_tex.dll if you don't do a clean install.)
    • Added a brand new archive manager plugin for MT Framework archives. Both Little and Big Endian files are supported.
    • Drastically improved compatibility for the CHNKTEX plugin. Now supports 4bpp, 2bpp, multi-TXIM and RLE compressed files. (Plugin still incomplete and still no save.)
    • Improved BCLIM/BFLIM compatibility as well as adding support for Big Endian files. (WiiU image formats not yet supported.)
    • Potentially fixed a bug in image_stex in regards to LA88 support. (Plugin needs review.)
    Changes
    • When extracting the top-level directory with Karameru, the extension is now part of the folder name that is generated.
    • Directory replace in Karameru will now try to find the directory name in the last used directory and select it in the folder dialog if it exists.
    • Open Raw Image in Kukkii now uses the settings from the main window in its preview block.
    • Slightly improved draw time and quality of thumbnails in Kukkii. Thumbnails that are smaller than the thumbnail view are no longer blurry.
    Note: For those in need of BCLIM and/or BFLIM support in v1.0.5, there is a known issue with saving. I've added a patch to the release which corrects the issue for v1.0.5 users. Of course the fix will be rolled into v1.0.6 whenever that happens.

Plugins Currently in Development

Completed Plugins

Keep in Mind:
    These tools are aimed at users with a basic understanding of romhacking, they do not and will not ever help you disassemble game executables.
    Games use different engines with different file formats, just because one game is working doesn't mean another is.
    We only add support for new file formats as people bring them to us. We are not actively seeking out new formats. If you are waiting for your game to be supported without ever talking to us, you'll be waiting a long time.
    If you have questions, please be as specific as possible. We can't read your mind.

Development Team:
    @IcySon55 - Original author, UI programming, design and direction, plugin author.
    @Neobeo - Code cleanup, enhancements, performance improvements, design and plugin author.
    @onepiecefreak - Plugin author extraordinaire.

Current Contributors:
    @CakeLancelot - Plugin author.
    @Ryuzaki_MrL - Plugin author.
    @PeterPaladin - Plugin author.

Special Thanks:
    @xdaniel - Scarlet
    @Gericom - EveryFileExplorer

Current Translation Projects Using Kuriimu:
    There may be others I am unaware of.

Let the craziness begin/continue!

Last edited by IcySon55, Jul 10, 2017

2. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    Neat! Can't wait to see what people do with this!

3. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    You are now my best friend. Very nice

4. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Awesome, curious to try out the above feature but program gives me an error after I try click on Editor/Extensions/Director :(

[​IMG]

Edit:
    Sorted, seems each .dll was blocked had to unblock them.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Dec 8, 2016
  5. justinbug2

justinbug2 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    how do u save whats from the director

6. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    We need now a thread with plugins request

7. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    You take the <pointer address="" results and then using your favorite hex editor, jump to those addresses.
    Then you eyeball where you think the pointer table starts and ends and add that to the Fenceposts Pointer Table list.

Right, forgot to mention that Windows sometimes blocks the DLLs. I'll have to write a lot more error handling into the code. Guess it's on the todo list.

Last edited by IcySon55, Dec 14, 2016
  8. RandomKid150

RandomKid150 Translator

Nov 4, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    How do you unblock them?

9. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Open the properties for each file and click Unblock. I'll have to see about getting this issue resolved. So that they don't get blocked all the time.

If you want to permanently stop Windows from blocking files from the internet, here are the steps:
    1. Windows key + R > gpedit.msc> OK
    2. User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager
    3. Enable: Do not preserve zone information in file attachments
    WARNING: If you do this, Windows will not block ANY files you download from the net. In fact it will not write any zone information at all and will have no idea where any file originated. This can be a security risk if your computer is shared with people that are not all that tech savvy.

Last edited by IcySon55, Dec 16, 2016
    RandomKid150 likes this.
  10. RandomKid150

RandomKid150 Translator

Nov 4, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    How can I open some .bin files? I can't seem to figure it out. Maybe you could make a tutorial? I have some files on this page if you can try and open them. :)

11. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    I'll have some time tonight to look at these bin files. If the format is simple, then Fenceposts can probably deal with it. Otherwise you'd need to write a file plugin.

RandomKid150 likes this.
  12. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hey there tempers!

I've been working away on this for the past week and I've now reached a new milestone! The game handler plugin for Rocket Slime 3DS can now generate previews!

[​IMG]

Those of you with a keen eye may have noticed that the translation has removed the second half of the content on this entry. This is because the previewer is incomplete and is unable to render another entire dialog at the moment. So I left the second out on purpose to avoid text overflowing.

Last edited by IcySon55, Dec 22, 2016
  13. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    Wow, I'm gonna try this when I got home. I'm messing up with some games lately

14. SoyAlexPop

SoyAlexPop GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    Mexico
    I hope this helps making translations so much easier/faster. Thank you for the tool.

15. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hello again tempers!

I've been working away on Kuriimu since my last update and the following additions were made:
    • file_msbt - An MSBT plugin based on the same code from MSBT Editor Reloaded. Currently, none of the XMSBT or other tools have been ported as I'm still working out how to handle file plugin tools in Kuriimu.
    • file_gmml - A GMML plugin written from scratch for the text file format found in Maple Story 3DS. This plugin came a little late and the team on the project will only be using Kuriimu for any future updates to the translation.
    • It is now possible to select whether the entry list is sorted or displayed in file order with a simple toolbar button. The setting is remembered separately for each file plugin.
    On the version 1.0.0 front, things are looking better, but changes are still being made to the KuriimuContract which breaks plugins if they're not updated.

Likely changes that will break plugin compatibility and need to be figured out before 1.0.0:
    1. File plugin tools like XMSBT, BG4, and UMSBT.
    2. File plugin property additions like telling the editor which new-line characters are used by the file. (Currently hard-coded.)

Last edited by IcySon55, Dec 30, 2016
    pikatsu, Hiccup, hippy dave and 2 others like this.
  16. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    Nice. Will you add support of new file types in the future?

17. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hey there tempers!

Here's a small update on recent Kuriimu developments:
    • A game handler was started for Great Detective Pikachu as you can see:
    [​IMG]
    • file_jmsg - A JMSG plugin for the text file format used by One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X.
    • ext_director - A simple (and incomplete) pointer finding utility. Director used to be part of Kuriimu itself but has been moved to being an extension to segregate the code and make Kuriimu itself less complex.
    • runext.exe - This small executable allows users to launch an extension plugin by itself without having Kuriimu running at all.
      • Starting it as is will present users with an extension select menu.
      • Passing a DLL name to it on the command line will launch that extension immediately.
    Other than many code clean-ups and improvements, that's about it for this update.

Last edited by IcySon55, Jan 19, 2017
    DarkSynopsis and pikatsu like this.
  18. IcySon55
    OP

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    I might be adding support for new formats as they come up and as I have time. You are of course able to create new plugins yourself to add support for new formats!

One such format would be the BTXT format that I just added.
    • file_btxt - An incomplete BTXT plugin for the text file format used by Digimon Universe Appli Monsters. (Read-Only)
    This plugin is available in the most recent build of the beta.

Last edited by IcySon55, Jan 19, 2017
    DarkSynopsis likes this.
  19. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Awesome to see new formats getting supported :) I really should try this on Tales of the Abyss code.bin files to see if I could get the text from the English version of the game ported to the Japanese version, might finally get a proper Undub where the skits are voiced, crazy they didn't dub the skits in the West.

20. super.bean

super.bean GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu
    I tried editing One Piece Super Grand Battle X! but some .jmsg files upon opening said "None of the installed plugins were able to open this file" though it can open other .jmsg files just fine.
    Any solutions?

Edit--

Now I can't open the same file i was editing a while ago, same .jmsg file

Last edited by super.bean, Jan 21, 2017