• Likes 105

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
d0k3, speaking of OTP, if bootrom dump method is presented at today's 33C3 by the haxbros and dumped by someone in the community, do you think eventually the nand keyslot generation from OTP will be reversed and implement a way to explore in godmode9 a couple made of an OTP dump+NAND ?

I didn't fully understand this. Can you word it differently?

I see that GodMode9 can now create a batch of CIAs from titles installed on the SD card. This is awesome news, but I tried to do this myself and I just don't know how to do it. I'm guessing that you're meant to select the tmd files from the titles that you want to convert to CIA, but the problem is that you can't seem to mark multiple files for selection if they reside in different folders. If you mark a tmd file and then back out of the folder to find another tmd from a different title, then the marked file gets cleared. So what's the correct way to do it?

Search function is the key (R+A). Also: read the readme, goddammit ;).

Reactions: keyra

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I didn't fully understand this. Can you word it differently?
well, from my understanding, the nand keyslots are initialized using the OTP (which is not decryptable publicly, since the decryption mechanism is locked behind the bootrom, and bootrom dump would allow to reverse the OTP decryption), which could, in the future, once boot9 is dumped publicly, allow to reverse how the nand keyslots are extracted from otp, and as such, allow to generate the nand keyslots if a valid nand dump and otp from the same console as the nand dump is given. that should in theory allow to explore the nand dump of any 3ds handheld if the OTP is known for said console. if you see a flaw in my understanding, please do tell me.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, from my understanding, the nand keyslots are initialized using the OTP (which is not decryptable publicly, since the decryption mechanism is locked behind the bootrom, and bootrom dump would allow to reverse the OTP decryption), which could, in the future, once boot9 is dumped publicly, allow to reverse how the nand keyslots are extracted from otp, and as such, allow to generate the nand keyslots if a valid nand dump and otp from the same console as the nand dump is given. that should in theory allow to explore the nand dump of any 3ds handheld if the OTP is known for said console. if you see a flaw in my understanding, please do tell me.
Okay, got it. I think there is some kind of algorithm in there that initializes the NAND keyslots from something unique and hardware specific (NAND CID would be a candidate). We don't know if that assumption is right, and we don't know what the NAND keyslots would be based on. Once we got bootrom, in theory, we should be able to browse any NAND dump, from any console, anywhere. No need for bulky XORpads anymore, we'd just need a few bytes of unique data. Maybe we'd even be able to bruteforce this unique data once the key generating algorithm is known, but that is already in the realm of speculation.

Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Windows does not format SD cards according to official recommendations. Not doing this may hinder performance. In fact, EmuNAND9 is the only tool I know that uses 64k clusters and does a proper SD format.
Is GodMode9 using the same procedure as EmuNAND9, for best performance optimization? Or should one stick to EmuNAND for formatting?
How does the formatting compare to the one of guiformat which is recommended in Plailect's guide?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GM9 does not allow you to setup a GW type EmuNAND (RedNAND being the superior type anyways, and sorry, GW users, all 5 of you that remain ;)). Other than that, GM9 is superior to E9 and it also gives you the choice of cluster size (make an informed decision or choose auto).

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Is it safe to delete title.db from CTRNAND? Does it get recreated just like on the SD card? Alternatively, I've dumped my title.db. Are there any tools to edit it?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
FBI can install/uninstall tickets from title.db on CTRNAND.
I have no means of running any sort of homebrew on the firmware in question for reasons that are a long story and the subject of another thread. My only hope is to remove the offending entry offline using some kind of tool and then putting it back with Godmode9.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have no means of running any sort of homebrew on the firmware in question for reasons that are a long story and the subject of another thread. My only hope is to remove the offending entry offline using some kind of tool and then putting it back with Godmode9.
Well, I'd like to hear the long story. Point us to that thread if you make one. Editing title.db is out of question. We don't understand the format. FBI is only able to do some minor edits to the ticket.db (= not the title.db) because it uses system internal functionality.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well, I'd like to hear the long story. Point us to that thread if you make one. Editing title.db is out of question. We don't understand the format. FBI is only able to do some minor edits to the ticket.db (= not the title.db) because it uses system internal functionality.
This is the thread. I already knew ticket.db is signed by the console, was hoping it's not the same case with title.db. Dang.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Can I use godmode9 to restore a gateway emunand to a sysnand as stated here :

https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead of doing the first four steps in this section.

Reason is I already followed the guide to install luma+a9lh BUT my current sysnand is 4.x and I wish to use the gateway created 10.x emunand to be used as the sysnand. I assume hourglass9 supports gateway emunands right? But seeing that godmode9 also deletes the emunand after moving it to sysnand, can I restore the emunand backup created by hourglass9 after that?

Last edited by Bloodlust,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But seeing that godmode9 also deletes the emunand after moving it to sysnand, can I restore the emunand backup created by hourglass9 after that?

You can restore GW EmuNAND backups with anything. GM9 also won't autodelete the EmuNAND after moving it, Idk where this information is from. If you use GM9, make sure to use the safe restore option (A button on the backup file).

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GodMode9 v1.0.0

Everyone, new release, and, as always, a big one. By now, GM9 can do almost everything that D9 can, and most of it faster or better (also refer to this list). The list below contains only major changes, in fact there is even more in the total 85 commits since the last release.

This is new:
  • A9LH preserving NAND restore (A button on NAND dumps)
  • Injecting and dumping the virtual GBA save (Virtual SysNAND drive)
  • Virtual Gamecart drive (C:, allows access to CTR/TWL/NTR) carts
  • Bonus drive, utilizing the unused space on NAND (home menu)
  • NCCH/NCSD/CIA encryption (in A button menu)
  • BOSS file decryption/encryption/verification (in A button menu)
  • Health & Safety injection for CXIs (also inside CIAs)
  • Decrypting / verifying / building CIA from NUS/CDN downloads (check the readme)
  • Mounting ticket.db files (for access to tickets)
  • Calculating and fixing CMACs for basically all files that have it
  • Generating XORpads from ncchinfo.bin files
  • Launching ARM9 payloads (thanks @Wolfvak)
  • Embedding essential backups into NAND files
  • Handling Multi EmuNAND setups (check the home menu)
  • ETA displayed for large / long operations
  • Completely revised and improved permission system (check the readme)
  • Changed drive order, to group SysNAND / EmuNAND stuff
  • Countless minor improvements and bug fixes
If you happen to stumble upon a bug, please open an issue on GitHub. Thanks for testing und using GodMode9! Also, SafeMode9 users, take note that SafeMode9's capabilities have increased. You're still kept safe, read the paragraph about write permissions in the readme for more info.

shafty710

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
GodMode9 v1.0.0

Everyone, new release, and, as always, a big one. By now, GM9 can do almost everything that D9 can, and most of it faster or better (also refer to this list). The list below contains only major changes, in fact there is even more in the total 85 commits since the last release.

This is new:
  • A9LH preserving NAND restore (A button on NAND dumps)
  • Injecting and dumping the virtual GBA save (Virtual SysNAND drive)
  • Virtual Gamecart drive (C:, allows access to CTR/TWL/NTR) carts
  • Bonus drive, utilizing the unused space on NAND (home menu)
  • NCCH/NCSD/CIA encryption (in A button menu)
  • BOSS file decryption/encryption/verification (in A button menu)
  • Health & Safety injection for CXIs (also inside CIAs)
  • Decrypting / verifying / building CIA from NUS/CDN downloads (check the readme)
  • Mounting ticket.db files (for access to tickets)
  • Calculating and fixing CMACs for basically all files that have it
  • Generating XORpads from ncchinfo.bin files
  • Launching ARM9 payloads (thanks @Wolfvak)
  • Embedding essential backups into NAND files
  • Handling Multi EmuNAND setups (check the home menu)
  • ETA displayed for large / long operations
  • Completely revised and improved permission system (check the readme)
  • Changed drive order, to group SysNAND / EmuNAND stuff
  • Countless minor improvements and bug fixes
If you happen to stumble upon a bug, please open an issue on GitHub. Thanks for testing und using GodMode9! Also, SafeMode9 users, take note that SafeMode9's capabilities have increased. You're still kept safe, read the paragraph about write permissions in the readme for more info.

Great job on the new release man. I'd like to follow the 3ds.guide tutorial and replace all of the D9 material with GM9, but I'm a bit scared to brick something :/ Any advice?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great job on the new release man. I'd like to follow the 3ds.guide tutorial and replace all of the D9 material with GM9, but I'm a bit scared to brick something :/ Any advice?
Use SafeMode9 or don't ignore the warnings. Read the paragraph on write permissions first.

EDIT: in general, read the readme. Use CTRL+F to find stuff quickly.

Last edited by d0k3,

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
@d0k3 thanks for the big update!!!
just wnt to ask will it be possible to build a godmode9 with enable/disable write to nand feature... so that building another one (safemode9)... protection will be integrated to godmode9...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse