Homebrew [Release] GenHax - Monster Hunter Generations secondary exploit

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To install the exploit, download the latest version from the release page linked bellow, extract it to the root of your SD card and run it from the Homebrew Launcher.

***Also, when a new system version is released, you need to re-run the installer BEFORE doing the system update and select the NEW system version when asked.***

***As of genhax v2.0.0 you no longer need to re-install before doing a system update. Hold the "R" button when you trigger the exploit to start the internal updater. A screen should then display that will allow you to pick your system version and region.***

The MHX JPN v.1.3.0 update patches the exploit. To use genhax with the JPN version of the game you will need to uninstall the game update and use genhax v2.0.1 (or newer). I'm sure the USA/EUR versions will get this patch as well so same goes for those when they're released.

To run the exploit just go to the offline Hunters Hub and try posting an event quest or challenge quest, depending on which you selected when installing.

To uninstall the exploit, select the "Download" option in the game's main menu and re-download the first challenge or event quest (depending on which you selected while installing). Keep this in mind when using the "Download" option normally so that you don't accidentally uninstall the exploit.

There are some notable limitations for this exploit:
  • It only works on New 3DS systems. This is because game uses extended memory mode on Old 3DS systems.
  • It must be installed on the system you want to use it on. This is because the exploit uses the game's ExtData which is stored on the SD card, not the game cart.
  • You will no longer be able to post certain quests in the Hunters Hub. If you install the exploit as an event quest, you wont be able to post event quests. If you install the exploit as a challenge quest, you wont be able to post challenge quests. But you should still be able to join event/challenge quests that other players post.

Source code for the exploit can be found here:
https://github.com/svanheulen/genhax

Source code for the installer can be found here:
https://github.com/svanheulen/genhax_installer

A compiled version of the installer with the exploit files can be found here:
https://github.com/svanheulen/genhax_installer/releases

Special Thanks:
Kiranico, plutoo, yellows8, imanoob, AuroraWright, smealum, Gelex
~ everyone else that answered my random questions on #3dsdev and #Cakey

Last edited by moghedien,

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you run the exploit? Do you just open the save data?
Wow yeah, sorry, not sure why I didn't think to explain that part. Derp.
You just go to the offline Hunters Hub and try posting an event quest or challenge quest, depending on which you selected when installing.

Edit: added that to the main post :)

Last edited by moghedien,

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow yeah, sorry, not sure why I didn't think to explain that part. Derp.
You just go to the offline Hunters Hub and try posting an event quest or challenge quest, depending on which you selected when installing.
I see. Great work!

TheMynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Omfg you genius. Thx so much you saved me so much trouble

EDIT : Nvm still can't run ctr-httpwn ...

Last edited by TheMynx,

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone elaborate more on how this works?

You need a 3ds that already has homebrew working to install Genhax that'll only work on that particular 3ds? For what purpose does this hax serve?

Apologies if this sounds stupid.

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone elaborate more on how this works?

You need a 3ds that already has homebrew working to install Genhax that'll only work on that particular 3ds? For what purpose does this hax serve?

Apologies if this sounds stupid.
Yeah, sadly it's more restrictive then other secondary exploits since it's not saved to the game cart. But it could still be useful for people with menuhax/browserhax on an older firmware that want to update to a firmware that doesn't support those any more.

Reactions: justln

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, sadly it's more restrictive then other secondary exploits since it's not saved to the game cart. But it could still be useful for people with menuhax/browserhax on an older firmware that want to update to a firmware that doesn't support those any more.
Thanks for the clarification. It's still nice to see exploits for a game that I play.

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the clarification. It's still nice to see exploits for a game that I play.
Technically it can be turned into a primary exploit for the JPN version only (since there's no signature checks for DLC in the JPN version). It would require implementing code in the exploit payload to download otherapp.bin (currently that's done with the installer) and you would need the current encryption key (which changes every ~48hrs) to encrypt the quest so you can proxy it into the game.

moghedien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice but mhg is too valuable to me and i don't have a n3ds lol :grog::nds:
Well the nice thing is that the only functionality you lose is the ability to post DLC event or challenge quests. But you can still join them if another player posts it :)

If you already have Homebrew... then what's the use of Secondary Exploits? :mellow:
For instance, if you want to update but your current *hax is broken on the newest version. Or if you can borrow a primary exploit game from a friend, install a secondary and then return your friend's game.

Reactions: Gizametalman

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
If you already have Homebrew... then what's the use of Secondary Exploits? :mellow:

some people have more the one 3ds, some on lower FW with working primary exploit(menuhax), and use can that to install a Secondary Exploits for other 3ds that on higher FWs(11.0+) to a game cart like OoT to bypass the PASLR

Last edited by Ryupower,
Reactions: Gizametalman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.