Trying to avoid getting cancer
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I made a Gameboy emulator using GX2 graphics. Thanks to the 145 people that downloaded the initial version. The emulator has now been updated from Version 1337 to Version 9000. Here's the readme -
gacubeboy emulator with IOSU hack Version 9000 by brienj

I created this emulator in less than 8 hours of actual programming. The Gameboy ROM compatibility isn't the best and it has no sound, but was made to prove that even if you half-heartedly attempt homebrew, you CAN make something. IOSU IS NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE OR USE HOMEBREW!!!

Setup:
Put the gacubeboy.elf file in the sd:/wiiu/apps/gacubeboy/ folder of your SD card. Put all of your Gameboy roms in the sd:/roms/gb/ folder of the SD card with the .gb extension. Sub-folders are acceptable, but not needed. Keep the number of ROM files less than 200 for best results.

Instructions:
Load a ROM and press the Play button. If you select the play button with a WiiMote, that WiiMote will be used as the controller, with sideways orientation. The A and B buttons will be swapped with the 1 and 2 buttons if you play with a WiiMote. Once a game is started the Play button becomes a Pause button. If the game stops playing, that means it crashed, and either the ROM isn't supported or something crazy just happened. Just load a different ROM and try again. Not every game is supported. Plus button is the Start button and Minus button is the Select button.

New in Version 9000, press L on the Gamepad, or A on the WiiMote, to toggle Full Screen.

Planned to be added:
Nothing, the engine is going to be a port next time. I don't have time to build a Gameboy engine from scratch and want to get a better version out soon with better ROM support and sound.

Credits:
-dimok for all of his HBL code which makes it simple to build homebrew

Changelog:
Version 1337 - Basic ROM support, no sound
Version 9000 - Added Full Screen key press

And some pictures -

gacubeboy.png kirby.png pokemon.png tetris.png zelda.png

And a video -

Attachments

• gacubeboy.7z
    808.9 KB · Views: 830
Last edited by brienj,
D

Deleted User

You know, you don't have to stuff this "YOU DON'T NEED IOSU TO CREATE HOMEBREW" down our throats because everybody knows that. People want it because of USB loading, NAND stuff, people know that homebrew can be created without that.
And if you're going to release something, don't make it clickbaity because that's how you make enemies. Really nice release but some people will dislike it just because you slapped "WITH IOSU HACK LOLZ HAHA" in the title. If your going to do that shit than move it to eof.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You know, you don't have to stuff this "YOU DON'T NEED IOSU TO CREATE HOMEBREW" down our throats because everybody knows that. People want it because of USB loading, NAND stuff, people know that homebrew can be created without that.
And if you're going to release something, don't make it clickbaity because that's how you make enemies. Really nice release but some people will dislike it just because you slapped "WITH IOSU HACK LOLZ HAHA" in the title. If your going to do that shit than move it to eof.
Did somebody piss in your Cheerios today? And why should it be EOF? It's a legit homebrew emulator. How many have you released for the Wii U?

Last edited by brienj,
D

Deleted User

Did somebody piss in your Cheerios today? And why should it be EOF? It's a legit homebrew emulator. How many have you released for the Wii U?
Never said it SHOULD be in EOF. You just didn't have to include "WITH IOSU HACK" in it. I don't have a particular like for clickbait, even if it wasn't meant to be.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the reference to the gacube emeleter.
I also like the point being made about IOSU and homebrew.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Once I find a good engine to use. I made this one from scratch on my own. LOL
Wow, really? How?!? I'm just starting with C++ and making a Game Boy emulator in less than 8 hours seems miraculous.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
So in case anyone decided to download the file, don't. There's a trojan in it.

Welp it may have been a false positive but weird that that would happen for something like this.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
So in case anyone decided to download the file, don't. There's a trojan in it.

Welp it may have been a false positive but weird that that would happen for something like this.
Well, it does have an IOSU exploit in it, so it's probably the same reason the other exploits got detected.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"