Homebrew [Release] fastboot3DS - open source bootloader / chainloader

PowerBall253

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, new release, now with 100% less bugs. Grab your copy from here:

fastboot3ds v1.0 stable

@PowerBall253 - you'll get another hint, one that may be already too much. The place where you have to enter "that code" is the credits section.

Just installed FB3DS to FIRM1 too.... *cough* *cough*

Last edited by PowerBall253,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, yesterday I was trying for a while and it happened a couple of times in a row after the first, today I tried it and nothing, it does not freeze. It is an O3DS with FB3DS 1.0 Stable. It happened right on the only FB3DS screen, I tried to move the cursor in the FB3DS menu but it did not move but as I said, suddenly it does not happen when I wanted to reproduce it today.

Okay, still trying to get behind this. Are you using a Micro SD adapter? These can cause trouble. Does the freeze (when it happens) happen right away, or after you did something else? There should actually be no accesses to the SD card when not required, so a crash inside the menu should not happen.

RacsoSakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Okay, still trying to get behind this. Are you using a Micro SD adapter? These can cause trouble. Does the freeze (when it happens) happen right away, or after you did something else? There should actually be no accesses to the SD card when not required, so a crash inside the menu should not happen.

Well, I tried to do it again and it did not happen again, maybe it was one of a million as it happens from time to time, and in fact I use an adapter even though it is guaranteed to make good contact. If it has not happened again, it could be said that it was by coincidence

Maxmeas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
fastboot3DS is a bootloader for the 3DS console, intended to be installed to the FIRM0 partition. [...] If you are afraid of a brick and / or just want to try fastboot3DS without a proper installation, you can also chainload it via your existing bootloader. If you have boot9strap installed, you'd just rename fastboot3DS.firmto boot.firmand copy it to the SD card root.

So fastboot3DS wont make any changes to the NAND if just placed on the SD, even if configured? Will the config files also stay on the SD or will they be written to NAND?

LG

#btw. thank you for all the great work for the 3DS community (GodMode9, Decrypt9,.... :wub::wub::wub:)

PowerBall253

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So fastboot3DS wont make any changes to the NAND if just placed on the SD, even if configured? Will the config files also stay on the SD or will they be written to NAND?

LG

#btw. thank you for all the great work for the 3DS community (GodMode9, Decrypt9,.... :wub::wub::wub:)
If you use it as boot.firm along with any bootloader like B9S, it won't modify nand, unless used as CTRNAND boot.firm (nand:/boot.fim).

Reactions: d0k3

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
does faatboot 3DS allow for booting from nand?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
thanks but still dont think that answers question, can this work without an sd card?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes it works without an SD card, but it will prefer the SD card as location for the config and will even copy an existing NAND config there.

PowerBall253

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what are the advantages of FB3DS compared to B9S?
Copied from d0k3's post:
Actually, you won't get any functionality that wasn't available before in some way or another, but stuff may be more comfortable to use. As you may know, there is already boot9strap, which is a simple bootloader that will chainload boot.firm from either the SD card or the CTRNAND, and you can also install GodMode9 as bootloader.

Compared to GodMode9, you get more customizability (boot slots, assigning button combos to boot slots, selecting any .firm as your default), and also screen-off boots, which make your 3DS look unhacked. Compared to boot9strap, you get more customizability and integrated tools for NAND backups and restores. fastboot3DS can't dump the bootroms, though, which boot9strap can. fastboot3DS can be especially helpful if you're loading a CFW that has no integrated chainloader (bascially all but Luma 3DS), or if you want a multiboot setup.
Also : "If you are afraid of a brick", does that mean there's a chance of bricking?
You have the same chance of a brick as if you were installing B9S, Its not almost anything.

Namesnipe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copied from d0k3's post:
Actually, you won't get any functionality that wasn't available before in some way or another, but stuff may be more comfortable to use. As you may know, there is already boot9strap, which is a simple bootloader that will chainload boot.firm from either the SD card or the CTRNAND, and you can also install GodMode9 as bootloader.

Compared to GodMode9, you get more customizability (boot slots, assigning button combos to boot slots, selecting any .firm as your default), and also screen-off boots, which make your 3DS look unhacked. Compared to boot9strap, you get more customizability and integrated tools for NAND backups and restores. fastboot3DS can't dump the bootroms, though, which boot9strap can. fastboot3DS can be especially helpful if you're loading a CFW that has no integrated chainloader (bascially all but Luma 3DS), or if you want a multiboot setup.

You have the same chance of a brick as if you were installing B9S, Its not almost anything.
Alright, ty. I'm gonna assume I can assign CFW to boot slots from what I read on previous posts? If so, time to use ReiSix and Luma.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    sounds like normal sibilings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hate @BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we planned on only having 1 cat, but my mom found the younger one as a kitten in our hay
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hate the conspiracy theorist rabbit man (not saying his name, because again, speak of the devil, and he shall appear)
    bunny man go brr
    what's the conspiracy?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    quite a few i believe
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm going to bed now, see yall tomorrow
    good night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    9/11 is a religion
    +1
    I might head to bed too, i've been awake for too long now
    that message goes crazy
    the attack on pearl harbor was a myth
    alright, I'll take my leave
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty Night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Are you a alcoholic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maaaaybe. And it would be An Alcoholic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would be many alcoholics
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I almost bought a nice rifle/shotgun safe today, but the dumbass selling it lost the key and combination, like how can you advertise selling a safe without a key or combo. Wasted my time going to look at it.
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    @K3Nv2, i realy need to get good at bga work, i want to know if that 8gb or ram adds any real benefits.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Seeing someone wearing those black or white gloves while messing with game devices, always bugs me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah just let blood on the device
    @BigOnYa i just don't wear gloves. they break
    out my eczema.
    +1
    that why i can't work in a deli, i looked like a burn victim when i wirked at publix in the deli.
    wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist: that why i can't work in a deli, i looked like a burn victim when i wirked at publix in the deli.