Homebrew [Release] DSi Key Grabber - Get the DSi Common Key Legally!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here the XORpad is analogic to the code that process the answers to the illegal file. the only way to get the illegal file from the software is with user's action (as the XORpad can't be reversed without one of the files or some information about it).

All this jumping through hoops is ridiculous. If the common key is illegal, then an encrypted common key is also illegal.

This thread can claim that by forcing the user to enter an encryption key is legal, but it doesn't make it true. If that was all it took then pirate movie sites would do the same thing.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: realWinterMute

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this jumping through hoops is ridiculous. If the common key is illegal, then an encrypted common key is also illegal.

This thread can claim that by forcing the user to enter an encryption key is legal, but it doesn't make it true. If that was all it took then pirate movie sites would do the same thing.
Hashes are not illegal. I'm not really into cryptology, but hashes aren't the encrypted contents of the file (I might be wrong) and it is only illegal to have the full common key. Even one digit off is still legal. This doesn't include the encrypted common key, just a hash... so it seems like you never really looked into how this worked and are just making up accusations. But whatever. Obviously if this was illegal the gbatemp staff would have removed it long ago, so you can call it illegal, but it isnt.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously if this was illegal the gbatemp staff would have removed it long ago, so you can call it illegal, but it isnt.

Or the staff believe that it's legal but it isn't.

@Echo XX XX XX %a%6 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX> dsikey.txt
@Rem I know what you're thinking --- this is borderline illegal.
@Rem Luckilly, it's totally not. Because it relies on user input, it only indirectly adds the hex.
@Rem See how (wayyy above) it does this is you type a selection <2? That could be 1, 0, -1, etc. but it's STRONGLY HINTED that
@Rem the number is, well, you know (; because of the brackets.
@Rem I never ACTUALLY told anyone to press a specific button to do something, but the way it's set up,
@Rem you would hope that the user would figure it out, lol.
@Rem It's called a loophole, kk?
@Rem It is perfectly fine to post the hex in GBATemp, so this is just a precautionary legal measure.
@Rem Thanks for checking out the code. No worries, it's safe, like version 1.0
@Rem gtg now, stay safe.

Copyright law is pretty irrelevant, because you can't claim copyright protection on something that trivial & it's likely that Nintendo just randomly generated the number.

The DMCA is relevant because it allows you to bypass copy protection measures. You LOL your way through a legal disclaimer, which completely blows any argument you have out of the water.

Last edited by smf,

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or the staff believe that it's legal but it isn't.

@Echo XX XX XX %a%6 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX> dsikey.txt
@Rem I know what you're thinking --- this is borderline illegal.
@Rem Luckilly, it's totally not. Because it relies on user input, it only indirectly adds the hex.
@Rem See how (wayyy above) it does this is you type a selection <2? That could be 1, 0, -1, etc. but it's STRONGLY HINTED that
@Rem the number is, well, you know (; because of the brackets.
@Rem I never ACTUALLY told anyone to press a specific button to do something, but the way it's set up,
@Rem you would hope that the user would figure it out, lol.
@Rem It's called a loophole, kk?
@Rem It is perfectly fine to post the hex in GBATemp, so this is just a precautionary legal measure.
@Rem Thanks for checking out the code. No worries, it's safe, like version 1.0
@Rem gtg now, stay safe.

Copyright law is pretty irrelevant, because you can't claim copyright protection on something that trivial & it's likely that Nintendo just randomly generated the number.

The DMCA is relevant because it allows you to bypass copy protection measures. You LOL your way through a legal disclaimer, which completely blows any argument you have out of the water.
Legal disclaimer? There was none of the sort included in the first place other than that the program is legal. You're a very insecure person, you don't need to freak out so much about a batch program.
meme-kermit-drinking-tea-but-thats-none-of-business.png

If you think it's illegal, that's fine. I can't control what you think.

Abequinn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hashes are not illegal. I'm not really into cryptology, but hashes aren't the encrypted contents of the file (I might be wrong) and it is only illegal to have the full common key. Even one digit off is still legal. This doesn't include the encrypted common key, just a hash... so it seems like you never really looked into how this worked and are just making up accusations. But whatever. Obviously if this was illegal the gbatemp staff would have removed it long ago, so you can call it illegal, but it isnt.
smf just literally ignored what you said

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't ignore it, I proved I'd looked at the code by posting it. I explained why it's not legal in any country where the DMCA or EUCD is valid plus other countries that are implementing similar laws (which eventually will be anyone in the WTO).

The only real argument would be if the common key wasn't even a violation of the DMCA/EUCD, but then jumping through hoops is still pointless.

I broke the speed limit today, nobody stopped me. It must be legal right?

Alot of rom websites used to say that it was legal as long as you deleted them after 24 hours, that was a lie too.

You either care about the law, or you don't. If you care then don't post anything that can produce the key, if you don't care then provide the key. There are no loopholes. The I'm not telling you which key to press but here is a clue, would not stand up in court.

Last edited by smf,

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ignore it, I proved I'd looked at the code by posting it. I explained why it's not legal in any country where the DMCA or EUCD is valid plus other countries that are implementing similar laws (which eventually will be anyone in the WTO).

The only real argument would be if the common key wasn't even a violation of the DMCA/EUCD, but then jumping through hoops is still pointless.

I broke the speed limit today, nobody stopped me. It must be legal right?

Alot of rom websites used to say that it was legal as long as you deleted them after 24 hours, that was a lie too.

You either care about the law, or you don't. If you care then don't post anything that can produce the key, if you don't care then provide the key. There are no loopholes. The I'm not telling you which key to press but here is a clue, would not stand up in court.
If there were no loopholes, MakeKeyBin.exe for wii would not exist.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If there were no loopholes, MakeKeyBin.exe for wii would not exist.

Or it's using the same flawed logic. The common key is bundled with ctrtool. By your logic, if it were illegal then it wouldn't be on there. At best distributing the common key is not illegal (you can't copyright something as trivial as a number) at worst being involved in the distribution is illegal, even if you chop it up into parts (like if you have all the parts to make a bomb, you're still in trouble even if they aren't assembled).

https://github.com/profi200/Project...e8f43d4eec51394eca2/makerom/pki/prod_legacy.h

Last edited by smf,

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or it's using the same flawed logic. The common key is bundled with ctrtool. By your logic, if it were illegal then it wouldn't be on there. At best distributing the common key is not illegal (you can't copyright something as trivial as a number) at worst being involved in the distribution is illegal, even if you chop it up into parts (like if you have all the parts to make a bomb, you're still in trouble even if they aren't assembled).

https://github.com/profi200/Project...e8f43d4eec51394eca2/makerom/pki/prod_legacy.h
In this make-believe bomb situation, I would have some parts to a bomb, and have a list with the rest of the parts. Since not all the items from the bomb are there, and it's only telling you what parts you might need indirectly, then you don't have an illegal thing. That's the situation with this program. Part of the number is included, but the entire key is not included in the program does not check using the key whether you made the right key or not. That happens separately using a very legal hash to compare to the text outputted. I will be happy to oblige and removing anything that links to the program as soon as anything that links to MakeKeyBin is removed completely. Since that most likely never happen, you'll have to live with the fact that there's a program you don't like in the internet. Such a shame. My condolences. Unless you have a further point of argument, there's no reason to continue this line of discussion. Good day to you.

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
In this make-believe bomb situation, I would have some parts to a bomb, and have a list with the rest of the parts. Since not all the items from the bomb are there, and it's only telling you what parts you might need indirectly, then you don't have an illegal thing.

Have you not been watching the news? Having some parts for a bomb and a list for the rest of the parts will get you locked up under anti-terrorist legislation pretty much everywhere.

By the same token, disseminating the digital keys for encryption intended to protect intellectual property is illegal regardless of how you disguise what you're doing.

Last edited by realWinterMute,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
I whipped up something that will give you the DSi common key, so no more going on illegal sites to download it!
THIS PROGRAM IS LEGAL, BUT THE KEY IT GENERATES MAY NOT BE.
UPDATE: The key can now be generated without the need to answer any questions directly!
And did I mention that the program is legal?

It's fairly straightforward--
1. Open the .bat file
2. Follow the instructions
3. Done. You will now have dsikey.bin

:download: Version 2 Download (Direct)
:arrow:DSi Downgrade Guide

enjoy!:)
If there is an issue with the legality of the program (pretty sure there isn't) let me know.

v2 is now live!
Let me know if there are any bugs.
...the website is borked. Guess you lost the domain name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.