Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
erm... have i done a stupid mistake?

Tried so far:

- Copying the updated cake_108.rar to my sd-root while backing up "old" content
- bootet Emunand 9.5.0-23 and tried the online Update <-- Nope
- bootet Emunand 9.5.0.23 (after reinjecting it) and tried 10.3.0-28E Update with Sysupdate <-- nope
- replaced the "old" firmware.bin and cetk with the ones from the opening post after sysupdate <-- still nope

Last edited by Seelbreaker,

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"Starting config from scratch" literally means all the options are cleared. Select your patches again. (And that previous post was a stupid post I wanted to delete)
ah ok, nothing wild - but maybe you could add that line of enabling the patches? of course that disabled emunand boot and signature checks....

But on the other hand - it didn't helped :/ Tried to boot for 5 Times now.

But just in case - the online update should worke right? because then i just gonna reinject my 9.5 emunand back and try to update it with the online update again.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok, nothing wild - but maybe you could add that line of enabling the patches? of course that disabled emunand boot and signature checks....

But on the other hand - it didn't helped :/ Tried to boot for 5 Times now.

But just in case - the online update should worke right? because then i just gonna reinject my 9.5 emunand back and try to update it with the online update again.
Should work fine as long as you do it from emuNAND

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Should work fine as long as you do it from emuNAND
Alright buuuut

i'm such an idiot wow.... i tried to install with sysupdater the old 3ds 10.3.0-28....

i've just used the right files for the n3ds with sysupdate and voila it worked.

i will do it again to crosscheck if this works.

Edit: is 10.3.0-28 the latest firmware?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mid-kid might the firmkey.bin be different for newer firmwares? Meaning a different cetk will be needed, and since the old firmkey.bin is still there it won't boot?

EDIT: never mind, looks like the issue was solved

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@mid-kid might the firmkey.bin be different for newer firmwares? Meaning a different cetk will be needed, and since the old firmkey.bin is still there it won't boot?
well i didn't changed the firmkey.bin...

but that would explain why i had to redownload the firmware.bin and cetk.

Edit: currently reinjecting the 9.5 emunand and then i gonna try to do the online update with the "new" firmware.bin and cetk.

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, so the online update worked but i had to boot 4 times untill it finally loaded :)

I will now copy the "old" firmware.bin and cetk from before the cake-update back and try to do it again.

But so far i think the problem lies in the old firmware.bin and cetk which i had.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so the online update worked but i had to boot 4 times untill it finally loaded :)

I will now copy the "old" firmware.bin and cetk from before the cake-update back and try to do it again.

But so far i think the problem lies in the old firmware.bin and cetk which i had.
You don't really need the cetk anymore (it's needed to generate firmkey.bin and is uneeded afterwards) and yes the 9.5 firmware.bin won't boot the 9.6+ emuNAND this is a known thing

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah - the wrong firmware.bin and the fact that the patches have been disabled (which didn't let emunand boot) are 2 errors which i encountered, so i think those 2 options should be mentioned when such update-questions are happening.

And sorry for taking both of your times @dark_samus3 and @mid-kid.

After installing cake-cfw somewhere near december 2015 i haven't been loking around for the emunand stuff, just saw it today and tried it :/ Therefore the common knowledge about the 9.5 firmware.bin and the 9.6+ firmware.bin was missing (and i don't even know why we do need those files).

And thanks at this point for your cake-cfw! It is really easy to use - in my case much easier than rxtools.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems to be happening a lot to n3ds users lately. I have no idea what is causing it.
If anyone who had this problem has been able to solve it, could you please state how? (I'll add it to the FAQ)

The booting to blackscreen happens to me pretty frequently as well, however after a reboot or two, I can get it to eventually take (not sure how much that helps or not).

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah - the wrong firmware.bin and the fact that the patches have been disabled (which didn't let emunand boot) are 2 errors which i encountered, so i think those 2 options should be mentioned when such update-questions are happening.

And sorry for taking both of your times @dark_samus3 and @mid-kid.

After installing cake-cfw somewhere near december 2015 i haven't been loking around for the emunand stuff, just saw it today and tried it :/ Therefore the common knowledge about the 9.5 firmware.bin and the 9.6+ firmware.bin was missing (and i don't even know why we do need those files).

And thanks at this point for your cake-cfw! It is really easy to use - in my case much easier than rxtools.
Think of it like this, the system applications (home menu, etc.) and services check which firmware version (which is what firmware.bin is :) ) and if it's not the right version it simply refuses to start. So, using a 9.5 firmware.bin means that 9.6+ applications say "firmware version doesn't match the version I want, so I will refuse to launch" all that is needed is the proper firmware and both the firmware and applications and services all are happy and the system boots... Could we remove these checks? Absolutely. Would it be practical to do so? Probably not... Spoofing the firmware version in the firmware.bin might be though but why do that when you can get the right firmware anyways?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of it like this, the system applications (home menu, etc.) and services check which firmware version (which is what firmware.bin is :) ) and if it's not the right version it simply refuses to start. So, using a 9.5 firmware.bin means that 9.6+ applications say "firmware version doesn't match the version I want, so I will refuse to launch" all that is needed is the proper firmware and both the firmware and applications and services all are happy and the system boots... Could we remove these checks? Absolutely. Would it be practical to do so? Probably not... Spoofing the firmware version in the firmware.bin might be though but why do that when you can get the right firmware anyways?
May be a good thing because of 10.4's ASLR like thing.

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I retried with CakesFW 108.

My settings:
n3DS sysnand 9.2E
Emunand 10.5E
Linked nands

Patches:
Enable Emunand
Disable signature checks

Configuration:
Enable autoboot

It does not work... Just a black screen, I never reached the system menu. No problem with ReiNand... I don't understand what's happening.

I have the same issue after updating to 10.5. Can boot into Sysnand fine but if I try to boot to Cakes just black screen.

I'm surprised that this works with ReiNand, but what is likely happening is a result of your NANDs being linked.

Because your NANDs are linked, they share theme data. Since the theme data is where menuhax lives, both NANDs will attempt to autoboot menuhax when they start up. This causes a loop where it tries to load CFW, then load menuhax, then crash.

Possible solutions:

1) Unlink your NANDs via tinyFormat. Arguably the best solution, and the one that everyone and their mother will tell you to do.

2) Manually boot cakes every time from the Homebrew Menu. Yuck.

3) Use this modified version of CHMM2 and follow the steps to dissociate the themes (and thus avoid menuhax loops) between emuNAND and sysNAND. The idea is that since sysNAND doesn't have theme shuffle, it will ignore loaded theme shuffles. However, emuNAND will not ignore it, thus causing it to load the shuffled theme instead of the menuhax theme.

You might be able to use this to set up themehax in your emuNAND separate and distinct from menuhax in sysNAND, but I only recently set this up, so I haven't tried this.

I hope this helps!

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that this works with ReiNand, but what is likely happening is a result of your NANDs being linked.

Because your NANDs are linked, they share theme data. Since the theme data is where menuhax lives, both NANDs will attempt to autoboot menuhax when they start up. This causes a loop where it tries to load CFW, then load menuhax, then crash.

Possible solutions:

1) Unlink your NANDs via tinyFormat. Arguably the best solution, and the one that everyone and their mother will tell you to do.

2) Manually boot cakes every time from the Homebrew Menu. Yuck.

3) Use this modified version of CHMM2 and follow the steps to dissociate the themes (and thus avoid menuhax loops) between emuNAND and sysNAND. The idea is that since sysNAND doesn't have theme shuffle, it will ignore loaded theme shuffles. However, emuNAND will not ignore it, thus causing it to load the shuffled theme instead of the menuhax theme.

You might be able to use this to set up themehax in your emuNAND separate and distinct from menuhax in sysNAND, but I only recently set this up, so I haven't tried this.

I hope this helps!
He already got his problem fixed, the emuNAND patch got disabled so it was just looping sysNAND menuhax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality