Reinstalling Windows 10 Without Losing $#!+

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a journey to reinstall Windows 10 on my Steam Machine. I'm trying my best to NOT lose my programs and files. I'd say that 80% of my game library is on my secondary (4TB) drive. The only games on my Windows (2TB) HDD are those few Steam games that refuse to install directly to my "G:Games" drive. Right now I'm backing up my profile folder and both Program Files folders from C to G.

Next I'll unplug G from the SATA port on my PC to ensure no accidental loss of everything on that drive. Now here comes the part I'm worried about. I have seen in many YouTube videos show that, when you reinstall Win 10, using a USB stick within Win 10, there is an option to save "files and apps". Will I have to reinstall ALL of my programs or Will Windows leave my program files folders alone and just mess with the Windows folder during the install?

Also for those of you wondering why I'm going through all of this trouble. My Steam Machine will perfectly play stuff but every time there is a Windows update, the PC goes through the entire process of trying to install only for it to fail. I've about had it with that and I want to get this thing in shape before the October update comes out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by LightyKD,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you select the option to keep files and apps, that means all of your programs and files will be preserved without you have to reinstall anything.

Out of curiosity, which version of Windows 10 are you currently using? If you haven't already installed the Creators Update, I would create a bootable thumb drive using Microsoft's official tool and manually install the Creators Update as a matter of troubleshooting.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you select the option to keep files and apps, that means all of your programs and files will be preserved without you have to reinstall anything.

Out of curiosity, which version of Windows 10 are you currently using? If you haven't already installed the Creators Update, I would create a bootable thumb drive using Microsoft's official tool and manually install the Creators Update as a matter of troubleshooting.

The PC has had issues with updates since fall of last year. It was so bad that for all of this time I was using "Wushowhide.cab" to block all updates. The stick I plan to use is: Build 15063.540 Made on 08/2017. I figured that should be recent enough to get the kinks out.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PC has had issues with updates since fall of last year. It was so bad that for all of this time I was using "Wushowhide.cab" to block all updates. The stick I plan to use is: Build 15063.540 Made on 08/2017. I figured that should be recent enough to get the kinks out.
If you're not already on build 15063 (Creators Update), then updating to 15063 using that USB stick is exactly what you should do. Out of curiosity, how did you make the USB stick?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUCCESS!!

OR at least so far so good.

I'm now on "Win 10 Evaluation copy 16275." I think this is the "insider's Preview of this year's fall update. I managed to move Steam back from G to C and it loaded just fine (granted I'll have to add icons to all of my non steam games again lol). I loaded Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tembo the Badass Elephant and both played like normal. Only time will tell in regards to how much "damage" I'll have to repair but for now all signs are looking good! Lacius, thanks for your help!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUCCESS!!

I'm now on "Win 10 Evaluation copy 16275." I think this is the "insider's Preview of this year's fall update. I managed to move Steam back from G to C and it loaded just fine (granted I'll have to add icons to all of my non steam games again lol). I loaded Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tembo the Badass Elephant and both played like normal. Only time will tell in regards to how much "damage" I'll have to repair but for now all signs are looking good! Lacius, thanks for your help!
Is there a reason you installed build 16275?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SUCCESS!!

For future reference, you could have used the "reset" option built into Windows itself, it's effectively a factory reset keeping all your data. I haven't yet come across a case where the "reset" option wasn't good enough and I actually needed to reinstall from disc.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a reason you installed build 16275?

No reason. It's just what I had available.

For future reference, you could have used the "reset" option built into Windows itself, it's effectively a factory reset keeping all your data. I haven't yet come across a case where the "reset" option wasn't good enough and I actually needed to reinstall from disc.

In my case I couldn't even get to the Win 10 settings. My PC would automatically try to restart upon getting to the desktop and when I break the restart by force opening the task manager, it would break my access to the task bar and the settings menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse