Hacking ReiNand CFW vs CakesFW (for N3DS)

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone, I haven't found a sufficiently good answer to the above question, so I'm asking you (and yup, despite being an active member I have not yet set up an EmuNAND or a CFW on my N3DS :)). So, this is what I want:
  • Stability (this is prefered over an abundance of features when in doubt)
  • EmuNAND support
  • Firmlaunch (so that I can play newer titles)
  • Region Free & eShop spoof would be nice (I know there's an additional tool to do that, though).
  • A convenient entry point that would at best not use any additional cartridges (although Ninjhax is completely okay).
  • Active development (nice to have)
Maybe you'd even say PastaCFW is the best choice (although development for that seems to have stopped). Let me know what you think!

Last edited by d0k3,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone, I haven't found a sufficiently good answer to the above question, so I'm asking you (and yup, despite being an active member I have not yet set up an EmuNAND or a CFW on my N3DS :)). So, this is what I want:
  • Stability (this is prefered over an abundance of features when in doubt)
  • EmuNAND support
  • Firmlaunch (so that I can play newer titles)
  • Region Free & eShop spoof would be nice (I know there's an additional tool to do that, though).
  • A convenient entry point that would at best not use any additional cartridges (although Ninjhax is completely okay).
  • Active development (nice to have)
Maybe you'd even say PastaCFW is the best choice (although development for that seems to have stopped). Let me know what you think!

Point one, they're both probably on par with each other in terms of stability i believe.
Both have emunand support (obviously only up to 9.5 on n3ds)
Both have firmlaunch (this is a given with emunand. Both also have the option to boot into sysnand, i believe Reinand boots into sysnand with firmlaunch off though (if i remember correctly), whereas CakesFW has the option to have it on or off and boot into sysnand.
Neither have region free or eshop spoof built in, proper(ish? i guess) region free can easily be handled by NTR 3.0 and eshop spoof can be handled by Free-Multi Patcher (both in cia format).
Both have multiple entry points, MSET, Ninjhax (and probably others now with the new browserhax/themehax).
Active development, i think CakesFW has it here as i believe the goal of Reinand is to keep it simple so not much going on in development side of things with that. Whereas CakesFW is a little more customisable with more options in the works (i think) but not bloated to hell and back (and broken) like RxTools...

That being said, i mostly used a modified version of Reinand myself everyday, (disabled start button press needed at splash screen, changed location of where things are stored/loaded from) in tandem with NTR 3.0 and Free-Multi Patcher cia's.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Shadowtrance has pretty much covered everything, but I personally stick with Reinand, due to its simplicity and minimalism. If I need the extra fancy features, I layer NTR 3.0 on top of it, but I don't find myself taking too many screenshots or pumping up clock speeds on N3DS. :P

If you decide to go with Reinand, I suggest using the autoboot 3dsx files I created and use it with themehax (and use ctrbootmanager b02 for best boot speed) for easy cold booting.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: d0k3

Magic Lubricant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point one, they're both probably on par with each other in terms of stability i believe.
Both have firmlaunch (this is a given with emunand. Both also have the option to boot into sysnand, i believe Reinand boots into sysnand with firmlaunch off though (if i remember correctly), whereas CakesFW has the option to have it on or off and boot into sysnand.
Neither have region free or eshop spoof built in, proper(ish? i guess) region free can easily be handled by NTR 3.0 and eshop spoof can be handled by Free-Multi Patcher (both in cia format).
Both have multiple entry points, MSET, Ninjhax (and probably others now with the new browserhax/themehax).
Active development, i think CakesFW has it here as i believe the goal of Reinand is to keep it simple so not much going on in development side of things with that. Whereas CakesFW is a little more customisable with more options in the works (i think) but not bloated to hell and back (and broken) like RxTools...

That being said, i mostly used a modified version of Reinand myself everyday, (disabled start button press needed at splash screen, changed location of where things are stored/loaded from) in tandem with NTR 3.0 and Free-Multi Patcher cia's.
How did you modify reinand to get rid of the start button push?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How did you modify reinand to get rid of the start button push?

He modified the source code. If you'd like auto-booting builds of Reinand, check the last page of its thread. I divided them up into builds that boot emuNAND only, and sysNAND only (was too lazy to code a unified build).

Magic Lubricant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He modified the source code. If you'd like auto-booting builds of Reinand, check the last page of its thread. I divided them up into builds that boot emuNAND only, and sysNAND only (was too lazy to code a unified build).
Awesome, thanks! How would I apply when I coldboot a cfw using home menu hax?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could try using the 3dsx file as boot.3dsx directly, but I didn't have much luck. Grab the ctrbootmanager b02 here and get set up with that. It has a nice menu that you can set to automatically go right to ReiNand, or customise it so it gives you a menu which can boot whatever 3dsx file you want (in my case, I have a timeout set for 3 seconds, defaulting to emuNAND, but I also have options to boot into sysNAND with sig checks patched (i.e. Reinand sysNAND, just make sure to hold down a button after picking it if you're using an auto-boot themehax, so you don't trigger themehax by accident) and the Homebrew Launcher).

Off-topic note: I also have AlbertoSONIC's Quick Reboot on my emuNAND so I can quickly boot into sysNAND or the Homebrew Launcher whenever I want.

Attachments

• boot_manager-b02.zip
    152.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited by daxtsu,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That sounds a lot as if ReiNAND is the true favorite here. If ReiNAND doesn't get updated for new stuff, it should also be easy to quickly switch to CakesFW. Guess I will try ReiNAND first. Also, thanks @daxtsu for the boot manager - that will make trying more stuff a lot easier, and if I understood correctly, I can put any .3DSX in there (f.e. my Decrypt9 WIP), correct?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That sounds a lot as if ReiNAND is the true favorite here. If ReiNAND doesn't get updated for new stuff, it should also be easy to quickly switch to CakesFW. Guess I will try ReiNAND first. Also, thanks @daxtsu for the boot manager - that will make trying more stuff a lot easier, and if I understood correctly, I can put any .3DSX in there (f.e. my Decrypt9 WIP), correct?

Sure, just edit its boot.cfg to include an entry for Decrypt9 and it should work (but I've not actually tried it myself).

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Feeling a bit stupid now, but where can I find the Ninjhax 2.x enabled versions of CakesFW & ReiNAND CFW? For CakesFW, I'm pretty sure I have read about that somewhere. For ReiNAND, I'm not sure (is there even a newer version than 2.1?).

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feeling a bit stupid now, but where can I find the Ninjhax 2.x enabled versions of CakesFW & ReiNAND CFW? For CakesFW, I'm pretty sure I have read about that somewhere. For ReiNAND, I'm not sure (is there even a newer version than 2.1?).
You'll have to look in their respective threads... Steveice10 made the one for Cakes, not sure on reiNAND

Reactions: d0k3

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You could try using the 3dsx file as boot.3dsx directly, but I didn't have much luck. Grab the ctrbootmanager b02 here and get set up with that. It has a nice menu that you can set to automatically go right to ReiNand, or customise it so it gives you a menu which can boot whatever 3dsx file you want (in my case, I have a timeout set for 3 seconds, defaulting to emuNAND, but I also have options to boot into sysNAND with sig checks patched (i.e. Reinand sysNAND, just make sure to hold down a button after picking it if you're using an auto-boot themehax, so you don't trigger themehax by accident) and the Homebrew Launcher).

Off-topic note: I also have AlbertoSONIC's Quick Reboot on my emuNAND so I can quickly boot into sysNAND or the Homebrew Launcher whenever I want.

Just wondering if you could chime into my situation. I've got a 9.2 N3DS with cakes for emunand and Pasta for sysnand. (Just so I can have sigs patched to run sdf/ntr and not raise any eyebrows with the multitude of installed emunand .cia when I'm at 3ds gatherings :ninja:)

I coldboot into pasta and run themehax to boot into cakes whenever necessary.

With that in mind, do you think it's better that i just forgo pasta and use reinand sysnand/cakes sysnand instead since they are more actively developed? I don't really have any concerns since my current setup is fine but i'm just wondering if there's something easier/better out there.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just wondering if you could chime into my situation. I've got a 9.2 N3DS with cakes for emunand and Pasta for sysnand. (Just so I can have sigs patched to run sdf/ntr and not raise any eyebrows with the multitude of installed emunand .cia when I'm at 3ds gatherings :ninja:)

I coldboot into pasta and run themehax to boot into cakes whenever necessary.

With that in mind, do you think it's better that i just forgo pasta and use reinand sysnand/cakes sysnand instead since they are more actively developed? I don't really have any concerns since my current setup is fine but i'm just wondering if there's something easier/better out there.

If it's working fine for you, then I don't really see a reason to switch, but just be careful with using sysNAND.

I got another question, would it be possible to automatically patch the 3ds on boot with free multi patcher?

That would require source code modifications to whatever CFW you're using.

Reactions: Magic Lubricant

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States

I use a reiNand mod that I made my self aswell, just skips the button press. Later it will have more though.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
The funny part is, at one point, reinand and cakes were pretty much the same thing, since i used their code to test n3ds emunand, then just rewrote everything to try and be minimalistic, as well as for my own learning experiences.
Anyways, i dont really plan on updating it till 9.6+ emu comes to n3ds anyways.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The funny part is, at one point, reinand and cakes were pretty much the same thing, since i used their code to test n3ds emunand, then just rewrote everything to try and be minimalistic, as well as for my own learning experiences.

*Insert Waiting Skeleton meme here*

fengjunzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow! thanks you anyway, rein!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM