Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completely fake, for one the Wii U doesn't work like that, for two just to humor him i tried all his *ways* and none worked.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Anybody that tries to post a fake exploit which could cause people to damage their consoles needs to get their ass banned forever. Plain and simple.

That aside, why in the world was this thread bumped? If this exploit ever did work, it's long been patched out. Thread was created back in 2012...serously.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is fake, how come a mod hasn't closed this yet??? I'm just curious.... Perhaps this worked at launch but was later patched' which would explain why others can't seem to get it working. I wish I had a Wii U import lying around haha, just to give it a shot (without getting my hopes up of course). Even if this trick never really worked, the original poster may be onto something. Maybe some sort of funky swap trick could be possible. I highly doubt it would ever work for homebrew/backups, but perhaps it "could" work for original imported games. I mean all the authenticity info (outside of the region coding info) should match no problem, with an original import. But TOC could cause some issues of course (like always :P) I remember a similar trick to this working on the original wii (early system menu) for booting imported gcn games (no backups), which can be seen here: . I preordered a japanese copy of Mario Kart 8 (exclusive skins woot lol), knowing that I won't be able to play it, unless something drastic happens between now and May 29th lmao, but perhaps I could do some experimenting with this disc and see what I can come up with (if anything). I also preordered the US version from my local gamestop, so if anything happens to the jap disc its not too big a deal lol. I'm willing to sacrifice my jap version in hopes of furthering the scene, not like i'll be able to play it anyways at this point in time :P.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not trying to find an exploit in the source code ?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/
Some files are from google, apple, nokia and many others...
This is yet another possible approach! Although I'm not too sure Nintendo would have released crucial security info like that, but then again, people make mistakes XD. A human error of releasing something that probably shouldn't have been officially released, could hold the key. When I have some spare time, I will take a look at that code and see if I can come up with anything.

As for the swap method that this thread is all about, I can confirm myself here, that the first method is surely flawed. I'm on System Update 4.0.3U and the minute you hit that eject button, the console knows exactly what's going on. There does not seem to be any sort of software/html/other bugs that would cause the console to not register the disc being ejected. It pops up with an error immediately. Depending on one's timing, sometimes it will ask you to simply reinsert the disc, but if you get to this point, and you put in any other game disc, it tells you its the wrong game. As for the error code others have reported, this is also true. As i've experienced that several times as well. When the error code comes up, you have to force the console off, reinserting the original disc you started with does nothing.

Now that being said, I have not tried the second method there (opening the case), this method could potentially work as it doesn't require you to use the eject button at all. The problem here though is that the way the Wii U optical drive is designed, it would be super easy to ruin your drive this way. Just a little too much force, and you drive is f*****. Not to mention your poor games would get beat to heck as well. Once I have my japanese copy of Mario Kart 8, I am willing to give this second method a try, but I don't recommend that others try it. If you do this, its at your own risk! The only reason I'm willing to try this method, is because if this method of swapping does in fact work properly then that brings us a step closer to an actually usable exploit. If this works, myself, with the help of others could develop some sort of "stealth eject" device that would enable you to safely swap discs without the console knowing it. It would effectively stop the disc from spinning, eject the disc, and allow you (within a few seconds or so) to put the import in the drive, without the console knowing the difference here. If stealth swapping does work (with the case open) then a stealth eject device would also work. Once installed, you would never need to open up your Wii U case again. Not too mention, this would be difficult for Nintendo to detect (the hardware itself), although they could patch swapping altogether.

Of course, this is all theoretical and I may be wasting my time writing this, but one can dream! :P! Eventually imported Wii U games will be playable, its only a matter of when and how :). Even if I don't get anywhere with any of this and someone beats me to the punch, thats okay by me. I just want to see the Wii U work at its full potential! :)

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not trying to find an exploit in the source code ?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/
Some files are from google, apple, nokia and many others...

The only thing released there is WebKit, a framework used by browsers such as Safari and Chrome. Under the terms of the LGPL, since Nintendo incorporated WebKit into their products, they have to release the source code back to the public, but you can get the WebKit source code anyway.

Reactions: TheChield

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing released there is WebKit, a framework used by browsers such as Safari and Chrome. Under the terms of the LGPL, since Nintendo incorporated WebKit into their products, they have to release the source code back to the public, but you can get the WebKit source code anyway.

Ya, I didn't think Nintendo would be stupid enough to release any crucial security info (via the source code). They're smarter than that. It was a bit of a long shot, but if this is only for web browsing etc, I don't see that having any effect on what discs can and cannot be used on the console, however, it could be possible to find a potential exploit in the web browser for launching homebrew. Once the first "Hello World" is released for the Wii U, the scene will likely explode like it did on the original Wii, which would ultimately lead to things like region free loaders etc. This might be worth looking into..... Unfortunately I'm very busy at the moment with school, as the semester is coming to an end in a few weeks (end of the semester scramble) so I don't know if I'll be able to look at this code anytime soon. If anybody else with any skills in Computer Science could take a look at that source code and see if we could potentially do anything with it, that would be greatly appreciated :). Perhaps we could find an opportunity to create a buffer overflow or something for launching homebrew.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly suggest, that anyone who plans on jumping on board with this, check out this thread on bypassing system updates, because Nintendo will likely be quick to patch anything we (or anyone else for that matter) comes up with: http://gbatemp.net/threads/bypass-system-updates-and-still-access-wii-u-mode.364211/

As stated on the second page of that thread, I was NOT the first person to discover this bug as I originally thought, when I made the thread. Just saying.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, I didn't think Nintendo would be stupid enough to release any crucial security info (via the source code). They're smarter than that. It was a bit of a long shot, but if this is only for web browsing etc, I don't see that having any effect on what discs can and cannot be used on the console, however, it could be possible to find a potential exploit in the web browser for launching homebrew. Once the first "Hello World" is released for the Wii U, the scene will likely explode like it did on the original Wii, which would ultimately lead to things like region free loaders etc. This might be worth looking into..... Unfortunately I'm very busy at the moment with school, as the semester is coming to an end in a few weeks (end of the semester scramble) so I don't know if I'll be able to look at this code anytime soon. If anybody else with any skills in Computer Science could take a look at that source code and see if we could potentially do anything with it, that would be greatly appreciated :). Perhaps we could find an opportunity to create a buffer overflow or something for launching homebrew.

A Wii U WebKit exploit is being worked on, but don't expect anything to come out of it anytime soon.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A Wii U WebKit exploit is being worked on, but don't expect anything to come out of it anytime soon.
Well, the source code is not from Nintendo so it will be harder to find a weakness (yes, I'm trolling...)
But first, it's possible to make an svn and update with every update to see where are the updates or look which component is the weaker...
The final integrator (Nintendo) might have done a mistake when merging all components and introduce a weakness.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu