Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

S

Saiyan Lusitano

how are they going to put a game on an sd card? peeps will accidentally erase it than complain :lol:
Make it readable-only and unable to be played on any other device than NX kinda like Wii U's Blu-rays or how if you copy savedata to your USB you can't open it on the PC.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridges are nothing more than 'cards' with a different casing and maybe circuitry. They both contain memory chips inside with lines that connect the various pins of the chip to the transfer contacts.

I also think NX will use carts, and rather than simply state why here, I actually put my thoughts to ether, and laid out my entire reasoning, and made what i think is an educated guess as to what kind of storage Nintendo would use. It can be viewed here.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Halo 5 is top-notch too

Like hell it is. It's painfully generic, and it borders on being an episodic game, seeing how short it is. I honestly don't get why people care so much about Halo. Ironically enough, I did play every game in the series, but they're not titles I'd ever get at launch. Not since Halo 3, anyway. Halo is supposed to be a killer app, and frankly, the fifth game was underwhelming, to say the least. Especially in the visual department. We're talking personal preference here, so there's no real point in discussing whether the story is good or not, but the best thing I can say about it is that's it's just another Halo game, which doesn't sound too enthusiastic, and it isn't. Also, I don't want to get into discussions on how good the multiplayer is, because I don't care about it, at all.

Don't quiz me on the One because I don't have one, but library-wise Nintendo's lead is waning, even if just exclusives are concerned.

For all intents and purposes, Xbox One exclusive library is a joke. Microsoft has a habit of releasing their so called exclusives on PC, as well, so Dead Rising 3 or Ryse, both of which were important launch titles I would say, aren't so exclusive any more. In fact, aside from Forza 5 and 6, Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay, Halo 5 plus Collection and some two odd Kinect games, there are no retail exclusives to speak of. Sure, among downloads we have Crimson Dragon and D4, but these aren't exactly system sellers. Same goes for Killer Instinct with its ridiculous business concept. Oh, there's the Raiden game as well. Go ahead and import it from Japan to add it to your toaster-sized pile of Xbox One exclusives.

So yeah, Wii U's 100% real exclusive exclusives can take on the Xbox library any day of the week. Lastly, I don't like it when people list titles from other platforms' libraries and ask where the Nintendo equivalents are. You could just as well say where are the equivalents of Nintendo's Wii U exclusives, and no, Little Big Planet isn't an equivalent of Yoshi's Wooly World, and neither is Unraveled.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Wii U's 100% real exclusive exclusives
Wii U doesn't have "100% exclusives" per say:

Super Smash Bros. - 3DS, Wii U
Zelda: Hyrule Warriors - 3DS, Wii U
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - NX, Wii U
Sonic Lost World - 3DS, Wii U, PC
Lego City Undercover - 3DS, Wii U
Devil's Third - PC, Wii U
Pokkén Tournament - Arcade, Wii U
Wii Sports Club - Wii, Wii U
Zombi - PS4, PC, XO, Wii U
Rayman Legends - 360, PS3, PS4, PSV, PC, XO
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - 360, PS3, Wii U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 360, PS3, Wii U

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii U doesn't have "100% exclusives" per say

That's crazy talk, and you can't support it by listing only those titles, which got some sort of multiple platform release. Devil's Third doesn't even count. As far as I know, it only got a multiplayer beta, and no official PC release. I could argue the same for Pokkén, because come on, how many arcades in the world have it? Anyway, Wii U's 100% real exclusive exclusives are:

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Ultimate NES Remix Pack
Project Zero / Fatal Frame
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi’s Woolly World

This isn't the complete list, but I'm not insane and I refuse to include Taiko games and some shovelware published by Ubisoft just to prove my point. That list is more than enough, with top tier titles-a-plenty, to outclass anything Xbox One retail library has to offer.

Edit: Tank! Tank! Tank! was also an arcade machine, but please, see the Pokkén argument above. Besides, even without it on the list, Wii U wins the retail exclusive battle with Xbox One.

Edit 2: Totally forgot to add Project Zero / Fatal frame.

Last edited by Mariko, , Reason: *unngh!*

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On SD cards then it could be doable in terms of cost (I ran the numbers at various points when it came up, it is a nice bit of someone's margin somewhere but not like 4 times the price or anything), speed and space are also there or better than the alternatives. For a real word example the GPS companies will happily sell me map updates on SD card.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. Games usually do cross-play when they're on Steam. They're not gonna keep Steam players from playing with other Steam players.
GTA IV.......... or any GFWL game really..... Hell, even GTA V uses it's own online system on PC.

Last edited by GBAFail,

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Reggie. No one knew that Nintendo prioritized other factors over specs.
Allow me to inform people who purchased the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the Wii, the Wii U, as well as any revision of the Game Boy, Gameboy Advance, DS, and 3DS handhelds. I'm sure they'll all be shocked to find that top of the line hardware specs were not the main focus.

Its all about that 720p ;O;
I know, right? It's not like the Wii U continues to play more games at 1080p 60fps than the PS4 and Xbone.
Haha, fucking Nintendo.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Reggie. No one knew that Nintendo prioritized other factors over specs.
Allow me to inform people who purchased the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the Wii, the Wii U, as well as any revision of the Game Boy, Gameboy Advance, DS, and 3DS handhelds. I'm sure they'll all be shocked to find that top of the line hardware specs were not the main focus.

I know, right? It's not like the Wii U continues to play more games at 1080p 60fps than the PS4 and Xbone.
Haha, fucking Nintendo.
The NES and SNES (had a great audio chip and mode 7) were top of the line in many ways. As was the N64 and GameCube (It was cartridges and mini DVD that brought them down). Not to mention the Gameboy had the best battery life at the time. Also, the 1080p 60fps thing was only true in the first year or so. Until the PS4 had so many more games that it still has more that run at 1080p60 anyway.

Last edited by GBAFail,

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it didn't. But GFWL was a massive POS and is dead now, so I guess that's all there is to say about that.
And I'm saying XBL is going to work like that. It HAS to because you'll be able to play with/invite XBone players. Even GTA V does this with social club. There is no standard online gaming service for ALL PC games. It's not even an argument, it's just true. A console player doesn't want six accounts with different friend lists to play online.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

That's crazy talk, and you can't support it by listing only those titles, which got some sort of multiple platform release. Devil's Third doesn't even count. As far as I know, it only got a multiplayer beta, and no official PC release. I could argue the same for Pokkén, because come on, how many arcades in the world have it? Anyway, Wii U's 100% real exclusive exclusives are:

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Ultimate NES Remix Pack
Project Zero / Fatal Frame
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi’s Woolly World

This isn't the complete list, but I'm not insane and I refuse to include Taiko games and some shovelware published by Ubisoft just to prove my point. That list is more than enough, with top tier titles-a-plenty, to outclass anything Xbox One retail library has to offer.

Edit: Tank! Tank! Tank! was also an arcade machine, but please, see the Pokkén argument above. Besides, even without it on the list, Wii U wins the retail exclusive battle with Xbox One.

Edit 2: Totally forgot to add Project Zero / Fatal frame.

Several of these games made me want to puke a little but I didn't. You know, when a user has to list games like Kirby: Rainbow Curse, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Star Fox Zero, Star Fox Guard, Tank!, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic 2014 Olympic Games, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Nintendo Land and Mario Party 10 then Nintendo screwed up big time. Bunch of mediocre games we have here.

Note: NSLU is more of a DLC add-on for NSMBU although it did receive a physical release.

EDIT: Added Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker to the list.

Last edited by ,

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Several of these games made me want to puke a little but I didn't. You know, when a user has to list games like (every Nintendo Wii U exclusive ever) then Nintendo screwed up big time. Bunch of mediocre games we have here.

This just goes to show how individual tastes can be. I'm by no means a Nintendo fangirl, but most of these games I really like, including Wii Fit U and Nintendo Land. Star Fox is excellent, so is Mario Tennis and Kirby. I like Captain Toad, too. This didn't stop me from enjoying both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One, but that still doesn't change the fact that Xbox One exclusives are few and far between, and those that deserve the praise (I'm thinking of you, Sunset Overdrive), don't get it. At least not enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality