Hacking Refresh rate issue with DKC and DKC2

mccrash3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone.
I'm having some troubles with the emulation of these two games on my PSP3000.
Basically, every time characters are running or the action is very fast, some blurred lines appears on the screen. Please note that these lines doesn't affect gameplay and game speed in any way, but they're very annoying to see. Since i'm using Snes9xTYL, i've tried to turn VSYNC ON, and for a little it works, but after half an hour of gameplay the console crashed, i suppose due to the extra RAM used by VSYNC.
Does anyone experienced my same problem and/or know if there's an emulator setting which can resolve this issue? FYI, here's my current equipment/software:

Console: European PSP3000 with native-installed FW 6.60
CFW: 6.60 PRO-B9 (downloaded from this FAQ: http://gbatemp.net/threads/hack-every-psp-up-to-firmware-6-60.291169/)
Emulator: Snes9xTYLmecm (downloaded from this page: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP)
Emulator settings: default, except for the IGNORE PALETTE WRITES option turned ON while playing DKC.
Memory stick size: 1 GB (i don't know if it's relevant or not, consider that, aside from the CFW, the emulator and these 2 ROMs, there isn't anything inside)

Thank you very much in advance

mccrash3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't remember what the default settings are. What rendering engine are you using and what do you have your PSP clocked at?

For the sake of completion, emulator's correct name and version are:

Snes9xTYL 0.4.2me
Built in
With GCC 4.3.3
CRC324e2d90f4

Default clockspeed is set at 222Mhz, and default engine is PSP ACCEL. + APPROX. SOFT.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the sake of completion, emulator's correct name and version are:

Snes9xTYL 0.4.2me
Built in
With GCC 4.3.3
CRC324e2d90f4

Default clockspeed is set at 222Mhz, and default engine is PSP ACCEL. + APPROX. SOFT.
Grab the version I linked you, it's had a lot of improvements since 2009. Also, try clocking it up to 333mhz and try out Accelerate + Accurate, it might be better, it tends to depend on the game.

mccrash3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, bad news i suppose.

I've downloaded the R26 version of Snes9x (mine was R23 i suppose) but the problem still stays. On top of that, there are evident audio/video slowdowns during cinematics (eg. the opening rareware logo) and certain fast game sequences, which the old emulator doesn't suffer of. I can mitigate both problems by turning Vsync ON (for refresh rate) and by setting frameskip to 1 or 2 (for slowdowns), but in this way game and audio doesn't seems to run "smoother" (while audio tracks run at proper speed, for example, it seems to hear slow tapes played with fast forward, rather than a proper tune).

I don't know what this could mean, especially since both revisions have same default settings. Maybe it's a ROM problem, i will try this afternoon with another one and let you know.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try turning your clocking up to 333mhz? Also, keep trying different engines, though the ones you try should always be Accelerated. This is mostly trial and error on my end since I no longer have my Donkey Kong Country cartridge to test it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.