• Replies 100
  • Likes 4

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well let me say that I have taken apart and worked on many devices. Most of the ones with large bezels around the screen are just filler material. Some manufactures do it to provide over-zealous amounts of cushion because the are using a cheap display that is not as durable. Others do it because the device by design will be subject to harsher conditions. As such with devices designed for the younger crowd (ex. children). BUT the majority is simply lazy design or an attempt to keep production cheap.
I think Nintendo is after the over-zealous cushioning to lower damage rates with children. Not necessarily because of a cheap display, however this is yet to be known.
I think, if they even have room, keeping the cost down and adding durability are pluses in this case.
I mean, even adults can be clumsy.

Yes I believe there is a market for the Switch. But I do not feel it will be as large as what many of us anticipate. Sure, in the beginning there will be quite a number of people that will buy one and carry it around for a little while. However that is sure to die off quickly as the new shiny wears off.
Just look at how many users around the world still carry past gen portables like the DS and PSP. The market was saturated with both because they were such good consoles, and came before smartphones got involved.
My point is, most people are already carrying smartphones. Carrying a second device is far less common today than it was 5yrs ago. Size is going to play a big role in portable game machine choice for the few that do. And with the size of the Switch already, I think many peeps are going to shy away from taking it along. And for that reason, I think Nintendo needs to ensure that the biggest advantage of bringing the Switch along (multiplayer) is more appealing.
Most people aren't carry past gen portables because a lot of them are carrying this gen portables (more so the 3ds) instead. Even if using as a portable dies off, which I don't think it will, it will still be in their hands to buy games. Yes, most people are carrying smartphones, yet a lot of people still bought the 3DS (including XLs). If so, making it even bigger and less a portable is going make them shy away even more so.

Lets all be honest here. How many of you will actually hunch over a 6in screen to play mobile multiplayer? Try it out a few times because of the novelty, sure.
If multiplayer in this screen size range was that usable, we would see a lot more games of that type. Most of today's smartphones are in the 5+in category. The size just is not that great for sharing content at table distance.
We don't see a lot games like this because most games on mobile are design around touchscreen and single player experiences and phone are just starting to be big by default. They wouldn't expect you to have controllers, let alone want to play local multiplayer without controllers, especially with the more complex games. I would be more likely to agree with you, if the Switch screen was less than 6in, but apparently it isn't.

It is possible that 1in larger probably would not matter to most. Hard to say. I know very few who have attempted to play multiplayer on a device this small.

To my eyes, the 6-8in screen range changes the usability by quite a bit. I get to play with a lot of devices with screens in this range. The 7in is still a one hand tablet and great for close viewing. When you get to 8in, that starts to change. At the 8in mark is where you can set it on a table and be able to comfortably (subjective) see what you are doing. Set the 7in at the same distance and try doing the same task. You really have to strain your eyes. So 6in for multiplayer at a table distance is going to be tough.

Like I mentioned before, 8in seems to be the sweet spot for that idea. Of course, it has those other drawbacks. I believe that the 6.2 to 7in jump does make a difference.
Everyone is welcome to experiment with it. Most flagship phones are near the 6in mark today. Set that on a table beside a 7in tablet and see which one you would prefer.
Maybe for a "Switch XL", but as far as the default Switch, 8in and even 7in, if they have the increase Switch size, is too big. Even if the 7in didn't increase the overall size, it would be a hit to battery life (and ppi). If someone has a thought to play local multiplayer with the Switch with someone else, I doubt most will be like "Hold up. Before we play, let me compare it to my 7in tablet". Other words, unless you are purposely comparing to a 7in tablet every time you play, you wouldn't notice the .8 difference. Using the Wii U gamepad as an example, it isn't as bad as you are making it.

Local play with the same device isn't even its main and only feature. Considering you can still play with multiple Switches online and local.

D

Deleted-368796

Local play with the same device isn't even its main and only feature. Considering you can still play with multiple Switches online and local.
Our opinions differ on the matter. That's perfectly fine. I think we have both made very valid points. Let's not get into a spitting match over it.

It does look like there is some merit to this recent leak now that the police have got involved. Looks like the screen size has been all but officially confirmed now at 6.8in.
Let us hope that this can meet the median for the majority of players.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope 2ch didn't base this off of my post.
I think, if they even have room, keeping the cost down and adding durability are pluses in this case.
I mean, even adults can be clumsy.

Most people aren't carry past gen portables because a lot of them are carrying this gen portables (more so the 3ds) instead. Even if using as a portable dies off, which I don't think it will, it will still be in their hands to buy games. Yes, most people are carrying smartphones, yet a lot of people still bought the 3DS (including XLs). If so, making it even bigger and less a portable is going make them shy away even more so.

We don't see a lot games like this because most games on mobile are design around touchscreen and single player experiences and phone are just starting to be big by default. They wouldn't expect you to have controllers, let alone want to play local multiplayer without controllers, especially with the more complex games. I would be more likely to agree with you, if the Switch screen was less than 6in, but apparently it isn't.

Maybe for a "Switch XL", but as far as the default Switch, 8in and even 7in, if they have the increase Switch size, is too big. Even if the 7in didn't increase the overall size, it would be a hit to battery life (and ppi). If someone has a thought to play local multiplayer with the Switch with someone else, I doubt most will be like "Hold up. Before we play, let me compare it to my 7in tablet". Other words, unless you are purposely comparing to a 7in tablet every time you play, you wouldn't notice the .8 difference. Using the Wii U gamepad as an example, it isn't as bad as you are making it.

Local play isn't the only feature, it's the only additional feature. And why would you notice the 0.2 difference in this case? Switch's boarder is small and this 0.6 could mean everything for local 2p while still being comfortable for 1p. Wii u's screen could be slightly bigger, I'd say.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL guys this is mobile form factor. Look at the physical size of the PS4 and it still has cooling problems. Due to heating and wattage limitations, the SOC in the Switch will come nowhere close to Xbone or PS4 performance. Sure the tech might be a couple gens ahead, but that mobile TDP will hold it back. I expect Wii-U like performance in a mobile form factor, which is pretty darn good for a portable, but nowhere near a full sized modern console with desktop-class cooling.
I'm sure you are greatly underestimating these modern chips or overestimating the old chips.

I knew it!

Sorry. I know some of you are not going to be happy about the larger screen. I think this was a good move on Nintendo's part. For the reasons I spoke of earlier.
Hope it does not tax the battery too terribly much more.
Now the only thing to be seen is whether the reveal trailer unit was actually 6.8in all along.
To be fair, you said 7in. :P

Besides, it might not actually come out at 6.8in. The person wasn't sure about somethings, he can be wrong here.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH I see this like the Surface Book (as opposed to a normal tablet). Yes, it can be used as a portable - and does it amazingly well. But it is designed so it can be used stationary and even left stationary. Some users may only use it in console mode, and it's fine for that. But the whole point is so if you get the urg, you are able to just grab the whole unit and play it wherever the hell you want to - even if just because you're doing a marathon run and have to take a big shit.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you are able to just grab the whole unit and play it wherever the hell you want to - even if just because you're doing a marathon run and have to take a big shit.
Lol that's the best marketing line ever. "Switch: your home console, now available on the shitter!"

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Futurdreamz Actually Microsoft have every resource to make a surface hybrid like the switch with power scaling. Hell, they could even be implementing this in the new surface one way or the other, and making the dock an accessory for surface pro 5.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Futurdreamz Actually Microsoft have every resource to make a surface hybrid like the switch with power scaling. Hell, they could even be implementing this in the new surface one way or the other, and making the dock an accessory for surface pro 5.
They'd be targeting a different price range for sure. Even before any additional dock, surface pros are hella expensive. I can't even find a surface pro 2 below $400, and that's a refurbished model.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They'd be targeting a different price range for sure. Even before any additional dock, surface pros are hella expensive. I can't even find a surface pro 2 below $400, and that's a refurbished model.
And with Intel Graphics, only the Surface Book has Nvidia, and that's in the keyboard shell. Not a perfect analogy, but Surface book vs Surface is a lot like Switch vs 3DS

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And with Intel Graphics, only the Surface Book has Nvidia, and that's in the keyboard shell. Not a perfect analogy, but Surface book vs Surface is a lot like Switch vs 3DS
But iris 540 is almost on par with 940mx.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know if I should start trolling the reddit post cause he is responsible for the original op's arrest. But I guess I have a small piece as well.

Last edited by Yil,
D

Deleted-368796

Edit: What happened to the details about the NX using could-based computing to enhance the experience when docked at home? Chaining the power of multiple consoles together over internet to increase graphic fidelity. Utilizing the power of units when not being used.
Did I miss something where they decided to scrap these plans? No one seems to be talking about it.

You know, it really makes you think. These current gen consoles are capable of such nice graphics with essentially tablet HW.
Could you imagine what modern PCs could be capable of if optimized to console levels? Sure, a lot of variables might be thrown in there.
Windoze is such a heavy OS, and Mac.... well it is less, but you can forget about gaming on an Appul. Newest Macbook was a complete misstep. Even the $4000 model.

The Switch would be my first Nintendo console to own since the N64. Always played on friend's GameCube, never bought one. Bought a Wii and promptly sold it a few weeks later.
Besides the 3DS, I've been off the Ninty train for a looooong time now. To me NiN has not been interesting since the GC.

So I am really rooting for the success of the Switch. This has been a long time dream to see a console hit this holy grail of home and portable use.
I think NiN is on the right track. Sheer horsepower and graphics are not everything. Usability will account for more than 60% of this consoles success.

Last edited by ,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: What happened to the details about the NX using could-based computing to enhance the experience when docked at home? Chaining the power of multiple consoles together over internet to increase graphic fidelity. Utilizing the power of units when not being used.
Did I miss something where they decided to scrap these plans? No one seems to be talking about it.

You know, it really makes you think. These current gen consoles are capable of such nice graphics with essentially tablet HW.
Could you imagine what modern PCs could be capable of if optimized to console levels? Sure, a lot of variables might be thrown in there.
Windoze is such a heavy OS, and Mac.... well it is less, but you can forget about gaming on an Appul. Newest Macbook was a complete misstep. Even the $4000 model.

The Switch would be my first Nintendo console to own since the N64. Always played on friend's GameCube, never bought one. Bought a Wii and promptly sold it a few weeks later.
Besides the 3DS, I've been off the Ninty train for a looooong time now. To me NiN has not been interesting since the GC.

So I am really rooting for the success of the Switch. This has been a long time dream to see a console hit this holy grail of home and portable use.
I think NiN is on the right track. Sheer horsepower and graphics are not everything. Usability will account for more than 60% of this consoles success.
I don't know if x86 is really that efficient... A 2016 64-bit chip still has to run binaries that were compiled for a year 2000 Pentium 4 (maybe older, but I figure the oldest chip supported by Windows 7 is sufficient for my example). There's a lot of legacy overhead that has to be maintained otherwise there will be running and screaming and possibly a pitchfork or two. it makes sense that a brand new chip architecture with a fresh OS would be a lot more performance efficient. I think it's quite easy for an arm-based tablet to hold it's ground with a x86 console, depending on the exact implementation.

In fact, I sincerely believe Microsoft is looking to dip it's toes into ARM; while Apple should really be making the full plunge. There are rumors of Microsoft working on a bit of tech that allows an ARM chip to emulate x86 code - which would pretty much be the only thing the Windows RT line needed to be successful. I don't know WTH Apple is doing. They've done major changes to their OS in the past (MacOS9 to OSX, PPC to Intel), so there's no technical reason for them to NOT try to figure out a way to make iOS feasible as a FULL replacement for macOS - literally all they would have to do is make the OS a teensy bit more flexible and phase out ALL macOS devices while bringing out a clone of the Surface Studio with one of their homegrown Ax chips. the developers would have no choice but to follow suite, and would eb happy to do so. The groundwork is all there, just they have to get their collective heads out of the sand and realize that they sell tools that can be considered status symbols and not vice versa.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really.

Shield TV can't even run Half Life Episode 2, Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Rising at 1080p. Sure it can run Angry Birds at 1080p, so can my phone. Also decoding 4k video content is much less demanding than running games.
But shield tv isnt optimised to play those games, switch is an actual games console not a tv box with some interesting features.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not optimised? Nvidia has own studios specifically for porting games to the Shield TV.
This is true, but they're still using middleware (they even state it themselves in their own blog post) and using android as their operating system, as opposed to running the games natively.

I'm not saying the Switch will be better, and yes, ports are likely to turn out similarly, but there is still at least POTENTIAL to be much better than the Shield TV

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1