Canada

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess 1080 might make sense...wouldn't it make the switch between the mobile and docked quicker to not have to change resolution?

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess 1080 might make sense...wouldn't it make the switch between the mobile and docked quicker to not have to change resolution?
That's way too much for a console and would put Nvidia out of business.
Edit: Sorry, I thought you said gtx 1080, and remember to say 1080p next time. 5s is more than enough to have a major clock boost.

Last edited by Yil,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's way too much for a console and would put Nvidia out of business.
Edit: Sorry, I thought you said gtx 1080, and remember to say 1080p next time. 5s is more than enough to have a major clock boost.
fair enough. yeah, 1080p. i'll be surprised if isn't 720p just for a longer battery charge. if on the go doesn't last more than a few hours, it'll be the only thing people complain about. and they'll do it endlessly. 4g would also be a drain, along with gps

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not really.

Yes, it would make Switching easier, but it would need much more GPU power (= battery usage) compared to 720p.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

Last edited by nmkd,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She has been accurate on the name of the Nintendo switch before the reveal, even other good point that were confirmed by Nintendo later, she said it doesn't match theirs sources

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/801388009446928384
This is suspicious, but this could just mean her sources don't know everything or things could have changed.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4854078471?pn=1 It could be even worse, for example going to jail. Also that post was not meant to be translated and acknowledged by Nintendo.
See. If I had I job like this, I wouldn't say nothing. Even if I think it might be fine to say.

D

Deleted-368796

I do hope that the part about not being the final production unit shown in the trailer, is true.
So far, the biggest turn off for me is the ginormous bezel around the screen.

I am not expecting razor thin bezels, but something less than that. That body should hold a 7in screen easily.
Some meat around the screen is necessary to thwart damage. This will be a portable, and in the hands of care-free children. Still, they WILL find a way....

Reactions: DrkBeam and Yil

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but the day the Switch is more powerful than the PS4 Pro, is the day Nintendo buys Apple.

If Nintendo buys or teams up with Apple, the day Nintendo dies. Apple is not the best company in the world to work with, so...

D

Deleted-368796

A 7 inch screen for portable gaming would be overkill in my opinion.
In this case, I do not think it would. The physical size of the console would not change, just a larger screen to fill out the body.
If Nintendo could make the whole console smaller to better fit the current screen size, that would be more ideal. However, the current unit size is most likely needed to fit the HW required.

The most important reason a larger screen would be ideal is the usability for mobile local multiplayer. 6.x in is just too small for 2 players playing at a distance with any hope of performing well.
For this reason, I do not see the multiplayer part of the Switch being used nearly as much as Nintendo wishes for.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case, I do not think it would. The physical size of the console would not change, just a larger screen to fill out the body.
If Nintendo could make the whole console smaller to better fit the current screen size, that would be more ideal. However, the current unit size is most likely needed to fit the HW required.

The most important reason a larger screen would be ideal is the usability for mobile local multiplayer. 6.x in is just too small for 2 players playing at a distance with any hope of performing well.
For this reason, I do not see the multiplayer part of the Switch being used nearly as much as Nintendo wishes for.

I'm not talking about the unit's overall size, I just mean I don't need a 7 inch screen for on the go gaming. Hell, a 5.5 inch screen would be more than enough of a screen size to satisfy my portable gaming desires and preferences.

D

Deleted-368796

I'm not talking about the unit's overall size, I just mean I don't need a 7 inch screen for on the go gaming. Hell, a 5.5 inch screen would be more than enough of a screen size to satisfy my portable gaming desires and preferences.

And I agree with you on that point. But this is not a just a portable console. It was designed with multiplayer in mind, and is set to replace Nintendo's home console offerings.
Maybe they can create an official accessory to help with mobile multiplayer. A dual helmet rig that will hold you and your buddies face so close to one another, you'll want to kiss. A pair of extended arms will reach from either players helmet to support the Swtich, held within close proximity at face level. This is shaping up to be the most daring move by Nintendo yet. Heh

I honestly believe that 8in would be the sweet spot for Ninty's vision for this machine. Allowing multiple users to play, and bystanders to spectate. No one is going to stoop over to watch peeps play on a 6in screen. Yes, we can argue there will be a few that would. 8in would make more heat and reduce battery life. So there is that.
My opinion is that this is a home console first and foremost. Portability is a bonus. Considering the short battery life, not many people will be willing to take it along vs a portable with 2-3x the battery life. 3DS already exists, and smartphones have trounced on the portable gaming world.

My opinion is no more valid than yours. I am just trying to make sense of what would be more logical in the ideal circumstance.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I remember a few months back, there's a rumour that there is a mix up during NX production and it caused the NX reveal delay. At that time, there were assumptions that it was NX and Scorpio part mix up.

Since Switch parts are confirmed not on par with Scorpio, what does the news mean now?
1. A surprise Vita successor because Nvidia sold the same tech to both Sony and Nintendo
or
2. There is a catastrophic failure and Switch are being held together by glue for now (no actual Switch gameplay footage)
or is the delay just a rumour?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo buys or teams up with Apple, the day Nintendo dies. Apple is not the best company in the world to work with, so...
If Nintendo would somehow buy Apple, that would be better than a team up, at least, but agree I don't want them nowhere near them. Rather a Sony team up, if there must be one.
I do hope that the part about not being the final production unit shown in the trailer, is true.
So far, the biggest turn off for me is the ginormous bezel around the screen.

I am not expecting razor thin bezels, but something less than that. That body should hold a 7in screen easily.
Some meat around the screen is necessary to thwart damage. This will be a portable, and in the hands of care-free children. Still, they WILL find a way....
If the size is to fit the HW, what makes you so certain that they even have room to put a bigger screen?
Maybe a slight decrease in bezel or increase in screen , but I doubt even that much.

Honestly, I don't think ~6in is that small for it. I doubt the majority who plan to use that feature, aren't going be put off because it isn't ~1in bigger.

As you said, it would be another hit to battery life, while yes it is a home console first, that doesn't mean they should be trying to hit the bare minimum of what is consider a portable. Otherwise they can just do 5 mins or less and 12in+ screen and be like, "buy hey, it is still portable!".

Yes, the portable market took a hit and yes, there is the 3DS, but there is still a market and you would be crazy to expect 3ds and Vita devs and gamers, not to make the Switch. (I'm so sorry. :P)

Last edited by KingVamp,
D

Deleted-368796

If the size is to fit the HW, what makes you so certain that they even have room to put a bigger screen?
Maybe a slight decrease in bezel or increase in screen , but I doubt even that much.
Well let me say that I have taken apart and worked on many devices. Most of the ones with large bezels around the screen are just filler material. Some manufactures do it to provide over-zealous amounts of cushion because the are using a cheap display that is not as durable. Others do it because the device by design will be subject to harsher conditions. As such with devices designed for the younger crowd (ex. children). BUT the majority is simply lazy design or an attempt to keep production cheap.
I think Nintendo is after the over-zealous cushioning to lower damage rates with children. Not necessarily because of a cheap display, however this is yet to be known.

Yes, the portable market took a hit and yes, there is the 3DS, but there is still a market and you would be crazy to expect 3ds and Vita devs and gamers, not to make the Switch. (I'm so sorry. :P)
Yes I believe there is a market for the Switch. But I do not feel it will be as large as what many of us anticipate. Sure, in the beginning there will be quite a number of people that will buy one and carry it around for a little while. However that is sure to die off quickly as the new shiny wears off.
Just look at how many users around the world still carry past gen portables like the DS and PSP. The market was saturated with both because they were such good consoles, and came before smartphones got involved.
My point is, most people are already carrying smartphones. Carrying a second device is far less common today than it was 5yrs ago. Size is going to play a big role in portable game machine choice for the few that do. And with the size of the Switch already, I think many peeps are going to shy away from taking it along. And for that reason, I think Nintendo needs to ensure that the biggest advantage of bringing the Switch along (multiplayer) is more appealing.

Honestly, I don't think ~6in is that small for it. I doubt the majority who plan to use that feature, aren't going be put off because it isn't ~1in bigger.
Lets all be honest here. How many of you will actually hunch over a 6in screen to play mobile multiplayer? Try it out a few times because of the novelty, sure.
If multiplayer in this screen size range was that usable, we would see a lot more games of that type. Most of today's smartphones are in the 5+in category. The size just is not that great for sharing content at table distance.
It is possible that 1in larger probably would not matter to most. Hard to say. I know very few who have attempted to play multiplayer on a device this small.
To my eyes, the 6-8in screen range changes the usability by quite a bit. I get to play with a lot of devices with screens in this range. The 7in is still a one hand tablet and great for close viewing. When you get to 8in, that starts to change. At the 8in mark is where you can set it on a table and be able to comfortably (subjective) see what you are doing. Set the 7in at the same distance and try doing the same task. You really have to strain your eyes. So 6in for multiplayer at a table distance is going to be tough.

Like I mentioned before, 8in seems to be the sweet spot for that idea. Of course, it has those other drawbacks. I believe that the 6.2 to 7in jump does make a difference.
Everyone is welcome to experiment with it. Most flagship phones are near the 6in mark today. Set that on a table beside a 7in tablet and see which one you would prefer.

Again, this is just my opinion on the matter. Everyone is welcome to disagree. I gave my thoughts and valid reasoning for the size differences.

make the Switch. (I'm so sorry. :P)
No reason to be sorry. I sees your carppy joke, and raise you two catfish. :yay::ph34r:

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: The op of the original post is now being monitored by Chinese police and that exploded all over 2ch (2ch who?).
The things that are absolutely confirmed:
1) 100 mm2 die size. Tegra x1 is 120mm2. 16nm rather than 20nm. On the other hand, a73 is both smaller and faster than a72. A post suggest its clock closer to a57, but could be to reduce heat and extend battery life.
2) Active cooling inside the tablet.
3) Unity fish demo with sufficient and very stable frame rate on charge, running for several days.
4) Dock does not provide extra power, at least the standard model. Dev unit have gp106.
5) 6.8 inch screen, not 6.2 inch.
6) sd card slot under the stand, on the other side as shown by the video. Sadly 128gb seems to be top.
7) Joy-con with color variant. Charged by tablet.
8) Appears metallic but really just plastic.
9) Around 4200 mAh. Not terrible for the size. Also not swappable, unlike wii u gamepad and 3ds.
10) 4G capability.
The things that the op is not sure himself:
1) A73. Somewhat sure.
2) 1080p. Did not check the specs but stated to look better than 720p. Could also be 900p.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL guys this is mobile form factor. Look at the physical size of the PS4 and it still has cooling problems. Due to heating and wattage limitations, the SOC in the Switch will come nowhere close to Xbone or PS4 performance. Sure the tech might be a couple gens ahead, but that mobile TDP will hold it back. I expect Wii-U like performance in a mobile form factor, which is pretty darn good for a portable, but nowhere near a full sized modern console with desktop-class cooling.
I'm sure it will have more than enough horsepower for Nintendo games. The graphics aren't going to floor you as a huge leap above Wii-u. This is Nintendo we're talking about, they plan on flooring you with their game quality, not graphics.
It's definitely shaping up to be the most powerful handheld gaming console on the market. Doesn't look like it will fit in you pocket though. Not sure if the market is ready for a mobile/console hybrid. It could be a tremendous success, or it may make too many sacrifices in each category, too big for a portable - too small for a home console (too small to be cooled enough to let the SOC stretch its legs).

Personally, I'm not very interested in portable gaming so I wish Nintendo had planned a full sized console.

D

Deleted-368796

5) 6.8 inch screen, not 6.2 inch.
I knew it!

Sorry. I know some of you are not going to be happy about the larger screen. I think this was a good move on Nintendo's part. For the reasons I spoke of earlier.
Hope it does not tax the battery too terribly much more.
Now the only thing to be seen is whether the reveal trailer unit was actually 6.8in all along.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended