Hardware Recovering a bricked Pokémon X cartridge?

Gamergrrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Powersaves bricked my Pokémon X cartridge during a read. ( I thought reading should be safe! )

By bricked I mean that the 3DS doesn't even recognize it - I just get a white square in the 3DS menu.

Has anyone managed to either fix cartridges this has happened to or to read off of one to create a rom including the saved game?

thanks!
/gamergrrrl

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If the NAND on the cartridge is corrupt, I'm afraid that nothing short of flashing it again would help, and that functionality is probably restricted on commercial carts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pokemon X/Y stores the save file on the same chip as the game - if this chip becomes corrupt or wiped, the game dies along with the save file.

Perhaps you should contact Nintendo regarding a replacement? Neglect the Power Saves part of the story, just tell them the cartridge no longer works and you have no idea why.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not necessarily. It could've been an unexpected jump in voltage or something - you never know how those third-party devices work. I'm no expert though, this is all just my educated guess.
In any case, I've heard of card2 games being bricked by accidentally overwriting the ROM before. If he could overwrite the corrupted part with data from a clean ROM dump, assuming that's the problem, it should be fixed, but that would be tricky to do. Perhaps the easiest way to do it would be by using 3DS homebrew rather than having to reverse engineer the cart communication and develop his own PC software to replicate it.

You could be right though, such a thing shouldn't happen but if the quality of the hardware components in either the PowerSaves dongle or his PC are subpar, it could.

Gamergrrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just want to reiterate - I wasn't writing to the cartridge. I was just doing a read. I don't really understand how a read can corrupt.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just want to reiterate - I wasn't writing to the cartridge. I was just doing a read. I don't really understand how a read can corrupt.
That could have been a bug in how PowerSaves communicates with the cart, causing it to overwrite part of the chip instead. Of course it might just as well be as Foxi4 says and in that case you wouldn't be able to unbrick it. No easy way to tell really. If you had a 4.x 3DS you could try to dump the ROM, and you'd be able to see if it's just part of the ROM that's corrupted or if the chip is actually damaged.

Reactions: cearp

Gamergrrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there an introductory page to dumping ROMs you can point me to?

How could one tell the difference between data damage and chip damage? My guess would be in the case of chip damage the dump would fail, but in the case of data damage the rom wouldn't run?

Is it possible to reflash the game to the cartridge? And if so, how?

When dumping a rom from a pokémon X or Y cartridge, if the data is healthy, should it be possible to use the save file from the cartridge?

thanks!

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like Foxi4 have said, a voltage spike could've easily killed the chip. Poorly made or defective device can cause voltage spike.

Your best chance is to contact Nintendo and arrange for a replacement. Don't even think about flashing the ROM back, it is way out of ordinary consumer league (plus you need corresponding equipment, which costs a lot more than a game).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it's dumb that they save to the NAND of the cart... but then that means the NAND-based games (Card 2?) have a read/write NAND... Could someone possibly hardware flash a new ROM of the same size into a retail cart? (Has anyone even tried?)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it's dumb that they save to the NAND of the cart... but then that means the NAND-based games (Card 2?) have a read/write NAND... Could someone possibly hardware flash a new ROM of the same size into a retail cart? (Has anyone even tried?)
as far as i know, only a small part is rewritable, probably about 1-2mb. the save data part.
i have no idea how powersave works but unless you can write a clean save file on it (or if you can and it still doesnt work) its save to say its gone for good. hope for replacement, or get a new game for 20 bucks and dont cheat again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...