Hacking reconnecting solder pads?

octavius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was installing my Wiikey today for a friend and kinda tripped up a bit and knocked off a solder pad. I could probably go straight to the IC but before trying that, since I still have the pad, i was wondering if i set it back in the hole (that it came from) would it still contact?

it seems to fit in okay and everything still and itd be much easier than soldering wires to the IC. anyways, does anyone know if this would still work? thanks!

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
did you rip the pad out or did it come loose but still connected?

if you ripped it out it is possible to repair the trace with solder and a sharp knife or razor but on a wii it would be quite hard since the traces are very thin, if it came loose but still hangs on then you can just solder it on the pad and glue the wire down or something to secure it. i really would just say solder it to the chip, only other way would be to scratch off the solder mask and try soldering on a trace but like i said the wii traces are tiny.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No just sticking it back in the hole wouldn't work. Pad gone = solder to ic leg , no other decent options.

aww beaten
cry.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what soldering iron do you use? I've never managed to get one of these pads off. Please use a 15watt max soldering iron, its also good for soldering to the ic legs.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
if you lifted the whole intact solder pad, your iron was no way near hot enough. If you're not useless at soldering, use a fairly hot iron, tin everything, touch the wire to the pad, touch the iron to the wire for a split second and it's done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM