Hardware Rear USB Ports stopped working...

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really starting to steam me. Just recently today, my rear USB ports to my custom desktop PC stopped working...I don't know why this happened. I checked the wiring - no problems. I tried to install drivers - nothing. I'm getting pretty pissed right now

My specs:
i5 6400
MOBO: h110m-a
GTX 1060
8GB ddr4 ram

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did the electricity in your area just recently go out?
I got it working.

I swear to God, if ANYTHING is wrong with your computer, NOTHING will start it. After I found my ports stopped working I turned off my computer several times. The last time I turned it off, it would not turn back on. Now I was furious! You'd be wondering what the hell is wrong after you've gone into your computer and re-wired everything for the 3rd time in a row...

So, recently my FRONT panel USB 3.0 stopped working. My computer just then decided to detect that. I found out that by unplugging the front panel USB 3.0 MOBO connection, my computer would start.

One
Little
Thing

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had USB controllers fail before.

Equally I have had front panel ports short out and that did prevent the system from booting, and if the front panel ports use the same controller/hub as the back one (entirely possible and even probable) then prior to that the controller might have entered a shutdown mode to prevent further damage which would have caused what you saw with the rear ones.

That said one of the basic diagnostic methods for computers is minimal booting -- one stick of RAM, no cables beyond CPU cooler and any graphics one needed, then add hard drive, then add all the RAM... this would have revealed that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night