Gaming Raw power of the NGP

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
There is ZERO chance of a PS2 emulator on Vita. The PS3 can't even emulate the PS2 without having one or two of its chips in there. I don't know how powerful the Vita is though, can it crunch the numbers better than a 3ghz quad? Because that's what you'd need for decent PCSX2 performance

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
synce said:
There is ZERO chance of a PS2 emulator on Vita. The PS3 can't even emulate the PS2 without having one or two of its chips in there. I don't know how powerful the Vita is though, can it crunch the numbers better than a 3ghz quad? Because that's what you'd need for decent PCSX2 performance

The PSP was able to emulate PSX games without issue, I think Sony could be savvy enough to get one for the Vita. Also I'm pretty sure the PS3 didn't emulate the PS2, it was just backwards compatible (not via emulation). Hence why it had some of its chips in there.

PCSX2 is also made by people who are not Sony. For example, the N64 emulator for the Wii (Wii64) performs nowhere near as well as Nintendo's VC games (which are emulated). Sony designed the system, they know the most about it. Plus they have everything at their disposal to make it work, from resources to every bit of info on the PS2.

Karaflaga Tumeeg

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
synce said:

The PSP was able to emulate PSX games without issue, I think Sony could be savvy enough to get one for the Vita. Also I'm pretty sure the PS3 didn't emulate the PS2, it was just backwards compatible (not via emulation). Hence why it had some of its chips in there.

PCSX2 is also made by people who are not Sony. For example, the N64 emulator for the Wii (Wii64) performs nowhere near as well as Nintendo's VC games (which are emulated). Sony designed the system, they know the most about it. Plus they have everything at their disposal to make it work, from resources to every bit of info on the PS2.

I'm pretty sure the UK 60GB models only had some of the PS2 hardware and used emulation to fill in the blanks.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
When Sony initially began removing some of the PS2-specific hardware from the PS3, they relied on emulation to take over what the missing pieces did. Unfortunately, that led to a drop in compatibility for some games. With full removal of PS2-specific hardware, they also removed PS2 playback.

While "at the time" they couldn't (or didn't want to) do it, they could still come back with a PS2 emulator of their own because, as Guild said, they understand their hardware better than anyone.

Waddy101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When Sony initially began removing some of the PS2-specific hardware from the PS3, they relied on emulation to take over what the missing pieces did. Unfortunately, that led to a drop in compatibility for some games. With full removal of PS2-specific hardware, they also removed PS2 playback.

While "at the time" they couldn't (or didn't want to) do it, they could still come back with a PS2 emulator of their own because, as Guild said, they understand their hardware better than anyone.

I don't think they really want to make a PS2 emulator, they're making enough money from the PS2 HD re-makes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: