Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I've been online chatting with a few people recently, and I'm sick of hearing PSP Fanboys how much the DSi sucks and how it's a little girls system. Here, I'm going to list everything you all are saying and what the DS has to offer. While I can't get inside all of your heads and change your opinions, I just want to give you all a brief review of the Nintendo DSi system so maybe you all might shift your perspective a bit.

TOPIC 1: PSP vs DSi

This has been a long and strenuous war, and I'd rather not waste my time on this subject too much. I'll just skip to the first three factors:

Graphics: The PSP, with all the stats and what not beats the DSi's. BUT, the main reason for games looking better on the PSP is the same reason the games on the PS3 look better than the Wii's. While they can never actually match their rivals in stats, they can appear just as good, it's just that not many third party's are willing to take the leap of faith the way Ubisoft did with the Conduit. Examples include Metroid Prime Hunters DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars and COD: WaW.

Applications: Nintendo's focus was never mainly on other features besides games, so they don't match the PSP's exactly. The camera feature on the DSi works fabulously: the quality is incredible in white light, the distortion features are also very good. The DSi sound application has some nifty effect filters: all of which work nicely. The conversion of files is well worth it. Downloading games online is also nice, and the library is fast expanding. While the PSP is more straightforward to use, the DSi's unique add-ons make it well worth the time.

Gameplay: The DSi wins this category hand down. For FPS, the touch screen aiming is incredibly precise and intuitive. The clicky buttons are also incredibly responsive and just feel great. The PSP has an analog stick, which is slightly needed, but the touch screen mainly covers up this issue.

Winner: DSi for fun, or PSP for the hardcore.

Topic 2: Games library

I'll make this short: in order to find the best games for the DSi, then you must look carefully. Amongst the mass of terrible third party titles, there are exceptional titles. To name ten:

1. Pokemon Platinum
2. C.O.P The recruit
3. COD WaW
4. New Super Mario Bros.
5. GTA Chinatown wars
6. Lock's Quest
7. Final Fantasy III
8. DragonBall Origins
9. Metroid Prime Hunters
10. Need for Speed (most of the games in the series)

As you can see, at least 5 titles aren't childish games involving a fat plumber or a pink blob. Look in the right places and you'll find some really premium titles.

Topic 3: Online & More

The Nintendo DSi uses Nintendo Wi-Fi connections, which allows for both local and online play. Metroid Prime Hunters shines particularly in this category, as it is fully online with death matches, capture the flag and others. Multiplayer on the DSi is just pure FUN no matter how you slice it. It's really great for parties, people are always clamoring to play it.

After that incredibly long post, I'd like to thank you for reading and I hope that maybe I've changed your immediate view on the DSi. I encourage you to do some research on some of these games, and enjoy the Nintendo DS platforms as much as I do

FINAL SCORE:
Graphics: 8.5/10
Gameplay and applications: 9/10
Online: 8/10
Overall (not an average): 8.8/10

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Graphics: The PSP, with all the stats and what not beats the DSi's. BUT, the main reason for games looking better on the PSP is the same reason the games on the PS3 look better than the Wii's. While they can never actually match their rivals in stats, they can appear just as good, it's just that not many third party's are willing to take the leap of faith the way Ubisoft did with the Conduit. Examples include Metroid Prime Hunters DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars and COD: WaW.

That's your argument for the graphics? Really? You know the PSP already has two GTA games whose graphics are on par with VC/3/SA, right?

Also you could have picked better games for that "top ten" list, because if that's your argument about why the DS is better than the PSP, don't expect to be winning at next weeks third grade debate club.

Edit

QUOTE said:
Downloading games online is also nice, and the library is fast expanding. While the PSP is more straightforward to use, the DSi's unique add-ons make it well worth the time.

The PSP has had that for a while now.

Gameplay: The DSi wins this category hand down. For FPS, the touch screen aiming is incredibly precise and intuitive. The clicky buttons are also incredibly responsive and just feel great. The PSP has an analog stick, which is slightly needed, but the touch screen mainly covers up this issue.

I'll admit that FPS games aren't exactly fun to play with a single analogue stick, but an FPS game shouldn't be played on anything other than a PC, whether "touch screen controls" are "precise and intuitive" or not. In fact, saying that just turns FPS games into what many gamers ridicule it for, being a point and click game. An analogue stick also works better than a touch screen on many occasions, whether it's being used for camera panning (which is a lot easier with an analogue stick than it is with a touchscreen due to the fact you don't obscure the screen and it's a lot more responsive, even if it takes slightly longer), or steering in a racing game (because the DS' dpad really does suck).

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
the PS3 look better than the Wii's. While they can never actually match their rivals in stats, they can appear just as good, it's just that not many third party's are willing to take the leap of faith the way Ubisoft did with the Conduit.

you trying to tell me the nintendo wii is better than the ps3? no. I think both the handhelds are good and I don't see the point in trying to compare them they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your graphics side is a poor argument. MP:H, CoD:WaW and GTA:CW match PSP's graphics capabilities? haha oh wow. Crisis Core, God of war, Burnout, Ridge Racer and Monster hunter would like a word. in no way can the DS match up the PSP in terms of graphics. sure cellshading and such can contribute to the overall appeal but the psp has much stronger processing capabilities.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vidboy10 said:
I'll make this short: in order to find the best games for the DSi, then you must look carefully. Amongst the mass of terrible third party titles, there are exceptional titles. To name ten:

1. Pokemon Platinum
2. C.O.P The recruit
3. COD WaW
4. New Super Mario Bros.
5. GTA Chinatown wars
6. Lock's Quest
7. Final Fantasy III
8. DragonBall Origins
9. Metroid Prime Hunters
10. Need for Speed (most of the games in the series)

You can't say if it's a exceptional title if it hasn't been released yet. It's like saying that Duke Nukem Forever is the best game ever.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, those are pretty poor arguments.

Still, debating is stupid, especially betweens videogame systems (look up the definition please). Don't do it, it'll kill your braincells more than weed.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, my honest opinion.
I'm a big Ninty fanboy (yes I own a 360 and PS3 and PSP buti I'll sell them soon.) but I think Ninty beats every console besides they're own

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thegame07 said:
QUOTE said:
the PS3 look better than the Wii's. While they can never actually match their rivals in stats, they can appear just as good, it's just that not many third party's are willing to take the leap of faith the way Ubisoft did with the Conduit.

you trying to tell me the nintendo wii is better than the ps3? no. I think both the handhelds are good and I don't see the point in trying to compare them they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
on top of that the conduit looks like crap (im just talking gfx wise here, so backoff fanboys)
it looks like a PC game from over 10 years ago, your could probably compare it to the first HL (and not the source ver, the original)

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I came in this topic expecting to see a rant of how someone is upset that PSP fanboys are bashing the DSi... Instead I came into a topic of someone trying to make a poor rationalization as to why they think the DSi is an equal or better system.

Honestly, the fanboys are just idiots. What they fail to understand is that these systems are designed to appeal to different audiences, the same way the Xbox and Wii cannot be compared, as they have their own target audiences as well (No PS3 mentioned, it's just a lesser Xbox, haha). It's really a matter of personal preference. Do you like the games with touch controls, two screens, and aimed at a casual market, or do you want something with a single screen, fast processor, and superior audio & video capabilities? Of course those are just a few points, but it really matters what you want. If you stand behind the PSP and say the DSi sucks, or vice versa, and immediately try and prove your point, then you're a moron.

All in all, just ignore them
smile.gif
I own a PSP 2000 and a DSi, because I like the flexibility of the PSP and it's media abilities, and I like my DSi because I love casual games.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am very much with War in regards to your post. your opinions are extremely biased, and just goofy to someone who likes both handhelds.
QUOTE said:

1. Pokemon Platinum
2. C.O.P The recruit
3. COD WaW

D

Deleted User

Let's be honest, PSP fanboys will always bash the DS(i), no matter what arguments you choose. However, the ones presented here aren't exactly good, as others already mentioned. It's just that fanboys will always be biased and that they simply don't like "the other systems" for whatever stupid reasons they may have. Stop worrying about them and just ignore their comments.

Vidboy10 said:
Hey guys, my honest opinion.
I'm a big Ninty fanboy (yes I own a 360 and PS3 and PSP buti I'll sell them soon.) but I think Ninty beats every console besides they're own
Why exactly would you do that (except from a financial standpoint)? There are lots (!) of good games on each of them (though I don't own a PS3 myself). I do own a lot of handhelds/consoles and I wouldn't sell them, if it isn't absolutely necessary. I even bought two (additional) Game Gears just two weeks ago.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay serriously now...

These are Probably the most ignorant comments I've heard. If you read my post thoroughly, then you'd realize I said that while the DS can't actually match the PSP in graphics, they can look very close at times.

But t be honest, I should have expected some people like you guys to come burst into the thread going: U FaiL DS sucKZ tey have $hitty graffics1!!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
themuddaload said:
Joe88 said:
thegame07 said:
QUOTE said:

on top of that the conduit looks like crap (im just talking gfx wise here, so backoff fanboys)
it looks like a PC game from over 10 years ago, your could probably compare it to the first HL (and not the source ver, the original)
they made a source gfx version of hl1?? where?? i want!

it was originally called half-life HD pack and came with blue shift
it was the same ver as the PS2 port of HL

collage1qh.jpg

its not a whole overhaul

800px-SurfaceTensionHLS.jpg

but you can see the water is on the source engine as well as some other texture updates

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PSP is awful if you are a gamer in general, graphics is a pathetic argument at the end of the day and when it comes to video game systems, it's all about the games and the DS has way more games in terms, even if a lot of DS games suck they have far more good games for those who want something to play.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
Okay serriously now...

These are Probably the most ignorant comments I've heard. If you read my post thoroughly, then you'd realize I said that while the DS can't actually match the PSP in graphics(No you didn't), they can look very close at times.

But t be honest, I should have expected some people like you guys to come burst into the thread going: U FaiL DS sucKZ tey have $hitty graffics1!!

The majority of the "ignorant comments" in this thread come from the OP and that post.

Go back to 4chan, kid, nobody wants you here.

Joe88 said:
it was originally called half-life HD pack and came with blue shift
it was the same ver as the PS2 port of HL

its not a whole overhaul

but you can see the water is on the source engine as well as some other texture updates

There's also Black Mesa.

QUOTE(DSGamer64 @ Jul 8 2009, 03:25 AM)
The PSP is awful if you are a gamer in general, graphics is a pathetic argument at the end of the day and when it comes to video game systems, it's all about the games and the DS has way more games in terms, even if a lot of DS games suck they have far more good games for those who want something to play.

Difference of opinion, it depends on the type of game you want to play. The problem with DS is is that sure, there are a lot of them, but they're spread out to all sorts of crazy genres, doctor simulation, puzzle, rpg, etc. Sure the PSP doesn't have that many games, but it still gives me enough games to justify my purchase of it, and enough games for me to enjoy it, but since I like it I guess that means I'm not a "gamer".

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
Okay serriously now...

These are Probably the most ignorant comments I've heard. If you read my post thoroughly, then you'd realize I said that while the DS can't actually match the PSP in graphics, they can look very close at times.

thing is you implied that the ds can have better/the same graphics than the psp by saying games can look just as good. which made me bite. and did you really think you'd get "U FaiL DS sucKZ tey have $hitty graffics1!!" on a nintendo based forum?

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:

lol WHAT?
rofl2.gif

Do you HAVE half-life 1??? I just played some of it a few weeks ago for old times sake, and i can tell you now there is a HUGE difference!

HL1 looks like it practically belongs on the N64!!

HL screen:

http://yannick.fleurit.free.fr/Culture/Scr...e%20%281%29.jpg

Conduit screen:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/...649145_640w.jpg

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
chrisman01 said:
Joe88 said:

lol WHAT?
rofl2.gif

Do you HAVE half-life 1??? I just played some of it a few weeks ago for old times sake, and i can tell you now there is a HUGE difference!

HL1 looks like it practically belongs on the N64!!

HL screen:

http://yannick.fleurit.free.fr/Culture/Scr...e%20%281%29.jpg

Conduit screen:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/...649145_640w.jpg

Now that you've posted screens I can actually see where he's coming from on that issue. Most of The Conduits level seems to be constructed of basic flat polygons, a lot like the original HL. The model of that gun is absolutely horrible. Not to mention the texturing on the gun and on the hand.

Maybe it doesn't look as old as HL, but it definatly reminds of the Quake 2 engine.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only dislike the DSi because I can't play Minish Cap, Ninja Five-O, or kill.switch. If it had a GBA slot I'd probably end up buying one.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, this thread isn't called "Half Life vs. The Conduit".

DSGamer64 said:
FINALY!!!! Someone agrees!

@Law: How the fuck was I ignorant? And I only went on 4chan on the day that MJ died so I can see what kinda Lulz they could come up with.

@Pizzaroo: I agree. But IMHO that's the only dissadvantage for the DSi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, idk