[Rant]Man, when did gaming become such a headache?

misanthrope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
FF Tactics did it better and it was 3d only with an isometric view. There have been first person shooters for a long time for example, that doesn't means that the "somebody had to do it first" arguments apply to those FPS games where you stared at a black screen with a bunch of lines, it was better to stay 2d then and it was better to take a different approach to 3d on FF7 too.

Regardless of any subjective opinion on aesthetics, whenever or not you prefer distorted pixelated graphics, it is very easy to observe how any person could have a harder time to distinguish FF7 when compared to FFT.

If its worth doing, its worth doing right. After 6 excellent games I expected that from Square and FF7 was not worth doing just because somebody "had to do it first". Progress has nothing to do with inferior products and rushing technology out of the door, I am not a beta tester.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cry us a river? Also, FF7 came out over ten years ago, and the PSX was the best console at the time, so of COURSE the technology was there. Regarding emulation of PSX games, you should find that they run better on PC than the console itself, provided that you have a decent computer. Still not enough? Get a USB dualshock controller, they're pretty cheap. Still b'awwwing? Buy yourself an actual PS2 controller and an adapter so that you can hook it up to your PC.

Even if you were a jobless kid that could only play PC games, didn't you even have friends that had these consoles? Or even heard from kids about which game is popular, etc? I find it very hard to believe that you've been under a rock for so many years, and not learn anything. If you were the least bit interested in the older generations, you would have at least walked into a grocery store and read a gaming magazine for news.

We can't do anything for you unless you're willing to accept our advice on what's good and what isn't. Hell, there's a forum here that has a list of games that you must have, or at least they think that these games are so good that everyone should own them. It's called the [insert console name] Essentials thread.

misanthrope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ive seen useful advice from other users, from you I only see FF7 fanboyism. And none of you reply to the question: Why is FF Tactics so much better graphically? Clearly FF7 is most certainly not the best that could be done at the time so that is just faulty logic until.

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My thoughts,

I think it comes down to alot of things. Final Fantasy VII used 'AVS' which was Active Status combat, it meant the game had to process commands in Real time - i.e. on the fly, and in 3D. This takes alot of processing power for the PS1. Wasn't FFT a turn based game, it didn't have to process calculations on the fly - less demanding. FFVII also had to play all the materia sequences, such as Shiva. The game disks (All 4 of them) had to store all these materia sequences on each disk as the player could call the sequence at any time during the entire game. The problem was, the PS1 could not store all the information into its' memory so all the materia sequences had to be put on each of the 4 disks, this in turn reduced space which could have been used for more/better graphics. Look at how slow the materia sequences played, it had to store it in memory and then clear it out with new data for the game. It was impossible for the PS1 to store all the materia sequences in memory and have the rest of the game running seperately.

Onto a different note:

About FF7 did people manage to....

Did you manage to defeat...Emerald? and the other monster under the sea, Sapphire? Did you also obtain the Knights of the Round Materia?

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive seen useful advice from other users, from you I only see FF7 fanboyism. And none of you reply to the question: Why is FF Tactics so much better graphically? Clearly FF7 is most certainly not the best that could be done at the time so that is just faulty logic until.
What part of my post indicated that I was FF7 fanboy? None of it. How dare you assume that I would like a mediocre game that could be finished in ten hours? I only mentioned it because it was one of the first things you bitched about, and I didn't feel like reading the rest of your worthless thread. You're only calling attention to yourself by complaining, and this thread was only meant for you. To me, that is very selfish. No one would expect shock from someone that supposedly missed ten years of gaming, but you should have been excited. Appreciate the advances made in gaming. You could have at least made this thread for everyone if the title was something along the lines of "What have you missed in gaming in these previous years?" If you can open your mind a bit, you would have considered the possibility that I haven't played FF Tactics, and maybe other people in this thread haven't. It's your opinion that the graphics are better, not a fact. If you must know, I missed out on PSX days because I only had an N64. I wanted to see what all the hype was about for FF7, so I bought the PC version because the PSX version is so incredibly hard to find without spending $100 USD. And your attitude is unacceptible. Again, as I said before, if you were really interested in games, you would have done some research or even just READ magazines or you know, interact with other human beings that share similar interests with you (namely video games).

I'll even do you a favor and link you the threads I mentioned earlier because you are too lazy.
PSX Essentials
PS2 Essentials
N64 Essentials
Dreamcast Essentials

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
In response to the original question, I would argue the other way - where are the SRPGs for the PC? There's no Disgaea, no Final Fantasy Tactics (unless you emulate them, of course). There are some Japanese PC SRPGs that never came out in the U.S. (and one that did - there's a terrible free, official translation of the original Vantage Masters for Windows [which I totally recommend because it's a great game to play while having your torrents/IM client/etc., running) but for the most part if you want a game like that (and I do) and you don't run Japanese software, you're on a console.

Don't get me wrong - I don't play a lot of PC games - but the ones I do (Civilization 4, Oblivion, X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, Sam & Max) I adore and think they are best on the PC. But for sheer number of games that appeal to me, even just considering the last two generations of consoles, there is a far higher signal to noise ratio on the consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi: