Rainway developer shows off game streaming to the Nintendo Switch

tB6nVKT.png

Andrew Sampson, the developer behind the upcoming application "Rainway", has taken to Twitter to showcase how it works on the Nintendo Switch. Rainway is a game streaming app, that allows for a console's browser to receive connections from a host machine PC, and stream the games to the console via the internet. This is similar in function to other programs, like Moonlight, and Steam's own in-home streaming. Games shown were titles like Nier Automata, Witcher 3, and Undertale, all being smoothly streamed to the Switch.

Rainway is planned for release on November 25, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android. A Nintendo Switch version is scheduled for early 2018. Though the developer has intent to release this program for the Switch, it's not confirmed, nor known if Nintendo themselves would allow something like this onto the eShop. Stay tuned to GBAtemp for further updates.

:arrow: Developer's Twitter

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Um. He confirmed it
There's been no confirmation whether Nintendo will allow that onto the eShop. Only that the dev team plans to release it. Nintendo can, and still likely, will reject it, once it's actually attempted to be put on their store. On June 14, they even say themselves that they can't give a clear definite answer on the apps's chances on Nintendo's platform.

D

Deleted User

There's been no confirmation whether Nintendo will allow that onto the eShop. Only that the dev team plans to release it. Nintendo can, and still likely, will reject it, once it's actually attempted to be put on their store. On June 14, they even say themselves that they can't give a clear definite answer on the apps's chances on Nintendo's platform.

No, it's quite likely. You have to contact Nintendo before showing anything like this - You have to send out multiple emails just to SHOW the thing, let alone before you can publish to eShop

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"all being smoothly streamed to the Switch."

ahhh naaah.. Just by the video i can tell it is not smoothly in the current state.

NieR looks pretty damn smooth to me. Batman doesn't look smooth, but he said he's working out some kinks with that. So I'm sure there is still some fine tuning options to be implemented, but this is definitely impressive so far.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"all being smoothly streamed to the Switch."

ahhh naaah.. Just by the video i can tell it is not smoothly in the current state.
did you play it full screen the video, also, it's recording of a screen with an external camera which is usually shitty and it's still in development

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, nb4 years in the future when we somehow have a switch emulator if it does happen and somebody is streaming a switch game through the emulator onto their switch

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
NieR looks pretty damn smooth to me. Batman doesn't look smooth, but he said he's working out some kinks with that. So I'm sure there is still some fine tuning options to be implemented, but this is definitely impressive so far.

did you play it full screen the video, also, it's recording of a screen with an external camera which is usually shitty and it's still in development

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, nb4 years in the future when we somehow have a switch emulator if it does happen and somebody is streaming a switch game through the emulator onto their switch

Look at the lower left part of the switch screen and the top right of the video. It shows the lower left part of the game on his pc/console and compare delay and the visual lag.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the lower left part of the switch screen and the top right of the video. It shows the lower left part of the game on his pc/console and compare delay and the visual lag.

Well no matter what there will be some lag between what you see on the device being streamed to and the source. But in terms of the video on the Switch, NieR was running very smoothly.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Well no matter what there will be some lag between what you see on the device being streamed to and the source. But in terms of the video on the Switch, NieR was running very smoothly.
Don't get me wrong. I think its cool. But the current state of it is not "smoothly" running. And forget that i said delay if it helps you, but if you compare this 2 corners you can see how laggy it currently is.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong. I think its cool. But the current state of it is not "smoothly" running. And forget that i said delay if it helps you, but if you compare this 2 corners you can see how laggy it currently is.

Just watched the video again.. if that video of NieR on the device isn't what you consider smooth, then I dunno what you're hoping for. A product like this, streaming my PC that fluidly on the Switch is more than I could hope for, and I'd absolutely use the word smooth to explain how that game looks on the Switch.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Just watched the video again.. if that video of NieR on the device isn't what you consider smooth, then I dunno what you're hoping for. A product like this, streaming my PC that fluidly on the Switch is more than I could hope for, and I'd absolutely use the word smooth to explain how that game looks on the Switch.
What does it have todo with the switch? It just a simple local stream with input. Same result will be on any other console or another pc. If this is smooth for you.. here a example of what i see.

Look at 81sec

which of them feels smooth for the eyes? And no, this has nothing todo with "uhhh bad fps". If you think its smooth, good for you.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Now, if we can make both Joy-con work as one gamepad then we can connect it to PC and play those game on Switch :yayswitch:

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Undertale sucks
The number of copies the game sold beg to differ.
And this isn't just me saying it since I'm a fan of the game and where it came from, but the fact that many people who criticize it never played, same goes with Minecraft.
And by playing I don't mean a 5 minute session but a full in-depth hour.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...